Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd March 2011, 09:14   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Electrical issues in my Elantra? Battery draining in 4 days on idle...

As a preliminary check, I suggest you take it to some other Battery dealer for check-up. Most battery dealers offer free check up of battery and electrical circuit. (It's no big work, they keep a voltmeter at the battery terminals and measure the voltage variation when you crank the engine, switch on/off lights, switch on/off ac, switch on/off stereo, etc. They will be able to pin point the equipment that causes 'earthing-leakage' in 5 minutes.

As Dhanushs suggested, it could also be because of a single weak cell in the battery, once it happened to me also.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 23rd March 2011 at 09:15.
jinojohnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 15:23   #17
BHPian

Question Re: Electrical issues in my Elantra? Battery draining in 4 days on idle...

Have been facing serious battery drain issues over the last two weeks. My schedule became very predictable.
  • OMG-->Car doesn’t crank on a weekday in the morning and AC turns on its own
    • Check if time < 8AM, if yes,
      • Call Road side assistance
      • Technician will arrive and jump start the engine and advises me to keep the engine on for one hour wasting precious diesel
      • Car runs fine for two days
      • Go to OMG
    • Else
      • Call Road side assistance
      • Try book an Uber/Ola at 9AM
      • Wearing my smart hat, wait for half hour for surge pricing to end
      • Then book a cab at the highest surge price because of meetings to attend in office
      • Miss all meetings due to traffic
      • Technician arrives before 8AM next morning; jump start the engine and advises me to keep the engine on for one hour wasting precious diesel
      • Car runs fine for two days
      • Go to OMG

Landed on ‘OMG’ thrice and ‘Else’ twice before noticing the pattern!

Eventually, gathered time, courage and mother’s blessings to visit V3 Hyundai service centre on OMR, Chennai. Reached V3 at 930AM without appointment. Was confused to see the sea arrive much sooner. A moment later, realized it isn’t the sea, but day light reflecting off the hoods of a zillion Hyundai cars waiting outside for their turn for service at V3.

Dealer as usual complained he is fully booked, has no parking space, all advisors booked, cannot accommodate ad hoc visits, cleaning too many bird droppings, picking eggs, running after hens, counting beads etc. I coldly told them the car will not start again, so they should arrange for towing to another dealer. For some reason, they felt considerate or perhaps didn’t want to lose an opportunity to milk the cow (err... Elantra) during future maintenance visits. Nah, the guys sounded genuinely warm and immediately arranged for an ECM scan after studying battery voltage readings.

Readings were noted on either sides of a test drive by the advisor. And following was diagnosed.
  • P0685 fault code: ECM/PCM Power Relay Control Circuit issue
  • EPS related fault codes were observed
  • C1102 fault code: battery voltage was down

Unfortunately, I have no idea of what they meant until I returned home and searched online. I could not ask any questions because advisors speak only Tamil and barely any English. The advisor simply said he has deleted the fault codes and I should hope they don’t reappear. If they do, he advised me to take a prior appointment.

I am writing to the group of experts to let me know what I should do now.

Just wait and pray?
bhaskaracs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2016, 19:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Electrical issues in my Elantra? Battery draining in 4 days on idle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaskaracs View Post
Have been facing serious battery drain issues over the last two weeks
Reading your predicament I'd advise you to take the car to a good auto electrician or even an authorised dealer and perform the following tests:

a) Get the alternator diodes/rectifier checked for leakage when the engine is switched off.

b) Any other leakage for e.g. at an aftermarket or OEM accessory. Also, check if the courtesy lights including the boot light switch off when the doors and boot lid is closed? You will need to pull fuses to isolate circuits. Here are a couple of videos that explain the process:

and

c) Take the battery to a battery dealer and have him bench charge it. Running the engine for 1 hour to charge the battery is a serious waste of fuel/money. Also, alternators are designed to maintain battery charge not charge flat batteries.
R2D2 is online now   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote