Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 24th February 2010, 22:10   #16
BHPian

The turbo is going to be changed tomorrow.Do I also ask them to check the oil seals/gaskets?
mustang89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2010, 22:36   #17
BHPian

My swift has another issue. The engine struggles to rev beyond 3000 RPM from 3rd gear onwards and the engine rattling is high. 1st and 2nd gear I get a good response. Please help.

MODS: Please move the thread if it is irrelevant here.
VTEC_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 02:33   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang89 View Post
The turbo is going to be changed tomorrow.Do I also ask them to check the oil seals/gaskets?

What's the status i didn't see any updates on it today. Was the turbo changed?

Well i own a DDIS also and well from what i figured out the problem is with the turbo and the intercooler.Now does your cousin pull the car in 2nd and 3rd gear to a speed more than 60kmph ?Does he idel the car for a minute after starting and and before switching off? I personally think that the turbo needs to be taken off and serviced and the other thing which you can do is check the air cleaner element sometimes its a simple thing like that which does it.

Try changing the air cleaner element and service the turbo and tell me the response. I think giving it a little more try and time won't harm as such. In the long run it may save you a little bit of money.

All the best and keep us posted.

Last edited by IndrojitSircar : 26th February 2010 at 02:39.
IndrojitSircar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 14:13   #19
BHPian

Sorry guys for not updating yesterday.My cousin had an urgent meeting yesterday.So couldnt go to the MASS yesterday.Will be going in a day or two.Will keep the post updated.
@indrojit-what is air cleaner elemnt sir?is it separate from the air filter?

Thanks
Old 26th February 2010, 14:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@indrojit-what is air cleaner elemnt sir?is it separate from the air filter?

Thanks
It is the air cleaner only. The replaceable filter is also called the element.
Old 26th February 2010, 14:56   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post
My swift has another issue. The engine struggles to rev beyond 3000 RPM from 3rd gear onwards and the engine rattling is high. 1st and 2nd gear I get a good response. Please help.

Are you sure about the diesel quality? Have you checked the air filter, if its clogged?
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2010, 15:02   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post

Hi

Are you pulling the car in the first 3 gears above 60kmph?Its the turbo getting clogged in the initial stages and also maybe the air cleaner element as jaggu mentioned.
Old 26th February 2010, 15:22   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Does he idle the car for a minute after starting and and before switching off
A must thing to do for DDiS Owner. I am doing it since day 1. I have done 22K on Swift. Never faced any problem related to Turbo. Car pulls nicely in all gear.
nisarg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2010, 13:29   #24
BHPian

UPDATE:
My cousin went to MASS day before yesterday.Although he had his intercooler and hoses cleaned off,still last week he noticed the same power loss problem and white smoke.
So the guys at MASS changed the turbo in his car.The old turbo which they had taken out seemed fine with no blade damage.
But still the car's acceleration and behaviour remained the same i.e linear with no turbo kick.The MASS guys tried to take him for a ride by asking him to take a test drive in swift dezire vdi which had similar (no turbo spool problem) and they said "Sir,Aise Hi hoti hai"
But my cousin asked them to call in for a new swift vdi from the showroom to which they backed out.Then the guys checked the car's readings with another tool(similar to TECH2) and found that although the boost pressure was coming to be fine which is 170-180 around 3200 rpm but there were 2 readings,namely MCA(not sure) and injection pressure(my cousin is not sure if he recalls them rightly) which were slightly less than the stock readings.
It took almost a whole day at Rana,as they were trying to check the readings after the car's radiator starts but it didnt as the temp reached upto 94 degree but they say that diesel's radiators start at around 104 degree.
Now the MASS has escalated the problem and an engineer from MARUTI will be visiting my cousins home for the checkup.Lets see what the turnout is.
Thanks

Last edited by mustang89 : 7th March 2010 at 13:32.
Old 10th March 2010, 10:10   #25
BHPian

Hi mustang89, eagerly waiting for your feedback on the problem. I facing a similar problem (though there is no smoke, and power loss is only on the 5th gear, but not always), which I've posted on another thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post1774620 (New Swift Diesel engine problem)
PearlJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 10:30   #26
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Now the MASS has escalated the problem and an engineer from MARUTI will be visiting my cousins home for the checkup.Lets see what the turnout is.
Thanks
This is the best thing to do, if the MASS is not sure on whats wrong. Keep us posted. Hope they have double checked the oil level and air filter.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2010, 15:26   #27
BHPian

Its been time since I updated this thread.
The Engineer from Maruti checked my brother's car and he did something with EGR,he didnt get it opened,just with the Tech Tool and also with the MAF/MAP sensor ( my brother doesnt remember correctly which one).
The car as per I know is performing better than before,there is the turbo surge definitely there but not what a VDI kick is like.
End result-My brother is using the car as of now,but he will be soon changing car.Somehow he was not satisfied with the overall ownership experience coz the car is still not at its best.I guess somewhere the engine has been damaged itself.

Note:Mods please close the thread.
Old 5th June 2010, 15:29   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its been time since I updated this thread.
The Engineer from Maruti checked my brother's car and he did something with EGR,he didnt get it opened,just with the Tech Tool and also with the MAF/MAP sensor ( my brother doesnt remember correctly which one).
The car as per I know is performing better than before,there is the turbo surge definitely there but not what a VDI kick is like.
End result-My brother is using the car as of now,but he will be soon changing car.Somehow he was not satisfied with the overall ownership experience coz the car is still not at its best.I guess somewhere the engine has been damaged itself.

Note:Mods please close the thread.
Its sad to see that a company like maruti couldn't solve this problem.But on the other hand i would say get the car checked by another MASS and get an opinion on it. If you like i can suggest you the one to go to for this kind of a problem.
Old 5th June 2010, 15:50   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndrojitSircar View Post
Its sad to see that a company like maruti couldn't solve this problem.But on the other hand i would say get the car checked by another MASS and get an opinion on it. If you like i can suggest you the one to go to for this kind of a problem.
Ya please pm me the name of MASS you suggest.
Old 5th June 2010, 15:59   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ya please pm me the name of MASS you suggest.

PM has been Sent to you!