Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 10th January 2016, 09:18   #151
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: How harmful is extra Engine Oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90Horses View Post
Hi Guys, I have found that the engine oil level in my Punto 90Hp MJD is above the mark. Can you tell me if there is something to bother about? Thanks, Sai
I'd suggest you drain off the excess oil using a syringe via the dipstick. IF that's not possible take it to a mechanic and have him drain the oil from the sump. He needs to be careful not to drain too much. Carry extra oil with you just in case you need to top up - but only to the max line please.

A few mm below the Max limit is better than a few mm above. DO NOT overfill fluids. Those Max and Min indicators are there for a reason. Please follow them.
R2D2 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 20:20   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I have found that the engine oil level in my Punto 90Hp MJD is above the mark. Can you tell me if there is something to bother about?

Thanks,
Sai
Please go through the thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...highway-4.html (Fiat Grande Punto - Diesel engine stalled on the highway)). There is also a 90PS punto. There is a severe damage by excessive engine oil. Read post No. 6 and 60.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 20:57   #153
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I'd suggest you drain off the excess oil using a syringe via the dipstick.
What kind of syringe that can be used in the dip-stick pipe ?
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2016, 21:24   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
What kind of syringe that can be used in the dip-stick pipe ?

See the syringe depicted in Chetan Rao's post. You'll need to fit a tube to it so it reaches down into the sump. The easiest way is to drain it from the sump after removing the sump nut.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 07:16   #155
Senior - BHPian

The problem is the service staff people attitude that if the correct amount is good, a little extra will be even better - like vitamins. Some cars are more sensitive than others, but not exceeding max on the dip stick is always sensible and best checked after every oil change because getting the surplus removed is a lot simpler there, via the drain plug.
Sawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 09:07   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
The problem is the service staff people attitude that if the correct amount is good, a little extra will be even better - like vitamins. Some cars are more sensitive than others, but not exceeding max on the dip stick is always sensible and best checked after every oil change because getting the surplus removed is a lot simpler there, via the drain plug.
Unfortunately my experience says these mechanics are either simply unaware of the potential damage extra engine oil can cause OR just don't care.

It's the owners responsibility to check before he/she takes delivery of the car from the service centre. Some A.S.Cs use automated nozzles calibrated to deliver the right volume of oil depending on the model. Have seen this in Toyota service bays.

My car uses 4.2 litres after an oil filter change, luckily the oil I use (Shell Helix Ultra synthetic) comes in 4 litre cans. I pour in the 200 ml once get the car back home. No question of overfilling. Ditto with the Fiat, it takes 3.8 litres, the Shell Helix HX7 can is 3.5 litres, leaving me the job of filling the 300 ml it takes for a full sump. At least this way I am sure there's no extra oil in the engine.

All that said, it's also important for the service tech to wait a few minutes for the oil to drain out fully, making sure the filler cap is always taken off. Otherwise you might inadvertently wind up with residual oil that increases the total volume of oil after they pour in the fresh stock. Best to check with the dipstick and then carefully pour in enough oil to make up for any deficit.
R2D2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 09:46   #157
Distinguished - BHPian

I will take a more liberal approach. If the oil level is a couple of mm higher, forget it. However, if it is a cm higher then you should drain out the excess. Depending on the ambient the oil level can change by quite a bit. As it gets warmer the oil level will go up.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 11:26   #158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by (Alok) View Post
Please go through the thread (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...highway-4.html (Fiat Grande Punto - Diesel engine stalled on the highway)). There is also a 90PS punto. There is a severe damage by excessive engine oil. Read post No. 6 and 60.
that was way too much, mine was < 1cm high than max level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I will take a more liberal approach. If the oil level is a couple of mm higher, forget it. However, if it is a cm higher then you should drain out the excess. Depending on the ambient the oil level can change by quite a bit. As it gets warmer the oil level will go up.
You are right sir, i think it should be fine if the oil level is < 1cm high than max level. I have shown my car in show room they did multiple checks and said it's all fine.
90Horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st January 2016, 12:08   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
I'd suggest you drain off the excess oil using a syringe via the dipstick. IF that's not possible take it to a mechanic and have him drain the oil from the sump. He needs to be careful not to drain too much. Carry extra oil with you just in case you need to top up - but only to the max line please.

A few mm below the Max limit is better than a few mm above. DO NOT overfill fluids. Those Max and Min indicators are there for a reason. Please follow them.

Quote:
You are right sir, i think it should be fine if the oil level is < 1cm high than max level. I have shown my car in show room they did multiple checks and said it's all fine.
I would like to second my opinion, no it's not okay to have engine oil more than the maximum limit.

My observation:

At the time of third service, my Punto MJD's engine oil was changed, from then I felt something unusual with the car's RPM gauge. On the cold start the RPM needle that previously used to settle at 800 RPM was behaving erratic. Please see the video.

I brought it to the notice of Aadya Fiat, they said, it's the same in all cars, I didn't get convinced. Second time when I visited service center, I complained about engine oil level, they said, it's fine! Again I wasn't convinced.

Last week I have been to Hyderabad & I had to park my car overnight on a street. When I did a cold start, rpm needle did not settle for 10 seconds. I thought there was a connection between the excessive engine oil & rpm needle jump. I have followed the instructions and got the Ryles Tube, removed 200 ml engine oil, at this point, the engine oil level was exactly there at the maximum mark of the dipstick.

I left it overnight & at the next cold start the RPM jump issue was gone! I don't know what could have happened to the car, if I did not correct this, but I am sure car did not like the excess engine oil & tried to tell me through rpm needle jump.

Hope it helps.

Sai
90Horses is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote