Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th February 2010, 15:25   #16
BHPian

Okay. I got most of it. But, here's another thing bothering me. In the car aesthetics thread there was a debate going on between Car polish and Car wax. What's the difference between the two and what is advisable to be done? My car's paint has faded from the top regions that includes the roof, area just below the rear window and a little bit on the bonnet.

Can somebody list me the reasons why this fading could have happened because it's hard for me to spot other cars with the same problem as mine. This is what some people told me-
1. A car cover in bright sunlight can cause this.
2. I went to Bhopal for a couple of years so people say maybe harsh sunlight and hard water caused this.
Expert advice please.

I plan to get a repaint done soon but as of now how do I take care of it?

Should I first get it polished and then get it waxed?
abhipuru16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th February 2010, 23:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhipuru16 View Post
What is "NULON" treatment?

Plus, which engine oil to go for?

This saturday, I'll take the car to the service station and remain there all through it's servicing. Let's see how it turns out to be. Also, would they get annoyed by me staying there all through it? How to approach them?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Can anyone throw more light on Nulon Engine treatment.
Nulon is an oil like substance(comes in 350ml cans like Coke) which needs to be poured into the engine after oil has been replaced and engine has warmed up.It is claimed that this substance reduces friction by forming a film on the cylinders' walls

A 350 ml can costs Rs.450-475 but is definitely worth it;I have tried it out in both my cars and have enough experience to vouch for it.

If you're going to use Nulon, fill in 350-400 ml less engine oil while replacing;warm up engine and then shut off,add Nulon through the engine oil filler port and then drive for at least 20 minutes(for the oil and Nulon to become a homogenous mass) before shutting off again.

As with any non-recommended product there will be opinions for and against.Take your pick.

If you don't want to try Nulon,go for API SM 20W50 engine oil(Gulf and Veedol make this grade) OR go for the great Castrol Magnatec 15W40
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2010, 20:19   #18
BHPian

Default Surprise, surprise!!

Hey guys!
After a long, tiring day at the service center, I am here to give an update.
Okay, everything was smooth, the mechanics did not get annoyed and were very informative and didn't mind my company.
These are things I got done today.
1. Front struts and suspension overhaul
2. Radiator hose and elbow changed
3. Wheel balancing and alignment
4. Engine oil and filter changed
5. Air filter changed
6. Gear rod shaft changed
7. Clutch cable changed
8. Engine coolant changed
9. Brakes cleaning and checking
10. Pedal adjustments
12. Headlamp leveling and focusing
13. A.C. Belt changed (don't know if it's a fan cable or what but it was attached with the compressor) Any clues?
14. Timing belt was checked and reported to be fine
15 Interior vacuum cleaning as the seat covers are brand new
16. Internal wires checked and harnessed

So, the estimate given to me in the beginning was Rs.7300 and the amount at the end was Rs.7878.

The car is now silent over bumps and the engine is very much smoother. Plus, the clutch is nearly 90% smoother. The car is behaving just like new. I love it.

Tomorrow, I am planning to go and get the "A.C. direction control knob" (the knob which decided whether to direct air to front windows, legs, chest etc.) checked as it is just rotating but not functioning. Any clues?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Abhinav Sharma
Old 20th February 2010, 22:55   #19
BHPian

Hehe, nobody to check my update. Strange.
Old 20th February 2010, 23:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys!
Okay, everything was smooth, the mechanics did not get annoyed and were very informative and didn't mind my company.
Hello,
were the struts replaced or you had the old ones reinstalled after inspection ?
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 01:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. Radiator hose and elbow change
13. A.C. Belt changed (don't know if it's a fan cable or what but it was attached with the compressor) Any clues?

So, the estimate given to me in the beginning was Rs.7300 and the amount at the end was Rs.7878.

Abhinav Sharma
2. Did the rubber show signs of cracking or degrading?
8. Hope they flushed the radiator before refiling?
13. Fans would most likely be electric. The belt should be running the compressor.
14. Would still be better if you change it, because rubber degrades with time. But since your engine would most likely be a non-interface type, no damage would occur if it were to fail. But you just might get stranded somewhere.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 02:57   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys!
2. Radiator hose and elbow changed
3. Wheel balancing and alignment
4. Engine oil and filter changed
5. Air filter changed
6. Gear rod shaft changed
7. Clutch cable changed
9. Brakes cleaning and checking
10. Pedal adjustments
12. Headlamp leveling and focusing
15 Interior vacuum cleaning as the seat covers are brand new
16. Internal wires checked and harnessed

The car is now silent over bumps and the engine is very much smoother. Plus, the clutch is nearly 90% smoother. The car is behaving just like new. I love it.

Tomorrow, I am planning to go and get the "A.C. direction control knob" (the knob which decided whether to direct air to front windows, legs, chest etc.) checked as it is just rotating but not functioning. Any clues?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Abhinav Sharma
Good update. I have clocked 125000km on my Zen (2001) so far and I carried out most of these jobs @70000km. Also changed all 5 tyres back then. You are right; not only does the engine and transmission feel new, even the suspension & ride quality greatly improve.

