Team-BHP - Engine oil capacity of Indigo's 475idi Diesel engine
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Engine oil capacity of Indigo's 475idi Diesel engine (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/74676-engine-oil-capacity-indigos-475idi-diesel-engine.html)

I need to know the exact quantity of Engine oil for the Tata Indigo's 475 IDI TC engine .
The service manual recommends 5.5 lit though the 475 IDI NA diesel used to take 4.5 lit. only if i am not mistaken.
On filling 5 litres only with filter change the dipstick max. mark is breached by 2/3 mm. Somebody suggested that maybe half lit.of old oil remains in the sump, which personally i am not sure of.
I suspect it takes only 5 lit. but since most Tata's motors consume some amount of engine oil through the drain interval of 7500 km / 6 months , it may take say about 250 ml more ( over 5 lit.) as top up.
But 5.5 lit. at the time of oil change seem unlikely.
Is it one of the Tata typos?
I read that earlier Vista manuals too specified 3.7 lit of oil as against about 3.2 taken by the same engine in swift / fiat.

The point is you'll realize that you are probly being charged for half a litre more only if you get the oil changed outside the TASS.
Can anyone shed light on this ?

I did change the oil today.
I actually managed to try to drain the oil in 3 different positions ( of elevations ) and also level position, to drain the sump entirely , and managed to put exactly 5 lit. only. ( Somebody had suggested that maybe half a lit. of old oil remained inside the engine )
I have no doubt in my mind anymore,has TATA been fooling us ?.
like they did with the the Vista QJD. Only because the same engine is available with other car makers , did people realize that maybe they are being charged for more than the actual quantity going in )
Apart from that i had other fluids changed and realized that ...... ( Sorry off topic )

1) takes about 3 lit. of gear oil against 3.3 lit as specified by the company
2) and less than 250 ml of brake fluid against 270 ml
3) 5 lt. of engine oil against 5.5 lit.

Regards,
Kedar

The oil cannot be completely drained there will still be some oil remaining in pipes, turbo, oil filter (if not replaced), vacuum pump, rear alternator bearing...etc

when i change the engine oil i let the oil drain for over 2 hours only then i can fill 4.5l without crossing max mark

last time i changed my gearbox oil i managed to fill 3.3 after letting it drain for hours lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jav (Post 1713096)
The oil cannot be completely drained there will still be some oil remaining in pipes, turbo, oil filter (if not replaced), vacuum pump, rear alternator bearing...etc

when i change the engine oil i let the oil drain for over 2 hours only then i can fill 4.5l without crossing max mark

last time i changed my gearbox oil i managed to fill 3.3 after letting it drain for hours lol:

I did change the filter and changed it at operating temperature & also gave it sufficient time. If entire oil cannot be drained off, can T A S S fill off 5.5 lit back :D. And surely they dont drain for 4 hrs .
But they surely charge for it....
The old NA 475 IDI used to take 4.5 lit. The TC engine with its larger oil filter and turbo may take half a lit. more but sure as hell not a lit. more.

I think thats the reason i always used to see the oil above the max mark when i used to get my car serviced at the service center

hmmm maybe its the two pipes which carry the oil to and from the turbo together with the larger oil filter and turbo the reason for a lit. more in the oil capacity?

My G13B says 3.3 Litres in the owners manual.
But, I can fill not a drop over 3 litres.
Is Maruti/Suzuki taking us for a ride too? :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by jav (Post 1713139)
I think thats the reason i always used to see the oil above the max mark when i used to get my car serviced at the service center

hmmm maybe its the two pipes which carry the oil to and from the turbo together with the larger oil filter and turbo the reason for a lit. more in the oil capacity?

I RECKON not . I think the turbo drains oil of pretty quickly and infact thats the reason why you are supposed to idle for a min or 2 for the turbo to spool down before turning the ignition off.
1 LIT.is way too much for the 475 idi block. I believe the larger filter itself takes about 250 ml more. So 500 ml ought to be reasonable amount for extra oil requirement over the natuarally aspirated motor.
Is the oil sump larger ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 1713207)
My G13B says 3.3 Litres in the owners manual.
But, I can fill not a drop over 3 litres.
Is Maruti/Suzuki taking us for a ride too? :p

yes. if you overfill it 'll overflow , so its not as if you can fill more. or can you ?

@Highnoon. This is a very good info you have provided to all of us.If we are changing the oil outside of TASC and opting for MOBIL. One had to purchase a 7.5 litre pack as they have 5litre pack and then 7.5 litre pack or purchase a one litre pack extra.If the car does not take 5.5 litre oil we need not buy the 7.5 litre pack with extra engine oil being kept unused for long periods of time. It saves money also and everytime we can use fresh oil and not to use the remaining extra oil in the 7.5 litre pack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 (Post 1714397)
@Highnoon. This is a very good info you have provided to all of us.If we are changing the oil outside of TASC and opting for MOBIL. One had to purchase a 7.5 litre pack as they have 5litre pack and then 7.5 litre pack or purchase a one litre pack extra.If the car does not take 5.5 litre oil we need not buy the 7.5 litre pack with extra engine oil being kept unused for long periods of time. It saves money also and everytime we can use fresh oil and not to use the remaining extra oil in the 7.5 litre pack.

Hi Amit,
Only catch is that you would need some oil to top up during the drain interval.

Top ups shouldn't happen in a healthy engine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitrous (Post 1715227)
Top ups shouldn't happen in a healthy engine.

Hi Nitrous!

About the new noise in my indigo. .. It starts sometimes on starting the car ( normally ...without depressing the clutch ). I mean just cranking. On starting , there is a lot loud and course sounding idle and with increased vibration.
I realize it goes away on accelerating or a tap on throttle.
And also by depressing the clutch.
Also sometimes on startin the motor, the noise comes on for a fraction before resuming normal idle.
Never happens when car is running.
Has no correlation to cold starts or a hot engine... may even occur after an hour long drive on restarting.
though it goes away , this thing is on my mind. Hate to have a active problem in the car.:(
Consulted 2 mechanics , both seem to suggest its a well known problem of tatas. Something to do with gear bearing or some such.
Any ides? My thread was deleted, though honestly i couldnt find any related thread.

I replaced engine oil on my Vista TDI (Indigo Engine) and I could fill only 5L oil. The oil was just at the top mark of the dipstick.So now I too confirm that 0.5L either cannot be drained or the 5.5L written in the manual is wrong. Or might be TATA measured 5.5L for a new factory built engine which had not been filled with oil earlier.Once you fill it you cannot refill it with 5.5L again.

Re: Vista TDI- Engine Oil capacity 5L not 5.5L
Hi Amit,
i am somehow reluctant to believe that as much as half a litre remains inside. This coupled with TATA goofup with the quadrajet vista specs just confirm my suspicion of the half a lit of fraud, if i may say so.
Even if we assume that we just cant drain the last half a litre , TASS still charges you for it every time.
Now they been doing it so long they cant even go back and admit the goofup.
I somwhow dont trust any authorized service stations anymore.
Even Maruti and Hyndai who are rated highly in the customer service satisfaction are not at all above petty theft.
They are careful only if they feel you know a li'l bit too much about the technicals to be fooled.
Now ,I just buy original spares and get the job done under own supervision.

kind regards,
Kedar

Quote:

Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 (Post 1811858)
I replaced engine oil on my Vista TDI (Indigo Engine) and I could fill only 5L oil. The oil was just at the top mark of the dipstick.So now I too confirm that 0.5L either cannot be drained or the 5.5L written in the manual is wrong. Or might be TATA measured 5.5L for a new factory built engine which had not been filled with oil earlier.Once you fill it you cannot refill it with 5.5L again.

I believe its happening in most cars , even safari. Read somewhere on the thread about the confusion over the quantity of engine oil in Safari.