Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd July 2007, 22:22   #16
BHPian

even i've got a carb esteem Lx(no power steering), am also planning to do stage 1 mods (K&N air filter, freeflow exhaust and polishing my cylinder heads). any idea on how much it would cost? any other suggestions would be well appreciated.
Bruce does your esteem have a rev meter, mine does'nt.
xtremeshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 22:23   #17
BHPian

Just saw how old the posts were, you should have done a performance upgrade by now, any suggestions.
xtremeshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2007, 23:09   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeshock View Post
...any suggestions.
Yes. Contact Psycho.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 17:53   #19
BHPian

.... I'm getting a bit nostalgic, way back I opened this thread, about the 98 Esteem that I had... almost two year have passed, many things happenned with my cars...
I gave the 98 Esteem to my dad, I bought and sold a Baleno, now I'm using a 96 Esteem again!!!
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2007, 21:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce View Post
I gave the 98 Esteem to my dad, I bought and sold a Baleno, now I'm using a 96 Esteem again!!!
You wouldnt be driving one even now unless you were darn satisfied with the previous one. Aren't you ?
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2007, 20:55   #21
BHPian

I'm a Suzuki Freak!! Esteem,Zen are still the Cheap & best mod vehicles around
bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 09:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pity my Esteem

(bumping up a 6 year old thread and my 1000th post too)
Only in TeamBHP, can i find something that i ant to ask, but someone had already created a thread for it.

So the thing is i want a simple FTD car that can take a lot of abuse, its not for point to point transport, for that i use KSRTC buses or my WagonR if with family. am just a college student and need a simple 'boyracer' car.

Looks crazy, but i just need a proper mechanically working car and don't care a hoot about exteriors or interior conditions.

Zeroed on Esteem 1.3 for obvious reasons, but i want to know how it is vis-a-vis 2009 F10d WagonR. The performance can be more or less the same,don't care as its more than enough for our roads. Just want to know the handling and how does the Esteem takes corners at speed. Its a low slung car, but read in another thread that it rolls more than a Ritz in corners.

My budget is 50k rupees (okay, stop laughing), want to know how much will an Esteem 1.3 (carb or MPfi) costs in Kerala and also is it possible to change the 8v head into 16v head at a later stage.

Last edited by DicKy : 17th June 2013 at 09:38.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 11:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post

So the thing is i want a simple FTD car that can take a lot of abuse, its not for point to point transport, for that i use KSRTC buses or my WagonR if with family. am just a college student and need a simple 'boyracer' car.

Looks crazy, but i just need a proper mechanically working car and don't care a hoot about exteriors or interior conditions.

Zeroed on Esteem 1.3 for obvious reasons, but i want to know how it is vis-a-vis 2009 F10d WagonR. The performance can be more or less the same,don't care as its more than enough for our roads. Just want to know the handling and how does the Esteem takes corners at speed. Its a low slung car, but read in another thread that it rolls more than a Ritz in corners.

My budget is 50k rupees (okay, stop laughing), want to know how much will an Esteem 1.3 (carb or MPfi) costs in Kerala and also is it possible to change the 8v head into 16v head at a later stage.
How can a Wagon R be fun? its a tall boy boxy thing!

Why not the all original Maruti Zen?
It handles well, its powered by a 1liter engine which is not so bad considering the power to weight ratio, if you want you can plonk the 1.3 engine in it quietly or get the head ported and polished and add some headers.
I don't know if a 16 valve head can be fitted to it.

The downside of the esteem that I can see is its rear suspension which has the independent setup and is prone to give problems if not maintained but the Zen lacks that issue.
And then you were looking to buy a fun to drive car so why a car with a boot and look like some accountant, when you can go crazy with a hatch that can handle well and also pack a punch when called for. Hows that for a thought?
cheers
Saud
msaudf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2013, 21:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
How can a Wagon R be fun? its a tall boy boxy thing!

Why not the all original Maruti Zen?r. Hows that for a thought?
cheers
Saud
Thanks Saud
The engine is decent in the WagonR considering its basically an '80s design, but in the corners its a downer, though decent handling given the body shape.
I did consider the Zen as its smaller and nimbler, but here the Zen demands roughly twice the value of an Esteem of the same vintage.
old shape Zen is asking for 80k to 150k.
As i have told earlier, am in a tight budget of 50k. You can get Cielos and Astras for that price, but the Esteem will be cheaper to maintain.

Rear suspension is a problem spot,huh? Can live with the rattles and all as long as it has a decent engine and low riding handling characteristics.
Old 17th June 2013, 21:35   #25
Senior - BHPian

If you want a cheap, fun to drive car in stock avatar and costs peanuts to buy, get the Ford Ikon 1.6. Period. Superb handling, Rocam 1.6's got torque and power. Only negative may be 8-9 kmpl FE if driven hard.

Beyond this, I would suggest spending the money on a Playstation.
nitrous is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 00:03   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
I did consider the Zen as its smaller and nimbler, but here the Zen demands roughly twice the value of an Esteem of the same vintage.
old shape Zen is asking for 80k to 150k.
As i have told earlier, am in a tight budget of 50k. You can get Cielos and Astras for that price, but the Esteem will be cheaper to maintain.
check this one out. I just found out!
1.http://kochi.quikr.com/zen-model-for...AdIdZ122066321 1994 for 34,000/- red but a bit banged up.
2.http://kochi.quikr.com/zen-model-for...AdIdZ122066321 1995 for 65,000/- finished in the famous Yellow.
3.http://kochi.quikr.com/96-model-Maru...AdIdZ111181726 1996 for 70,000/- finished in yellow and looks clean.

Last edited by msaudf : 18th June 2013 at 00:08.
msaudf is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 00:31   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msaudf View Post
check this one out. I just found out!
1.http://kochi.quikr.com/zen-model-for...AdIdZ122066321 1994 for 34,000/- red but a bit banged up.
2.http://kochi.quikr.com/zen-model-for...AdIdZ122066321 1995 for 65,000/- finished in the famous Yellow.
3.http://kochi.quikr.com/96-model-Maru...AdIdZ111181726 1996 for 70,000/- finished in yellow and looks clean.
Thanks dude, the Red one is just the type am looking for.
Me just glanced through the first few pages of OLX.
The hunt starts tomorrow.
Old 18th June 2013, 03:53   #28
BHPian

Can I advise you to try Fiat Uno ?

It is a great car. It is fast and safe. It is quiet agile too.

The Esteem is horrible in the corners. A bus is faster in the corners.

A stock Carb Esteem can do 175 KMPH max speed.
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 06:45   #29
BHPian

I have a carb Esteem too, and it can cruise at 140+ all day. Though speaking about maintenance a car of this age becomes high on maintenance. Mine is waiting for complete suspension overhaul, fenders alignment AC compressor is gone and few knick knacks here and there. The car was not being used for last two years but i have started using it again and I am completely in love with the car again once again.
nik0502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2013, 09:39   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

I second nitrous.

If you can extend your budget to ~75k you can get a good condition ikon 1.6, which is a hoot to drive, even when compared to some of todays cars.

Amazing steering, great low end punch, and much more power than the esteem..

Re: Maintenance, I have not had to change any major parts in the last ~two years, but, I guess they are still cheap enough to put a smile on your face.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote