Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 3rd March 2010, 14:50   #16
Team-BHP Support

I am running on Scoche cables. Pretty decent, if you get a good set ( Heard you get fakes in 'em too)
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:07   #17
Team-BHP Support

Put a clean OE filter, remove the battery cable for 15 mts and reconnect it. Let the car idle for 10mts and then drive as you stole it. Use regular diesel from a reputed pump, my recommendation would be COCO IOC.

Report back how it feels.

Also, please drain away that Mobil 1, and use Mobil Delvac 1 or Delvac MX.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:14   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
complete the above and then visit Ashwarth for the Hyundai *** touch.
What kind of perverts do they have at your local Hyundai service centre?
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 09:56   #19
BHPian

Strange coincidences in the past 24hours.

I dropped by Lakshmi Hyundai in Banjara Hills post lunch yesterday and just requested Ashwarth Reddy ( Mobike008's recommendation) to do a quick diagnostic run through the issue.

All he did was start the car - analyse the sound - pop the bonnet open - twiggle twiggle wriggle wriggle all the pipings - reseal air filter housing . voila , the rumbling sound is gone! .

I was advised that i'll notice the difference immediately and everything should be normal . But i still found the turbo kicking in post 2100rpm so a scheduled service break has been fixed for the weekend.

Later in the evening , i end up getting a call from Hyundai Customer care about my previous scheduled service experience. This was done in a different service station and i did mention saying that the Air Filter hoses and Pipings were probably not fixed properly during the first filter change. Due to the faltering air flow , i think my turbo and ECU have also been affected.

This morning , call comes through from the service station stating that they have recieved my complaint and requested me for a visit.

I'm in a dilemma now! Do i go back to the first service station that has recieved my feedback form Hyundai Customer Care or stick to the recommended Ashwarth Reddy from another ??
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 11:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Arun, the most likely cause is that you did not idle the car at cold start and before shut down. this is a killer on turbos, and dont be surprised if you are looking at a turbo replacement soon. Since the Roadrunner is still under warranty, see if you can get teh turbo checked, and if needed replaced.
himanshugoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 11:14   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Arun, the most likely cause is that you did not idle the car at cold start and before shut down. this is a killer on turbos, and dont be surprised if you are looking at a turbo replacement soon. Since the Roadrunner is still under warranty, see if you can get teh turbo checked, and if needed replaced.
Sure thing boss, I'm gently working towards making sure they at-least remove the turbo and check for any play in the bearings instead of just trying to work around the issue via the ECU and Air Filter. Also wanna be present during the whole operation to see if effort was put in to identify turbo leaks at the very least.

Does a turbo malfunction like leaks show up on a Scantool ?
Old 5th March 2010, 11:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Sure thing boss, I'm gently working towards making sure they at-least remove the turbo and check for any play in the bearings instead of just trying to work around the issue via the ECU and Air Filter. Also wanna be present during the whole operation to see if effort was put in to identify turbo leaks at the very least.

Does a turbo malfunction like leaks show up on a Scantool ?
No, they wouldn't show up. You'd have to check it physically.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2010, 15:27   #23
Team-BHP Support

@ absynth: yes it has reading for boost pressure, and leaks can be detected looking at the reading and comparing with stock
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 00:28   #24
BHPian

Just got the Vehicle's 20k scheduled service done.

In addition, I got the complete air intake system cleaned including the tubing . The Turbo was checked for "noises" as the technician quoted and the reply was "there is no problem sir".

Took the vehicle for a short test drive and found a whale of a difference and hence refrained from asking them to open up the tubo and check for play.

All niggles ( apart from a few creaks) have been fixed and the roadrunner is back to making me feel good .

1. Not reverting to the Green Cotton until next service to notice the difference
2. Not replacing the Engine Oil to Synthetic as well.
3. With Ravveendra's help , also identified a COCO bunk in Hyderabad and shall try their fuel until next service due.
4. Also got the radiator coolant changed even though Service advisor said it was not required . Thought its best since 20k has been completed with some extreme driving conditions around AP .

PS : 2ltrs of coolant and the rest topped up with water - Is this practiced or should i go with 100% coolant ?
Old 11th March 2010, 00:36   #25
BHPian

ABG, Was the fuel filter changed during the service?

Quote:
PS : 2ltrs of coolant and the rest topped up with water - Is this practiced or should i go with 100% coolant ?
Purrfect. You need not worry.
live2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 00:40   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by live2drive View Post
ABG, Was the fuel filter changed during the service?

Purrfect. You need not worry.
Fuel filter, Air Filter and the AC filter was changed live2drive . Got the Ac filter changed as well cause of the heavy smoking i do whilst churning out long distances. Used to put the HVAC in recycle mode, but now I've decided to turn the AC off whilst the chimney is lit .
Old 11th March 2010, 00:47   #27
BHPian

Where is the AC filter located under the dash? I've been wanting to change it since long but my ASC think's it's too early for a replacement. How much does it cost and does the dashboard need to be removed for the installation?
Old 11th March 2010, 00:54   #28
BHPian

Just unclip the Glove box cover . Then you will notice 2 wires along with a running guide. Just release these wires form the clip . You'll also notice the stiff wire which is actually the ventilator cable to change the recycle mode .

Behind these two , you would have to push against a clip and take out the HVAC filter's cover. Then you slide out both the filters . you might have to push the cabling down to help the process.

A quick wash under water with de-greaser spray was what i did as a DIY bout 3-4 months back. Worked wonders.

Edit : No need to remove the dashboard and I'll get back on the costing part . Too lazy to get the bill from the car at this very hour, lol .

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 11th March 2010 at 00:56.
Old 11th March 2010, 00:57   #29
BHPian

Thanks for your inputs.
I shall try this over the weekend and update the result in my ownership thread.
Old 9th April 2010, 13:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Hey Arun just saw this thread. So how is the Road Runner doing now? Have you reverted back to Green Cotton Filteror still on the OEM.

Also could you please elucidate what all did they do to get the performance back to original apart from general service
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote