Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2010, 17:52   #1
BHPian
 
RJ555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 95
Thanked: 11 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Battery life_swift diesel

Mine is 2007 Dec model swift Ldi clocked 54k, 2 days back i gave my vehicle for servicing with the maruti dealer with whom i have been servicing since beggining, in the report they instructed me to change the batteries as the condition is weak. i wanted to cross verify & checked with 3 battery daelers, they also gave the same report, but to mention i never faced starting problem nor my lights or horn went down(have 100/90 philips rally HL bulbs, hella & Stebel horns). My electrician checked the car and said 14 volt is generaed in idling itself & nothing to worry. Im not able to finallize on whose report to decide. will driving this way affect the dynamo or will i face problem if im taking on highways. planning a 1.5 k trip during next week. wnat to know if its advisable to change teh battery. if so i have shortlisted Bosch... is that a good choice...
RJ555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 20:51   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
R2D2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Punya Nagari
Posts: 1,894
Thanked: 1,139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ555 View Post
they instructed me to change the batteries as the condition is weak. i wanted to cross verify & checked with 3 battery daelers, they also gave the same report, but to mention i never faced starting problem nor my lights or horn went down(have 100/90 philips rally HL bulbs, hella & Stebel horns). My electrician checked the car and said 14 volt is generaed in idling itself & nothing to worry.
Their assessment maybe based on the tests that they conducted which shows voltage of <9.6 when on load. A battery can turn your engine over and give you no indication that its dying till one day it just gives up and usually at the most inopportune moment. The 14v output at idle only proves that the alternator is working fine. After a Sp. Gr test and/or open circuit voltage test, the best way to assess a battery is thru a load test.

If you are going on a long trip best to replace the battery, dont take chances. Bosch or Amaron should be good as is Exide in my experience. Amaron is the current fav on TBHP, with Bosch coming in close. Exide is elicits extreme responses. Tata Green is too new to comment on.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 21:12   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 447
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Did you undertook the specific gravity test of the cells. By this you can determin if the pH level of the acid is ok & also wether any of the cell is getting weak. If all cells are healthy & pH is fine then nothing to worry. Even if one cell is weak or weakening then it is time to change as one day suddenly it will start loosing the charge. Checking specific gravity is very simple, any of the delaer will have a big sucker like tube which can detrermine the cell quality. You can also try to call Exide Mobile helpline for final analysis at your door step.
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2010, 21:21   #4
BHPian
 
vrrraju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 185
Thanked: 28 Times
Default

RJ, You can carry out the test to find if any one of the cells have gone week. Even though the Voltage on such a battery will be normal since you would have driven for some time before checking, it will not be accurate.Recently my 2007 Swift gave away the battery one fine day when I left my cabin lights overnight. Even though you would have left your car locked it does consumes battery as it utilizes the power for the Auto Locks and Keyless entry. When it goes below the threshold then it automatically unlocks the car which could be risky if you leaving it in some parking place. Since you are planning for long drive, better to get it checked up.

You can also call the Amaron helpdesk they usually respond fast.
vrrraju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 10:05   #5
BHPian
 
RJ555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 95
Thanked: 11 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamtheLeo View Post
Did you undertook the specific gravity test of the cells. By this you can determin if the pH level of the acid is ok & also wether any of the cell is getting weak. If all cells are healthy & pH is fine then nothing to worry. Even if one cell is weak or weakening then it is time to change as one day suddenly it will start loosing the charge. Checking specific gravity is very simple, any of the delaer will have a big sucker like tube which can detrermine the cell quality. You can also try to call Exide Mobile helpline for final analysis at your door step.
Thanx sam for your valuable advise, had the ph levels checked, report was "all cells are little weak" not sure what little means. but what makes me confused is not even once i had issue in starting etc,,, is it right choice to change battery now or should i wait?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrrraju View Post
RJ, You can carry out the test to find if any one of the cells have gone week. Even though the Voltage on such a battery will be normal since you would have driven for some time before checking, it will not be accurate.Recently my 2007 Swift gave away the battery one fine day when I left my cabin lights overnight. Even though you would have left your car locked it does consumes battery as it utilizes the power for the Auto Locks and Keyless entry. When it goes below the threshold then it automatically unlocks the car which could be risky if you leaving it in some parking place. Since you are planning for long drive, better to get it checked up.

You can also call the Amaron helpdesk they usually respond fast.
thanx for commenting raju...will take a decision sooner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Their assessment maybe based on the tests that they conducted which shows voltage of <9.6 when on load. A battery can turn your engine over and give you no indication that its dying till one day it just gives up and usually at the most inopportune moment. The 14v output at idle only proves that the alternator is working fine. After a Sp. Gr test and/or open circuit voltage test, the best way to assess a battery is thru a load test.

