Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th December 2010, 20:15   #16
BHPian

Default Re: "ssss" sound in my Alto

Loose tappet means more gap which leads to sound but that sound is something like that comes from jeep engine, petrol engine starts sounding slightly like jeep diesel engine. Due to wear and tear in high mileage engine tapped gap increases which can be adjusted using a gauge (like one used to adjust spark plug gap).

Anyway all is well if the sound is gone. After you drive about 500km you might experience this sound (very lightly though) again. So get it adjusted again. Tapped adjusted after two or maximum three settings of 500Km gap sets you free for quite some time.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 20:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

^^ Hey mate, thanks again for your prompt response. As suggested, I would keep a tab on the engine sound & would get it checked at an interval of about 500 kms. However, why is it that the tappet adjustment takes about 2-3 shots to be set properly & like you said, free us for some time?

Drive safe.
blackfire_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 20:47   #18
BHPian

Tappets do a lot of tapping (tap tap tap.......) as you rev the engine so when its re-adjusted after some wear, the gauge although adjust it fine for some time but after some more tapping the gap increase, now this increase is not due to wear but due to many other reasons like expansion due to heat and also bedding in adjustment (its screw type) system.
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2010, 23:15   #19
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm. I need to investigate this further. I have a similar, very mild noise, one which you probably will never notice, but has been prevalent since the time i bought the car. When everything is very silent, i can hear a very soft very mild whinning sound. Alls fine, mechs have never been able to find anything. I have also ignored it, but out of curiosity would love to figure our what is causing this
thedreamcatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2010, 09:42   #20
Senior - BHPian

Thought of sharing a couple of problems i am currently experiencing in my Alto.

The first problem is of loose rear windscreen. I think the rubber beading is loose. Though can't confirm whats the reason but i am sure the sound (while driving) is from the rear glass which vibrates. What can be done for rectifying this.

The second problem (which is sort of a headache for me) is of rattling near the steering/speedo column. There is a constant chir chir noise and it increases with the car's speed. The sound it so much frustrating that i cannot go above 65KMPH as the noise is just too much. Was wondering if anyone experienced this in their car (Alto Lxi) or can help in locating the right spot.
samsag12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd November 2011, 17:12   #21
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Peculiar problems with Alto LX (800cc)

Hi all,

I am reviving this thread after a long time because it seems that the tappets have gone out of setting once again & need to get them set within tolerances.

However, the idea of trying this out on my own hs struck my mind & I want to try it out once & see how it goes. Can anybody assist me in this regard or maybe post some pic by pic guide on how this can be done.

Looking forward to some replies & assistance.

Drive safe.
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:15   #22
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Post Re: Peculiar problems with Alto LX (800cc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
Hi all,
I am reviving this thread after a long time because it seems that the tappets have gone out of setting once again & need to get them set within tolerances. However, the idea of trying this out on my own has struck my mind & I want to try it out once & see how it goes. Can anybody assist me in this regard or maybe post some pic by pic guide on how this can be done.
Hi BlackFire, I hope pictures of the valve lash adjustment procedure from the service manual would be of some use...

Peculiar problems with Alto LX (800cc)-f8d_valve_lash_adj_0.jpg

Name:  F8D_Valve_Lash_Adj_1.JPG
Views: 1804
Size:  159.7 KB
im_srini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2011, 12:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Peculiar problems with Alto LX (800cc)

^^ Hey mate, thanks for the prompt response. Using your post, I did try but stopped mid-way as I couldn't make much sense of what I was supposed to do after opening the head cover. In fact, doing this for the first time, I ended up burning a couple of fingers

I got it done from MASS then, but I hope I can do it some other time in the presence of some competent guy/mechanic so that I can also learn the trick of this trade called "Tappet adjustment".

@ALL: Is there anyone from Delhi who can help me with this?

Drive safe.

Last edited by blackfire_9 : 12th November 2011 at 12:08.