Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th January 2010, 23:08   #16
lsp
BHPian

I would suggest you scrap it. The damage though repairable wont leave your car as reliable as before, even after repair. The car has done its job of protecting you once. Please do get a complete health checkup for yourself.

IMO expecting 50k for scrap is high. Though I havent dealt with scrap dealers myself.
lsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2010, 23:31   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
I would suggest you scrap it. The damage though repairable wont leave your car as reliable as before, even after repair. The car has done its job of protecting you once. Please do get a complete health checkup for yourself.

IMO expecting 50k for scrap is high. Though I havent dealt with scrap dealers myself.
Thanks Isp. I complete;y agree with you, the car has done a good job of protecting me once. I have done a complete checkup for myself. Nothing to worry but I still have chest pain guess its because the steering wheel hit me
djjebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 11:45   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Whoa, that's a pretty nasty front end collision. Glad you are okay, but get yourself checked thoroughly for internal injury (if you haven't already).

About the car, it's a pretty straight forward calculation.

1. Cost to retain the car : 50K (scrap value) + 60K (repair. Total 1.1 lakhs.

2. On the other hand, 1.1 lakhs can very well get you another Santro in Bangalore. In fact, depending on your budget, if you stretch, you can end up with a far newer non-accident car.

My suggestion : Dispose and replace. If you do decide to get the car repaired, make sure the mechanic is very competent. The Santro's frame needs repair and unless its done right, the car will never drive the same again.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 19:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Sorry for barging in

Sorry for barging in your thread djjebs.

I had a similar query of my own. My dad's 2007 Innova met with an accident last week. It took quite a bit of damage. Some moron driving a Hyundai Accent rammed into it at full speed coming from a cross road.

The question I want to ask is that, looking at the pictures, is it worth getting the damages repaired or is it better to claim for total loss from the insurance guys? The ASC in Mysore have given a quote of 4.5 L + tax for repairs. The insurance guys have surveyed the damage and are yet to get back to us.

My dad has almost made up his mind to go for a new vehicle as soon as the insurance mess is sorted out. Is it better to get it repaired & sell it or claim for total loss? Somebody, please give me some suggestions.

The innova. Luckily, the front axle took most of the damage
Need a suggestion: To repair or dispose-front.jpg
Need a suggestion: To repair or dispose-side1.jpg
Need a suggestion: To repair or dispose-side2.jpg

The white accent which rammed into the Innova
Need a suggestion: To repair or dispose-accent.jpg
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th January 2010, 20:10   #20
BHPian

GTO: Thanks, good to hear from you. I guess thatís what Iím going to do. Dispose & replace. The frame has been hit, that is my concern as well. Iím sure even if I get it done it will not be the same how it was. Regarding myself Iíve checked myself, no internal injury as well. Appreciate your concern.

addyhemmige: Thatís a pretty nasty hit. I hope your dad/you are fine. I guess the gurus would answer your query better.
djjebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 02:06   #21
BHPian

Good decision djjebs,
I am surprised that in Bangalore you are able to get 50k as scrap value of 10 years old accidental condition car. If buyer interested do this at earliest.
About your second car (& your budget of Rs. 1.5 lacs), Just wait for 1-Apr-2010 and see the drastically down second hand value of BS III cars and it will be easy for you to get a well condition snatro/ wegron-r etc for very reasonable price.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 02:10   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by addyhemmige View Post
or claim for total loss?
Insurance company agreed for this? If yes defiantly do this.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 18:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjebs View Post
addyhemmige: Thatís a pretty nasty hit. I hope your dad/you are fine. I guess the gurus would answer your query better.
Actually, the vehicle was driven by a driver and my grandfather & his brother were the passengers. The driver suffered broken ribs while my grandfather who was in the passenger seat suffered bruises and a hairline fracture in his ribs. Out of danger now.

Yes, I'm hoping the gurus will answer my query

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Insurance company agreed for this? If yes defiantly do this.
It seems the surveyor has recommended the claim for total loss. But, we have not heard from the company yet.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 18:46   #24
Team-BHP Support

I would sell it as it is. Even if you had comprehensive insurance, considering the age of the car, you would have shelled out a lot
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 18:55   #25
Senior - BHPian

Agree with GTO

Pl give away the car as is and get yourself another car with a cash top up .
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 18:55   #26
BHPian

@djjebs

I would never let go of an excuse to replace an old car with a new one, but on a serious note - do you think the vehicle will be back in perfect driving condition without any niggles even if you spend a lot on getting it repaired?

If I were you, I would scrap it and go for a new one. If you repair it and sell it, I guess you might lose your peace of mind if the purchaser has any problems in the future. Not worth it.
@ addyhemmige

Depends on the extent of damage. Can't seriously tell from the pic! If for 4.5 L + taxes, the vehicle will be back in original (well almost) condition, then it is worth the effort. Use it for another 2-3 yrs and then you can sell it! What say?
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 19:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whoa, that's a pretty nasty front end collision. Glad you are okay, but get yourself checked thoroughly for internal injury (if you haven't already).

About the car, it's a pretty straight forward calculation.

1. Cost to retain the car : 50K (scrap value) + 60K (repair. Total 1.1 lakhs.

2. On the other hand, 1.1 lakhs can very well get you another Santro in Bangalore. In fact, depending on your budget, if you stretch, you can end up with a far newer non-accident car.

My suggestion : Dispose and replace. If you do decide to get the car repaired, make sure the mechanic is very competent. The Santro's frame needs repair and unless its done right, the car will never drive the same again.

I would have suggested the same logic, +1 to what GTO said.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th January 2010, 20:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

If you think with heart (sentimental with the car), then do not worry about the cost to get it in perfect shape. If you're practical (think through brain), sell it off for how much ever it can fetch & go in for a new car or a used one depending upon your budget.

The reason for me to tell this is because I'm more attached to my vehicles. Likewise there's an incident that happened several years back (some where in 90's) at Nungambakkam. A lorry overran an Rx100 & shattered into pieces (crushing the entire engine & frame), like a car being crushed in junkyards. It was so surprising that the owner came out of the accident with few scratches. This guy thought that the Rx saved his life & hence instead of purchasing a new one, he went in to restore the bike.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 14:57   #29
BHPian

I wouldn't suggest keeping either of the cars. My cousin had a similar head on accident in his Tata mobile. he got it repaired from tata authorized service station. However things once damaged are damaged. The steering wheel was never stable after a speed of 70+. Finally even he ended up trading it off.

My suggestion would be to give away these vehicles. (Though it gets difficult to take the decision when you have sentiments attached to it)
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2010, 15:26   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjebs View Post
The problem here is even if I spend 60k to get it back to a good condition my mechanic says you might face problems. I'm in a fix

Spoke to guy who buys vehicles in scrap, says the best price I can get is around 50k. What say guys, sell or keep?
+
60k is what the quote recieved from the mechanic (not ASC which will be definitely more) and who knows what would be the expense finally. Definitely 60k can lead to another 10 or 15k. For a 9 year old car, what you will get in the market (consider that this is an accident car)-around rs 1 lakh.?
Seems not worth taking risk and repairing it and then selling at a loss.
Straightaway you are getting rs.50k from scrap + add the repair cost of Rs.60 or so, you can go for an accident free car of similar age.?
nairrk is offline   Reply With Quote