Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 13th January 2010, 19:18   #16
BHPian

What about a manual/electronic boost controller? Are these available in India? GReddy makes electronic controllers. A good way to increase the boost seems to be fitting one of these on the wastegate. It's considered a cheaper investment than a bigger turbo. One of those + a big intercooler from a 407T truck or something might work. Apparently, you can't have an intercooler that's too big!
vivekgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 22:14   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I have picked up a Pajero 2.8 Top mounted inter cooler to fix in my MM540 with the Turbo DI engine. Guess the power increase if any maybe too minor for me to notice, but I still feel cooler air is better for the engine especially in Chennai heat.
4x4addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2010, 22:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I'm sure the Bolero CRDe uses a different turbo or the boost is set higher.
As far I know these are/were the two turbos used by M&M on the engines, the boost on the K03 can be increased and can handle a lot of boost, So do not know if they have changed anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekgk View Post
What about a manual/electronic boost controller? Are these available in India? GReddy makes electronic controllers. A good way to increase the boost seems to be fitting one of these on the wastegate. It's considered a cheaper investment than a bigger turbo. One of those + a big intercooler from a 407T truck or something might work. Apparently, you can't have an intercooler that's too big!
OE Turbos have internal wastgates hence changing to bigger is easy than trying to make them work at higher boost, second option is welding them shut and using an external wastage.
I would suggest stick to M&M components and try and work with them, many thing can go wrong when fiddling with turbo charger and associate components [ mistake happen and can be very expansive].
Anyway you are [or rather where] looking for small increase in power, which can be had with very little component change.
DO NOT BE GREEDY.

@4X4addict, you get a nominal increase in power and it will help the engine run a bit cooler. Heat control is a big issue with these engines.

Last edited by dinar : 13th January 2010 at 22:22.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 07:24   #19
Senior - BHPian

@ 4x4addict : have u tried fitting the intercooler to the MDI TC? Any performance/mileage differences?
ramzsys is offline   Reply With Quote