Soon afterwards, I converted to LPG (so I've driven 50000km on gas); other than the loss of acceleration, I've not had any problems so far. Well, I had to replace the alternator & get the A/C serviced (80000km) - nothing to do with LPG!!

Did you also get the various pipes replaced - I've noticed they tend to crack due to heat and eventually loosen. What about engine flush? Silencer decarbonisation? Are those necessary?
Zen2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 12:58   #23
BHPian

Guys, right now I am at the service center getting the A.C. direction control knob checked. Will post an extensive update in the evening.
Old 21st February 2010, 13:01   #24
Senior - BHPian

man this thread will turn out to be a great info bank...i am hooked.

dont most manuals also have a list of parts to be changed. Ya but i am sure they would have missed stuff we will not and also there must be some unnecessary changes recommended
KSM-Vtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 15:37   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hello,
were the struts replaced or you had the old ones reinstalled after inspection ?
Nah! The struts were replaced with brand new. The ride quality and high speed handling has improved three-fold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
2. Did the rubber show signs of cracking or degrading? Yes, only the radiator hose and the A.C. compressor belt, others were OK.
8. Hope they flushed the radiator before refiling? Yes, they did.
13. Fans would most likely be electric. The belt should be running the compressor. I feel so too.
14. Would still be better if you change it, because rubber degrades with time. But since your engine would most likely be a non-interface type, no damage would occur if it were to fail. But you just might get stranded somewhere.
As far as I know, the symptoms of a wearing timing belt include a high pitch "CHUUUN" sound which subsequently diminishes. I hear a lot of Indicas with this problem. I have never ever experienced this. So,maybe some kilometers more and then I shall replace it. The service personnel say it looks as good as new. And, I don't even remember if my dad got it replaced sometime. Maybe he did when we were in Bhopal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen2001 View Post
Good update. I have clocked 125000km on my Zen (2001) so far and I carried out most of these jobs @70000km. Also changed all 5 tyres back then. You are right; not only does the engine and transmission feel new, even the suspension & ride quality greatly improve.

Soon afterwards, I converted to LPG (so I've driven 50000km on gas); other than the loss of acceleration, I've not had any problems so far. Well, I had to replace the alternator & get the A/C serviced (80000km) - nothing to do with LPG!!

Did you also get the various pipes replaced - I've noticed they tend to crack due to heat and eventually loosen. What about engine flush? Silencer decarbonisation? Are those necessary?
Radiator hose and A.C. fan belt was changed. Others were OK. Engine flushing was done in the last service. Silencer decarbonisation? No clue at all. maybe experts shall enlighten us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSM-Vtec View Post
man this thread will turn out to be a great info bank...i am hooked.

dont most manuals also have a list of parts to be changed. Ya but i am sure they would have missed stuff we will not and also there must be some unnecessary changes recommended
Thanks, I know we Team-BHPians always crave for perfection!

A.C. Direction Control Knob Update-
Well, they changed the wire that was connected to the knob but, the problem remained. As of now, he has adjusted it to throw air directly on my face. That was what I wanted so, maybe I shall live with it.

One more thing, the guy there said that in the next service you should look into two problems-
1. Front-axle play (How to detect it?)
2. Clutch overhaul. Although the clutch cable replacement softened the clutch a lot, he still recommends to do it.

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 21st February 2010 at 15:38.
Old 21st February 2010, 16:23   #26
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
IIRC it was BG. I'd stay way from that too. I doubt u'll find Nulon at a MASS anyway.
Both these products are not worth it. Don't bother using them. I've used both and it didn't have any advantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
More than anything you need to change the car itself. Just kidding, do check all timing belts, and electricals, in addition to what others have already pointed out.
Exactly what I wanted to say. But I'm not kidding. I am speaking from experience. Not worth keeping the car for so long. Resale values of the Zen are OK so it makes sense to sell.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 16:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

Can you post the cost of the struts and the radiator hoses.

thanks
Old 21st February 2010, 20:55   #28
BHPian

The struts were 1244 each while the radiator hose set me back by 100 rupees. Is it O.K.?
Old 21st February 2010, 20:58   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Both these products are not worth it. Don't bother using them. I've used both and it didn't have any advantages.

Exactly what I wanted to say. But I'm not kidding. I am speaking from experience. Not worth keeping the car for so long. Resale values of the Zen are OK so it makes sense to sell.
See, as of now, I have no plans of selling this car as we'd be buying a Fiesta 1.6S (hopefully) this summer (or sooner). We will be using th Zen for city drives then. Plus, my sister would start working by then (MBA Industry Integrated) so we need two cars. That settles the equation. The running wouldn't be much after this year. Plus, I would never sell a car until it completes 10 years of it's service (minimum). So, resale values don't bother me much. I shall never ever sell away my Zen, first car, first love you see.

Last edited by abhipuru16 : 21st February 2010 at 20:59.
Old 22nd February 2010, 10:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The struts were 1244 each while the radiator hose set me back by 100 rupees. Is it O.K.?
At 1244 i think you got them cheap (or i got them expensive).I had my 800's struts' changed for Rs 1950 a piece.The make was Gabriel.