Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 7th September 2005, 15:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

hey, how old was your car when they changed the oil?... as mose manufacturers go by either months or kms whichever is earlier. And yes i myself prefer changing oil in the first 1000km. Though new engines are built to extreme minute tolerances. Its always better. Why we do is is because the bearings are new and tends to set in the 1st 1k kms... when you drain your oil take a bit in a tray and look in the sunlight you will see metal dust in the oil, like metallic paint.

Infact i change oil the first 20 minutes when i start a newly built engine, then at 1000km.

Did they charge for labour as its free... only the lubricant is chargeable.

cheers
Dom
Domnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2005, 15:15   #17
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

yup same with my zen too..changed the oil at the 1st service..charged only for the oil..and once u invest that much on a car y crib about 500 bucks u need to pay for an oil change.. when you drain your oil take a bit in a tray and look in the sunlight you will see metal dust in the oil, like metallic paint...even i was told the same as domnic suggested..
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2005, 17:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdemon
Oh come on guys !!! Oil change at 1000 kms? Running in engine oil? Are u serious?! Wat the hells running in engine oil really? Wat u expect big chunks of your engine to fall off and make the oil black? Have a look at your oil before 1000 kms service... look at house white it is, and how good the consistency is.
If some1 out there has a better reason for changing the oil than "runnin the engine in" then please let me know, otherwise lets just admit that its a bloody clever way to make money!!!!
The whole point of owning a new car is that atleast for the first year u shouldnt need to spend a naya paisa on it! And im not such a stingy person either! I spend on my cars! But I've owned a santro, wagonR, opel, and now swift and theyve never changed the oil during the first service and the cars ran beautifully if i do say so myself!

I will say u are extremely lucky. Next time for a new car change the engine oil and run a srong magnet through it. U will see small metal dust ( for Maruti this will not work as it is AL engine)
pranil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2005, 19:38   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh come on guys !!! Oil change at 1000 kms? Running in engine oil? Are u serious?! Wat the hells running in engine oil really? Wat u expect big chunks of your engine to fall off and make the oil black? Have a look at your oil before 1000 kms service... look at house white it is, and how good the consistency is.
If some1 out there has a better reason for changing the oil than "runnin the engine in" then please let me know, otherwise lets just admit that its a bloody clever way to make money!!!!
The whole point of owning a new car is that atleast for the first year u shouldnt need to spend a naya paisa on it! And im not such a stingy person either! I spend on my cars! But I've owned a santro, wagonR, opel, and now swift and theyve never changed the oil during the first service and the cars ran beautifully if i do say so myself!
Hey man, be fair on the MUl guys. If they hadn't changed the oil, and it led some problems later on in the car's life you'd still be complaining. besides, was the oil change not included in the 'free service'? And like the others said, it is necessarry and beneficial for many cars.
Deeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 05:47   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes amit and cream palio has its first service at 7500km.
Palio has it's first service at 1000kms and second service at 7500kms. I remember some market research agency had advised fiat to change it's service intervals and have it's first service at 1000kms. This was done to improve customer service and create a longer relationship with the customer. so Fiat, merely asks, owners to bring in the car, the technicians go over the car to check if there is any problem or leakages..In other words, nothing is done in the palio first service. It's just a trick to make customers feel relaxed and calm..guess Indian's still are not comfortable with have the very first service done at a high mileage of 7500kms..
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 10:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

what i meant is according to the manual the first free service(changing oil,filter etc) is at 7.5K km.
merve_extreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2005, 15:19   #22
DRC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
Cream is right. My Palio S10 also had it's first oil change in the second service at 7500kms.
So did my petra..only at 7500KMs..
Shouldn't we agree the manufacturer knows best about their engines..More than dealerships and mechanics!!
DRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 20:48   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
But I've owned a santro, wagonR, opel, and now swift and theyve never changed the oil during the first service and the cars ran beautifully if i do say so myself!
Hold on there. I do not know about the Santro and Opel. But for a WagonR (infact all Maruti cars) there definitely is an oil and filter change during the 1st service (which is usually at 1000kms or 1 month from purchase, whichever is earlier).

Quote:
Well, whether you choose to believe it or not, the metal filings that contaminate the oil during the running-in period are the reason why the oil has to be changed. The metal parts that are in close contact with each other have minute ridges which get smoothened out during the initial running. These end up in the oil and need to be expelled to prevent damage to the engine. And as you think, it is not about the oil turning black.

However, what is debatable is the rationale behind the 1K km period. IMO, much before 1K kms itself (say within the 1st 50-100 kms or so), the rough parts would have smoothened out and the oil should be having the metal particles. Will it not be better to replace the oil at this time itself instead of retaining the oil for another 900kms by which time it could course through the engine and do damage ?
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2006, 23:11   #24
BHPian

IIRC, my Opel corsa also had the first oil change at 1000kms after which the service interval is 10K....

Why cribbing SPDemon, even if the oil change wasn't absoulutely necessary...it'd have been an expense of just a few 100s..
even if it reduces the chances of future complications by 10%, its absolutely worth it...

ALso, However precisely machined the engine block maybe, ther will be some microscopic tearing on the walls during the run-in (which is why it is called the run-in and which is why you are not supposed to rev up the engine in this period)

And no, I don't think youll be able to notice that in the drained oil with your naked eye, but that doesn't mean you don't change the oil...
abhi182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2006, 02:50   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Oh come on guys !!! Oil change at 1000 kms? Running in engine oil? Are u serious?! What the hells running in engine oil really? Wat u expect big chunks of your engine to fall off and make the oil black? Have a look at your oil before 1000 kms service... look at house white it is, and how good the consistency is.
Dont you even know what running-in is all about ? Im surprised how can you decide that oil is not contaminated by looking at the color of the engine oil during "running-in" , how can the color show the worn metal particles in the oil ?

Quote:
Come on maan , what do you think what everyone saying here is wrong ?
you need to get your basics right before you get into the finer details of running in an engine.

Quote:
The whole point of owning a new car is that atleast for the first year u shouldnt need to spend a naya paisa on it! And im not such a stingy person either!
I dont think that saving money on engine oil during running in a new engine qualifies as something where money can be saved.

Quote:
I spend on my cars! But I've owned a santro, wagonR, opel, and now swift and theyve never changed the oil during the first service and the cars ran beautifully if i do say so myself!
Just by purchasing those cars doesn't qualify you to declare that engine oil should not be changed during running in. It is a basic fact that during running in there is additional wearing down of various parts which contaminate the oil. You have not realised this even after owning all those cars by now ?

Moderators and senior Bhpians plz advise.

Last edited by chetanhanda : 7th April 2006 at 03:07.
chetanhanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2006, 06:32   #26
Senior - BHPian

VolksWagen first oil changes are done at 8,000kms but then they use synthetic oil. From posts here, MUL does first oil changes at 1,000kms. My Palio had it's first oil change at 7500kms but none of these car makers require the use of synthetic oil. I wonder how Fiat required first oil change at 7500kms. Having said that, I never had any problems with the car and neither have other owners so i guess Fiat knows what it's doing.
amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2006, 06:58   #27
Team-BHP Support

The Getz has its first scheduled oil change as per the service manual @ 10000 kms and it uses normal mineral oil. This is according to the owners manual. I dont know what method is right.

And for the Santro it is 9000 kms as far as I remember but will check the manual and get back on this one.
moralfibre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2006, 10:09   #28
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
The Getz has its first scheduled oil change as per the service manual @ 10000 kms and it uses normal mineral oil. This is according to the owners manual.
My 1999 Maruti Omni (carb) had its first scheduled oil change at 1000 km. My 2003 Tata Indica LSi had its first scheduled oil change at 10000 km - no synthetic oil here either.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2006, 11:39   #29
BHPian

HI,
on my Optra they changed the oil in the first service i.e after 1000KM / 1500KM...
i think we should get the oil changed in the first service itself...

well i get it changed every 3000KM on my optra...
zulfikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2006, 11:51   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit
VolksWagen first oil changes are done at 8,000kms but then they use synthetic oil

Arent synthetic oils supposed to be used a few 1000 kms after running in ...as the general story going around is that using syn.oil in brand new engine will not allow the engine parts to bed in properly ....
why does VW use syntheic oils right from day one...is it only with VW ????or do others also do the same ....

dont VW engine parts need running in ???????
speedsatya is offline   Reply With Quote