Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st February 2010, 14:05   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Petra - OEM Battery Problem?

I am looking for urgent help, most likely with my car battery.

Background: My car has been sitting idle in the parking lot after we got back from a long trip (around 1200 km) at New Years. Since then the car was not used as I overly fell in love with my RX again (even for an extended highway run). In nutshell, the car was not cranked in more than 1.5 month. I tried starting it 2 days back and nothing happened.

Diagnosis: I suspected that the battery has discharged during this time. I got a mechanic from Exide dealer to get it out and get recharged. The battery is OEM Exide DIN 50 battery.

Result: Today the dealer told me that battery has conked off and I need to get a new battery for Rs.7500/-. I got back the battery from dealer to see if it is partially charged. It doesn't work.

Questions:
  1. My OEM battery has lasted more than 5 years now. But, it never gave any starting trouble. This is the only time it failed, since the car was not started in last 1.5 month. Till then it was perfect. Has the battery really gone caput or, is the dealer trying make money?
  2. If indeed the battery is goner, what are best possible alternatives? I gather from other threads that Amron is T-BHP favourite at the moment. Any suggestions?
  3. What should be the money to shell out? What to look for?
Keep your suggestions coming in. Thanks!
RX135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 14:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

A drained battery should work after a recharge at a local battery shop. Jump starting and having the car running for sometime should also recharge the battery.

Are the electrolyte levels OK - and no leaks etc ?

Last edited by sdp1975 : 21st February 2010 at 14:47.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 16:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

I too thought of jump starting, but decided instead to get the battery properly recharged.

In normal circumstances, I would have gone ahead straight for battery replacement. However, I am bit surprised that battery showed no signs of dying and now it's suddenly all gone. The dealer claims that 2 cells have gone weak and battery is not recharging properly.

What are tell-tale signs of a battery dying? I thought, it would exhibit a bit of starting trouble.

Last edited by RX135 : 21st February 2010 at 16:22.
Old 21st February 2010, 17:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

5 years & the battery lasted is something you should consider yourself lucky
BTW, Rs 7500 is for which car? Is it a small car or an SUV?
You may want to go through this thread in addition
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...tery-last.html

From my experience of WagonR & Amaron maintenance free - I bought it in 2007 Mar & till date runs no issues; I got it checked 2 weeks back & the dealer say its still good & requires no topup at present.

While I was away for about 3 months in 2007/08, I removed the battery from the car & placed it on a wooden stool. When I came back, just connected & turned on the ignition & voila it started just fine.

IMO, go for Amaron maintenance free (less maintenence) or Exide maintenance battery.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 18:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
What are tell-tale signs of a battery dying? I thought, it would exhibit a bit of starting trouble.
The usual sign is the cranking problem. But batteries are known to die without any prior signs. Best thing is to get it checked regularly.

I'm planning to buy a multimeter , cost around 200-250 on ebay.
sdp1975 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 19:52   #6
Senior - BHPian

Since the battery was 5 years old and was sitting discharged, its very likely that it has reached the end of its life. You did well by not trying to recharge it by jump starting and driving around... its not a good idea to do so.

Guess you should just replace it without hesitation.

Normally, you may have experienced starting problems... but since your car was just sitting idle for so long, its obvious that this never had the chance to become apparent.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 23:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for your replies, folks! So I should stop extracting any further juice from the battery and let it rest in peace.

Now moving on to the next questions:

Which one should I go for and at what price? There also seem to be range of warranties (X + Y months) available. I didn't get what that Y component is.

I checked out various threads and people here seem to be inclined towards Amaron and Tata Green than Exide. Actually, it's ironical to think of replacing Exide with something else. Especially since the Exide OEM battery lasted for 5 years without any trouble whatsoever. I would have otherwise blindly gone for another Exide. But, reliability seems to be an issue with Exide, so I can't expect repeat performance.

I checked 50 amp Amaron, Tata Green and Exide prices and they all range around 7400-7700.

@Raccoon, do you know any good battery dealer in Pune (off and around Karve road/Kothrud/Karvenagar)? There is an Amaron Pitstop quite near my house, should I look in there?