If you are going on a long trip best to replace the battery, dont take chances. Bosch or Amaron should be good as is Exide in my experience. Amaron is the current fav on TBHP, with Bosch coming in close. Exide is elicits extreme responses. Tata Green is too new to comment on.

Cheers!
Your comments are usefull R2D2... overall i could see people insisting to replace the battery. let me do that before i could jump start the car, but only thing that worries me is " is the battery really weak" coz no signs experienced...

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th February 2010 at 18:40. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
RJ555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 16:26   #6
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,772
Thanked: 273 Times
Default A multimeter to the rescue

Why don't you invest in a multi meter? They are inexpensive and range from Rs. 100 to Rs. 700. It is a very handy tool to check the health of your car battery not to mention the other uses for it around the house.
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 16:42   #7
BHPian
 
epicenter.rulez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Valsad
Posts: 208
Thanked: 167 Times
Default

the battery will give ample warnings when its going out. the engine will take a while to crank. sometimes, the engine check lights may go up, and so may the water seperator or service vehicle or both or all three lights go up together.
Go for the exide maintenance free battery. it has a warranty of 5 years, costs a bit more but does its duty well. my oe battery went out at around 1.65 lac kilometers or so.
epicenter.rulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 16:42   #8
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 447
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ555 View Post
Thanx sam for your valuable advise, had the ph levels checked, report was "all cells are little weak" not sure what little means. but what makes me confused is not even once i had issue in starting etc,,, is it right choice to change battery now or should i wait?
If all cells are little week & has been confirmed by multiple vendors/ relaible vendor & you need to take a long road trip then I suggest you change it.

I mean this battery can work for some more time but if gives a problem even once & the whole idea of changing a battery without the glitch would be lost. So a month or two earlier but you will have the satisfaction & assurance that it would not die on you.
SamtheLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 16:59   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: goa
Posts: 1,066
Thanked: 52 Times
Default

Do you have any problems while starting, after the car is idle for around 2 days,or even overnight? If not do not there is not problem.
But be prepared to change in by end of this year, 3 -3.4 years is what a swift [specially EXIDE] batteries last.Form past experience with diesel cars and Exide batteries, also couple of friends with DDiS swifts.
While changing go for Bosch Battery, very good, and really maintenance free. will alst a bit longer than any EXIDE.
dinar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 17:36   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

@RJ555: You need NOT replace battery unless your battery is weak. Please take it to a bettery guy ask him for a load test and see for yourself.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 18:31   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,680
Thanked: 747 Times
Post Diagnosis

first check the voltage in idle (13.8-14.8V) and then put some load like blower, headlamps while the engine is revving at around 1500-2000 rpm as soon as you put load the voltage will decrease and then again catch up somewhere near the earlier mark,this shows your alternator is working fine, then check for specific gravity and voltage generated by each cell, this will give you a fair idea of what is wrong. If all these are fine do ask a competent electrician to verify if the battery is draining through a short or current leak somewhere along the circuit.

OT- What is the reserve capacity,cold cranking capacity,Power rating (Ah) preferred for Indian conditions specially for Swift.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th February 2010, 19:39   #12
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,478 Times
Default

How do you read individual cell voltage Spike? New age batteries are sealed/semi sealed in this aspect?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 15:52   #13
BHPian
 
RJ555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 95
Thanked: 11 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

going through all comments & out of some checks conducted by bat dealers i have made up to change the batteries. which brand to finalize... i have Bosch & Amaron in mind... preferably Bosch...any comments
RJ555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2010, 16:00   #14
gpa
Senior - BHPian
 
gpa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,772
Thanked: 273 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ555 View Post
going through all comments & out of some checks conducted by bat dealers i have made up to change the batteries. which brand to finalize... i have Bosch & Amaron in mind... preferably Bosch...any comments
My vote would go for Amaron!
gpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2010, 18:57   #15
BHPian
 
RJ555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 95
Thanked: 11 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

got my battery replaced... have installed amaron pro.
RJ555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery dealer installs 3-wheeler battery in my car!! Now what? Soumyajit9 Technical Stuff 29 19th December 2016 11:06
PICS: SF Sonic Battery Factory. Detailed report on the making of a Car Battery S2!!! Technical Stuff 29 16th April 2016 11:39
Replacing Existing Battery with a Cummins Shakti Truck Battery? condor Technical Stuff 12 25th November 2010 15:29
Battery question - Can I use Indica Spec Battery in Scorpio, or other such swaps? shekharlele Technical Stuff 18 7th September 2010 09:05
Using a battery tender to revive discharged battery xxaarraa Technical Stuff 2 14th May 2008 19:56


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:57.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks