Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st July 2013, 16:06   #46
BHPian

Guy I have similar issues with my Grande Punto 90 HP. She has done slightly over 34k kmtts.two weeks back I noticed lot of black smoke when revved beyond 3000 rpm in 3rd gear. And the engine gives no response to accelerator in 4th or 5th gear. The problem grew further and now I feel power loss even in low gears. Sometimes it gets stuck while coming out of the parking ramp .
The car is at Fiat ASS at the moment and they are yet to diagnose the issue.
Any one has similar experience ???
nixie89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2013, 16:54   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixie89 View Post
Guy I have similar issues with my Grande Punto 90 HP
Any one has similar experience ???
It is due to faulty VGT in your case. My punto had a broken intercooler hose and I got it replaced immediately preventing any serious damage.
Arkesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2013, 07:50   #48
BHPian

Got the car delivered and it is back to its crowning glory. Timing belt had been replaced, complete clutch assembly has been replaced, EGR valve required cleaning and turbo is working fine. Seems the issue was with clutch plate which was burned out completely. I am surprised that it last only 34k kmtrs.
It took them almost a week to diagnose and repair but I am glad that the issue has been sorted out finally.
Old 27th July 2013, 20:02   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Smoke and Power Loss Problem with Swift Vdi

Quote:
Timing belt had been replaced, complete clutch assembly has been replaced, EGR valve required cleaning and turbo is working fine. Seems the issue was with clutch plate which was burned out completely. I am surprised that it last only 34k kmtrs.
34000 kms and the clutch burnt!

Man, you must look into your driving style (No offence). Do you have to travel at the bumper to bumper traffic?

Does car be driven only by you or the driver does?

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2013, 16:00   #50
BHPian

It's driven by me alone but yes in a bumper to bumper traffic everyday, at least for 30 mins, primarily on clutch.
Old 11th August 2013, 18:10   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It's driven by me alone but yes in a bumper to bumper traffic everyday, at least for 30 mins, primarily on clutch.
Is that you have to drive in the clutch continuously? Do you keep the clutch disengaged when the car is idle in tragic or you put the gear in neutral?

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2013, 15:28   #52
BHPian

My bad. The problem reoccurred and they have a complete diagnosis to realise there is compression loss from third and fourth cylinder. So it needs a complete overhaul and piston rings to be changed.good that I have extended warranty but it still going to take two more weeks to resolve
Old 1st September 2013, 16:33   #53
BHPian

Default Re: Smoke and Power Loss Problem with Swift Vdi

Compression loss at 30k clicks is not a good sign, especially for the Multijet, which is known to be quite a sturdy engine on its own right. This is the first time I am hearing compression problems in a modern CRDI engine.

I don't know why, but I suspect that the engine oil might be entering the cylinder during the power stroke. Excessive black smoke, sluggish power delivery all point towards engine oil burning. Improper power delivery may have made you excessively slip the clutch while driving, resulting in its premature failure. Ask the ASC to check the entire lubrication system thoroughly.
mohitk1993 is offline   Reply With Quote