Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 20th January 2010, 17:13   #1

Default i20 brakes - problem when ignition is off

Hello,

I own an i20 1.2 Asta. I am facing a peculiar problem with brake. Once I switch off ignition, I feel brake is not working! After switching off ignition, if I press and release brake pedal around 3 times, it gets tightened. When I tried to apply a lot of force, brake pedal didn't move. And then I loose braking!! I rechecked this by keeping my car on a slightly inclined surface. Did any of the i20 owners face this problem?

Ravi
aristocratic50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 17:50   #2
jav
BHPian

When the engine is running the brake booster is powered by vacuum which reduces braking effort, when engine is off there is no more vacuum to power the booster which makes the pedal very hard to press. If the pedal gets hard during engine running then there is problem with the brakes.
jav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 18:02   #3
BHPian

There is absolutely no problem with your brakes. Every car fitted with vaccum assisted braking will work in the same manner. Happens in my Vista also.
Maverick1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 18:06   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristocratic50 View Post
Hello,

Once I switch off ignition, I feel brake is not working!
Ravi
Ravi , It actually stops working and that is the way it is supposed to work . The aseembly is vaccum assisted and stops functioning once the engine is shut
jealousdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 18:15   #5
BHPian

Default How Power Brakes Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristocratic50 View Post
Hello,

I own an i20 1.2 Asta. I am facing a peculiar problem with brake. Once I switch off ignition, I feel brake is not working! After switching off ignition, if I press and release brake pedal around 3 times, it gets tightened. When I tried to apply a lot of force, brake pedal didn't move. And then I loose braking!! I rechecked this by keeping my car on a slightly inclined surface. Did any of the i20 owners face this problem?

Ravi
Ravi,

Please go through this thread

HowStuffWorks "How Power Brakes Work"
vvvinod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 18:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

all assisted brakes work this way.brake pedal becomes extremely hard.its absolutely normal.
revtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 18:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Here is a clip from the i20 Manual about Power brakes
Attached Thumbnails
i20 brakes - problem when ignition is off-brakes_p01.jpg  

wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 18:36   #8
Senior - BHPian

Ravi, I hope you read the information provided by other bhipans here before you try to coast down a slope with the ignition off.
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 18:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Ravi, I hope you read the information provided by other bhipans here before you try to coast down a slope with the ignition off.
I hate to admit this but I have done it. It was '95 (I think) I had no idea about brake boosters. Borrowed my friend's Zen for the day. Had a good time driving it around Bangalore and finally while parking it figured I may as well switch off the engine, coast down the ramp and halt. Needless to say the brakes died and if I had not pulled the handbrake in time it would be 'wall, meet car'.
Roy.S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 18:52   #10
Team-BHP Support

Coasting with ignition off was a routine trick in the old days when front drum brakes were the norm, I used to see it done all the time. But most modern cars come with brakes boosters and disc brakes, time to kick the old habit.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 18:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Coasting with ignition off was a routine trick in the old days when front drum brakes were the norm, I used to see it done all the time. But most modern cars come with brakes boosters and disc brakes, time to kick the old habit.
+1 to that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I hate to admit this but I have done it. It was '95 (I think) I had no idea about brake boosters. Borrowed my friend's Zen for the day. Had a good time driving it around Bangalore and finally while parking it figured I may as well switch off the engine, coast down the ramp and halt. Needless to say the brakes died and if I had not pulled the handbrake in time it would be 'wall, meet car'.
Yeah bro, I know it happens thats why I was hoping he has read the comments here. One of my friends got a new esteem many years ago and while coming back from a drive turned the ignition off, as the road was had a gentle slope for quite a distance, like we did on our bikes. The steering locked and the brakes didnt work, thankfully he was able to use the handbrake too as the speed wasnt high.

Last edited by sammyboy : 20th January 2010 at 19:02. Reason: add
sammyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 19:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

No problem mate, even my 6 yr old WagonR exhibits this. Reasons others have already outlined.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2010, 22:15   #13
Senior - BHPian

in fact all cars with brake boosters(vacuum assisted) exhibit this behaviour
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2010, 09:42   #14

Thanks guys.
I tought my ABS is behaving abnormally
aristocratic50 is offline   Reply With Quote