Lastly, do I just throw away old battery? How is it supposed to be disposed off?
Old 22nd February 2010, 00:05   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

@Raccoon, do you know any good battery dealer in Pune (off and around Karve road/Kothrud/Karvenagar)?
Have you tried Laxmi batteries on Paud Road, it's located next to TVS showroom or diagonally opposite to Planet Ford showroom.

Quote:
Lastly, do I just throw away old battery? How is it supposed to be disposed off?
Generally, dealers keep old batteries & hopefully would be taking care of environmentally safe disposal.
sukiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 00:15   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Have you tried Laxmi batteries on Paud Road, it's located next to TVS showroom or diagonally opposite to Planet Ford showroom.
Thanks! I'll check them out.
Old 22nd February 2010, 00:27   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for your replies, folks! So I should stop extracting any further juice from the battery and let it rest in peace.

Now moving on to the next questions:

Which one should I go for and at what price? There also seem to be range of warranties (X + Y months) available. I didn't get what that Y component is.

I checked out various threads and people here seem to be inclined towards Amaron and Tata Green than Exide. Actually, it's ironical to think of replacing Exide with something else. Especially since the Exide OEM battery lasted for 5 years without any trouble whatsoever. I would have otherwise blindly gone for another Exide. But, reliability seems to be an issue with Exide, so I can't expect repeat performance.

I checked 50 amp Amaron, Tata Green and Exide prices and they all range around 7400-7700.

@Raccoon, do you know any good battery dealer in Pune (off and around Karve road/Kothrud/Karvenagar)? There is an Amaron Pitstop quite near my house, should I look in there?

Sure, the Amaron shop opp. Police ground on FC road is a good place for Amaron. You can get it home delivered and fixed. Just give them a call. They have a branch in Kothrud, from where they will send someone. The pitstop you mentioned is probably that branch.

For Base Terminal/Panasonic, there is a Dealer in Nana Peth and one around Satara Road. I didn't really like the one in Nana Peth. Dunno about the other one. Best is to call the company sales person. They will home deliver.

Laxmi Batt on Paud road stocks only Exides. I would not touch them with a bargepole.

Tata Green is a new brand, and it seems very few people on tbhp have used it, so no reviews. Its upto you whether you want to risk putting your money on an unknown brand. I suggest you consider Amaron or BT/Panasonic.

The X component in the warranty would be free replacement guarantee. The Y component is pro-rata discount. It is mis-called "warranty". When I last looked, Amaron's pro-rata gaurantee did not look so good, as it reduces with time. BT/Panasonic scores on that front as they give 30% discount till the last day of the warranty.
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Generally, dealers keep old batteries & hopefully would be taking care of environmentally safe disposal.
Atleast, here in Chennai, the dealers give you a peanut amount for the old batteries they buy back from you. I remember getting around Rs 150 when I replaced mine.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Atleast, here in Chennai, the dealers give you a peanut amount for the old batteries they buy back from you. I remember getting around Rs 150 when I replaced mine.
Well! I didn't even know that you could get anything for a dead battery So I am good with that part.
  • Do you negotiate with battery dealers for price or, are they normally fixed prices?
  • What is appropriate price for 50 amp battery? Dealer quoted ~7500, while I read numbers ranging from 3000-5000 on T-BHP. Not sure if there is anything missing here.
@Raccoon, thanks a lot for detailed information!

Last edited by RX135 : 22nd February 2010 at 15:42.
Old 22nd February 2010, 15:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

^^^Even if you don't get a penny, don't just discard it. The lead inside has to be recycled... else you will be causing a major environmental hazard. Btw, different dealers do offer differential rates for old batteries. So check out few offers.
Raccoon is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Negotiation, not sure. Even if it works it would put to the same new battery price. Like someone can say the price of new battery Rs 7500 with Rs 200 as buy back for old one; someone else would sell new battery for Rs 7400 with Rs 100 as buy back for old battery. Hope you got the point. Recently when I changed my bike battery I was discounted Rs 50 for old one.
Old 22nd February 2010, 16:17   #15
Senior - BHPian

^^^Yes, that often happens, but still, you may end up paying more or less (overall) between different dealers. Also, buying directly from company may get you a better discount, esp. if you don't opt for home delivery.