Team-BHP - Learning to brake on a car with ABS
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Learning to brake on a car with ABS (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/73541-learning-brake-car-abs.html)

This morning I had a situation where I had to stop suddenly from a speed of 120 Kmph. Inspite of knowing that I could apply the brakes all the way on an ABS equipped car, instinct took over and I applied less than possible maximum braking . At the time of deciding top buy the car with ABS , I had decided that since I do not have to worry about skidding, I will apply maximum possible breaking in emergency situations to maximise the safety margin (after correcting for other vehicles behind). Even though I stopped comfortably without any danger of collision, I could not bring myself to apply full brakes and stop with an even better safety margin, probably due to my years of conditiioning of driving non-ABS cars.

Can the other members share there view on the subject.

If my understanding of ABS is correct, you should in fact apply maximum pressure during an emergency braking situation. AFAIK the braking distance is NEVER less in a car fitted with ABS. What you do have is complete control of the car that has ABS. And there is no need to pump the brakes at all.

Cheers,
ssbiitm

Quote:

AFAIK the braking distance is NEVER less in a car fitted with ABS.
On dry tarmac, ABS does reduce braking distance. It's only on slippery surfaces that it takes forever to stop.

Stopping distance is also affected by the condition of the brakes and the tyres.

Shan2nu

@adnaps, I guess its a matter of practice / habbit - you got to get used to the ABS, and just stomp on it in case of emergency. On the other hand, I am a believer of "driver first, car next" - no matter what the car has or has not, if you are a good driver, you will pull through - and looks like you did. So why worry?!! Safe driving!

@ssbiitm - you are right about braking distance is never less with ABS, in fact it could be more under certain circumstances vis-a-vis a non-ABS car. But when you have ABS and you do not apply max pressure, it will probably increase the braking distance even further - i guess that is what @adnaps was talking about, as we are used to driving non-ABS cars all this while we tend to not apply max pressure on the brakes or pump the brakes by instinct...

Quote:

Originally Posted by adnaps
Even though I stopped comfortably without any danger of collision, I could not bring myself to apply full brakes and stop with an even better safety margin, probably due to my years of conditiioning of driving non-ABS cars.

Just a mental block.
Get used to looking in the RVM and standing on the brakes. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shan2nu (Post 1679979)
On dry tarmac, ABS does reduce braking distance. It's only on slippery surfaces that it takes forever to stop.

Stopping distance is also affected by the condition of the brakes and the tyres.

Shan2nu

Let us not start a discussion on whether ABS reduces or increases the braking distances. The isssue is discussed enough both in and outside the forum.

The question is how does one get over years of conditioning of driving non-ABS cars and adapt to the use of ABS ?

The ABS helps you to maintain full steering and directional stability when you brakeheavily in an emergency, by preventing the road wheels from locking.It also helps for improved directional stability on slippery surfaces.Repeated application and release of brake pedal may lead to poor braking performance.

Its just about getting used to it. There is no particular learning involved. Just stand on the brakes and look to steer the car.

I have a doubt. Is the ABS system totally fool proof? Can we just stomp on the pedal without any worry?

@Nitrous
Did we not discuss something to this effect with Thad during the last Chennai meet?

Quote:

Originally Posted by unni.ak (Post 1680059)
Its just about getting used to it. There is no particular learning involved. Just stand on the brakes and look to steer the car.

You are very right. But the point is to know how the car would behave when you do it, with and without ABS.

First time I stomped on the pedal while driving inside the city to avoid a sudden intruder,even at 30 kmph speed, the ABS kicked in and a unique thudding sound came from the wheels, but the car stopped almost instantaneously. The lag that ABS introduces automatically when you suddenly stomp the pedal on emergency reflex is not really measureable, but the car stops, without skidding.
At high speeds, whenever possible, it is better to pump the brake a bit before you really HAVE to stand on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gansan (Post 1680076)
I have a doubt. Is the ABS system totally fool proof? Can we just stomp on the pedal without any worry?

Yes you can, except for that truck that could be closing on you from the rear :D

Jus kidding, hope you get the point - as long as there is a necessity, and you do not have an immediate danger in the rear, STOMPPP!!!

Now one more habit that those used to non-ABS may have to consider - when you brake hard on a non-ABS car, you tend to hold the steering tight in a straight line (or just turn the hell out of it) - in ABS cars, you gotta DRIVE even while you are braking hard!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RajaTaurus (Post 1680089)
At high speeds, whenever possible, it is better to pump the brake a bit before you really HAVE to stand on it.

Can you explain why you think it is better to pump the brake in an ABS vehicle ??

Quote:

Originally Posted by ph03n!x (Post 1680137)
in ABS cars, you gotta DRIVE even while you are braking hard!!

Ph03n!x - Can you elobarate please further on that. More on the bit of DRIVE part. Would be helpfule for newbies like me.

Cheers

Quote:

The question is how does one get over years of conditioning of driving non-ABS cars and adapt to the use of ABS ?
You just need to practice. Take your car out on a lonely stretch, take it to about 100kmph and slam the brakes. The more you do it, the more your brain gets used to it and follows the same intructions in case of a panic situation.

Shan2nu

Quote:

Originally Posted by adnaps (Post 1680138)
Can you explain why you think it is better to pump the brake in an ABS vehicle ??

It brings down the speed to some extent before the ABS kicks in, reducing the risk of overshooting your stopping distance. this is normally used in cars without ABS. However, we can reduce the speed by slight slow pumping and then step on the pedal for the ABS to take over.

Also this I got from Wikipedia:
"ABS works with your regular braking system by automatically pumping them. In vehicles not equipped with ABS, the driver has to manually pump the brakes to prevent wheel lockup. In vehicles equipped with ABS, your foot should remain firmly planted on the brake pedal, while ABS pumps the brakes for you so you can concentrate on steering to safety."