Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2010, 13:09   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 53
Thanked: 0 Times
Smile Fabia TDI poor mileage after 2nd service

Hi friends

Recently by fabia completed some 20,000Kms and i had done the second service. After which i find that there is a significant change in mileage of car. It can't be attributed to quality of fuel as i have been refilling from same pump for past 2 years.

Before service Rs1000 gives 600 to 650kms
Now Rs1000 (~27 ltrs) gives 550 to 570 kms
I use only ordinary diesel.

Any ECU calibration is done during service. How can i get the old mileage back?

regards
fabiarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2010, 14:26   #2
BHPian
 
kapilsharma80's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 179
Thanked: 25 Times
Default

Give some time to ECU to map your driving habbits. The average will return or adjust as per your drivig style. My palio takes three to four tank fulls (appx 2400 kms) to adjust after ecu is adjusted ( - vwe cable unplugged from battery).

Also ask the workshop if they fingered with ecu mapping or was it the general ecu reset.
kapilsharma80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 17:31   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 53
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

thanks
i shall wait to see if the mileage improves or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
Give some time to ECU to map your driving habbits. The average will return or adjust as per your drivig style. My palio takes three to four tank fulls (appx 2400 kms) to adjust after ecu is adjusted ( - vwe cable unplugged from battery).

Also ask the workshop if they fingered with ecu mapping or was it the general ecu reset.
fabiarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 18:21   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 529
Thanked: 12 Times
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapilsharma80 View Post
Give some time to ECU to map your driving habbits. The average will return or adjust as per your drivig style. My palio takes three to four tank fulls (appx 2400 kms) to adjust after ecu is adjusted ( - vwe cable unplugged from battery).

Also ask the workshop if they fingered with ecu mapping or was it the general ecu reset.
i dont think it will take 3-4 tank full...
its usually 5-10 min...
Experts please correct me if i am wrong...
zulfikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2010, 18:56   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
gemithomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,364
Thanked: 136 Times
Default

did you give it to the tvm workshop? If you know anyone there, the best would be to send the car back and ask them to check what happened. Just ensure you are with the car and you are informed of what they are doing.

Also check your tyre air pressure. Low air pressure could affect mileage figures very badly
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 16:19   #6
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 53
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Infact i have given to Marikar engineers, pattam.
I will check mileage this time also and talk to them on this.
The pathetic service is another disturbing aspect. I am generally afraid to handover the car to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
did you give it to the tvm workshop? If you know anyone there, the best would be to send the car back and ask them to check what happened. Just ensure you are with the car and you are informed of what they are doing.

Also check your tyre air pressure. Low air pressure could affect mileage figures very badly
fabiarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 18:21   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
vigsom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: AUH<->MAA
Posts: 1,724
Thanked: 582 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabiarider View Post
The pathetic service is another disturbing aspect. I am generally afraid to handover the car to them.
The problem with these cars eg.Skoda is that a private Mechanic cannot diagnose a fault unless the person has an insatiable urge to learn autos and/or has good experience dealing with these cars .So one has to go to the service centre,most of whom are only interested in money making

In your case,it appears to be primarily a ecu issue - let it gather data from your driving style and things should improve

Also,just check for some minor leak in the diesel circuit(hoses,filter joints,pipes etc.)
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2010, 18:43   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,848
Thanked: 7,691 Times
Default

First of all dont do the mileage check by 1000 rs and 10 liter methods etc, always do a tankful test. Easiest way is fill the tank up, slow and steady fill. Drive around for around 100-200 kms and then fill her up again to see how much she is returning. This will give you the closest readings. Also as mentioned above set the tire pressure to company spec and that too when cold.

Regarding service there is nothing much the workshop would have done. So its a good idea to check if the air filter and fuel filter are clean.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:59   #9
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 53
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
First of all dont do the mileage check by 1000 rs and 10 liter methods etc, always do a tankful test. Easiest way is fill the tank up, slow and steady fill. Drive around for around 100-200 kms and then fill her up again to see how much she is returning. This will give you the closest readings. Also as mentioned above set the tire pressure to company spec and that too when cold.

Regarding service there is nothing much the workshop would have done. So its a good idea to check if the air filter and fuel filter are clean.
After the 3rd tank refill, it seems like the mileage has improved much to my relief. Now its comparable to what i have been getting on average before the service.
fabiarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
State of plastic fitments on cars : Poor quality or poor maintenance? libranof1987 Technical Stuff 10 15th January 2011 21:14
Fiat Petra 1.6 ELX - Low Mileage after Service Rai Technical Stuff 8 13th June 2009 17:49
Poor Mileage in Octy Vrs diven_b Technical Stuff 10 10th June 2009 21:43
Poor Mileage - Honda Dio aithal303 Motorbikes 9 13th June 2007 22:25
Alto Mileage after 1st/2nd Service dsinz Technical Stuff 5 8th September 2006 16:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2018, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks