Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2010, 16:23   #31
BHPian
 
absynthguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 650
Thanked: 223 Times
Default

The problem is not sorted out yet Ani , the 20k service was all that was done .

To describe the problem in detail, here goes

During the tirupathi drive , my car reached 165kmph max . After paying attention to this issue whilst driving , i noticed that the turbo is kickin in later than normal . After returning from the trip , i found the green cotton to be completely ( and i mean completely) blocked . not even a drop of water could pass through when kept under the tap .

I changed to OEM filter and gave the car in for service . Now obviously i noticed a huge difference in the "smoothness" after this was complete. BUT , the turbo spooling and "kicking" is still at around 2200 rpm.

My assessment is that since i did the complete Tirupathi drive with a blocked air filter , the ECU in that period has readjusted its characteristics. As everyone on this thread have pointed out , the ecu does remap itself to a certain degree. Post the service , i have also started to feel a "double blip" in the power surge . One at 1800 and another at 2200 . This i suppose is to do with the excess airflow( or correct ) that is present now but the ECU had learnt to adjust itself to the blocked airflow.

A plain unplug of the ECU and spirited drive within town has not worked because i have not been able to do it for long durations. So i cannot get the ECU to learn again until my next long drive. Lets hope this solves the double blip and also lower the turbo spooling back to 1800.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2010, 17:54   #32
Senior - BHPian
 
MileCruncher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,992
Thanked: 356 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post

During the tirupathi drive , my car reached 165kmph max . After paying attention to this issue whilst driving , i noticed that the turbo is kickin in later than normal . After returning from the trip , i found the green cotton to be completely ( and i mean completely) blocked . not even a drop of water could pass through when kept under the tap .

I changed to OEM filter and gave the car in for service . Now obviously i noticed a huge difference in the "smoothness" after this was complete. BUT , the turbo spooling and "kicking" is still at around 2200 rpm.

My assessment is that since i did the complete Tirupathi drive with a blocked air filter , the ECU in that period has readjusted its characteristics. As everyone on this thread have pointed out , the ecu does remap itself to a certain degree. Post the service , i have also started to feel a "double blip" in the power surge . One at 1800 and another at 2200 . This i suppose is to do with the excess airflow( or correct ) that is present now but the ECU had learnt to adjust itself to the blocked airflow.

A plain unplug of the ECU and spirited drive within town has not worked because i have not been able to do it for long durations. So i cannot get the ECU to learn again until my next long drive. Lets hope this solves the double blip and also lower the turbo spooling back to 1800.
All CRDI engines have a Air Flow Mass Sensor which detects the incoming air pressure and based on it set the injection pressure of Diesel. In Bosch units, the ECU for the system is calibrated upto about 4000MSL beyond which the ECU extrapolates.

Now as you say that the no water was going thru the Green Cotton Filter, the ECU would have set up the timing at the reduced pressure. But at those conditions you will have black smoke for unburnt diesel and your mileage & power will also be reduced.

As much as my knowledge goes, you just need to reset the ECU with the help of a scanner and you should be ok.

Btw does the Getz have an intercooler?
MileCruncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 11:39   #33
BHPian
 
absynthguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 650
Thanked: 223 Times
Default

Slight update on the Roadrunner....

Post the scheduled 20k service, many are aware that I've not been stationed in Hyderabad.Since then, I havent been able to enjoy the Getzy nor actually see if the problem gets sorted out via the ECU reprogramming itself. Whilst I've been away, the family has taken the car on a few long trips and i thought this would help in settling the issue.

1st stint : Hyd to Chennai was done by my Sis and she's quite a spirited driver. Knowing her style, I'd say she would have up-shift only above 2700-3000rpm.

2nd stint : Chennai - B'lore - Hyd was done by Dad and he's a sedate kinda driver with up-shifts hovering around the 2000-2200 mark.

My Sis's reply when i asked if she noticed what rpm the turbo kicked in : Eh ? This is the first time i was driving your car and to top it all, i was having a blast enjoying it ... what are you on about ?

Didn't care about asking dad cause I knew he up-shifts just when the turbo is about to kick in and hence wouldn't have noticed the double blip.

All in all , 4000kms completed before i returned to Hyd and had a go myself. To my utter surprise, the turbo blip and double surge between 1800 and 2200 has become more prominent!.There is a vast drop in the turbo kick at 1800-1900( which last for 1/2 sec minimum) before the needle hits 2200rpm and then the car kicks off again. The stock filter has been on all this while. There is definitely a problem with the Turbo and it needs to be changed IMO. Ive taken the opinion of a few non Hyundai mechanics in Hyd and they are of the same thought as well.

The questions i have are as follows :

1 : The vehicle was bought at Kusalava Hyundai , Vijaywada and this dealer is not present in Hyd. I've been told that the local Hyundai dealers wouldn't entertain a warranty claim if i go to them since I didnt buy the car there. Is this true ?

2: The next 25k service is due . Do i get the service completed and then stake claim on checking the turbo or should i include this in the service schedule itself ?

3: I'll need the help of any reliable contact person ( senior management ) in any of the Hyundai A.S.S's in hyderabad so that there is no denying or alteration on the facts that the turbo is leaking/kaput within the warranty period.

4: It would really help to know who the technical head of Hyundai Service is for Hyderabad or South India and then get a check done by the person to ascertain that its a mechanical failure and not a blip in the ECU mapping. I say this because , when the previous service was done, resetting of the ECU was done by Hyundai A.S.S and the problem still persists.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 14:30   #34
Senior - BHPian
 
ph03n!x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Madras
Posts: 1,705
Thanked: 118 Times
Default

If it is a warranty replacement, Hyundai pays the dealer for all the expenses they incur that is not payable by you - so need not worry if they will do it or not. The question is - should they? I mean, are they competent people? You may want to check among your circle to see which Hyundai A.S.S is better, and see if they known someone in the service center.

The double-turbo-kick problem definitely seems to be a puzzler. And better have it taken care of along with the service itself.

@MileCruncher - yes, it has an intercooler.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 20:33   #35
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 359
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: The Pocket Rocket needs attention - GETZ Crdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Just unclip the Glove box cover . Then you will notice 2 wires along with a running guide. Just release these wires form the clip . You'll also notice the stiff wire which is actually the ventilator cable to change the recycle mode .

Behind these two , you would have to push against a clip and take out the HVAC filter's cover. Then you slide out both the filters . you might have to push the cabling down to help the process.

A quick wash under water with de-greaser spray was what i did as a DIY bout 3-4 months back. Worked wonders.

Edit : No need to remove the dashboard and I'll get back on the costing part . Too lazy to get the bill from the car at this very hour, lol .
Hi @absynthguzzler, I have Getz 1.3 petrol, and I want to clean the air filter. Saw your post, but could you please elaborate further how to unclip the glove box cover

And @live2drive, saw your post too, if you have done this, can you add any other details for doing this.

thanks in advance and sorry for OT!
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2011, 22:11   #36
BHPian
 
absynthguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 650
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: The Pocket Rocket needs attention - GETZ Crdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Hi @absynthguzzler, I have Getz 1.3 petrol, and I want to clean the air filter. Saw your post, but could you please elaborate further how to unclip the glove box cover

And @live2drive, saw your post too, if you have done this, can you add any other details for doing this.

thanks in advance and sorry for OT!
  • Btw, it isn't the engine air filter, instead the AC filter that is accessed via Glove box.Hope that's what your looking for.
  • Just un-clip the glove box by flipping the side restraints. They are made of rubber and get undone easily. Whilst undoing it, make sure your holding the glove box in the half way position to reduce the strain on the clips falling from the stoppers.
  • Once undone, locate the vertical cover behind the ventilator cable.
  • Loosen the ventilator cable by undoing it from the channel and then slide out the cover, filters subsequently.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 5th February 2011 at 22:18.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2011, 11:13   #37
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 359
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: The Pocket Rocket needs attention - GETZ Crdi

Thank you @absynthguzzler, it is the the AC filter that I am looking for. I briefly checked the glove box of my Getz Prime, it is still a bit confusing to me. The glove box seems to be attached to hinges using small screws (by hinges I mean the one around which the glove box rotates to come down when I open it). Anyway I will take a closer look again later today.
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 13:16   #38
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 359
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: The Pocket Rocket needs attention - GETZ Crdi

I removed the glove box cover and this is what I see when I removed a vertical cover behind the two wires as per the instruction.

The Pocket Rocket needs attention  - GETZ Crdi-accabinfilter.jpg

I was expecting a filter right there, but there is some open area where I see some small leaves. The filter (if it is the one) appears slanted, and is not removable just by pulling out. Is this the right place where the filter is, and do you think one filter is missing? Please let me know, as you can guess I am not good at doing these things

thanks!
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 14:00   #39
BHPian
 
absynthguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 650
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: The Pocket Rocket needs attention - GETZ Crdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
I removed the glove box cover and this is what I see when I removed a vertical cover behind the two wires as per the instruction.

Attachment 500948

I was expecting a filter right there, but there is some open area where I see some small leaves. The filter (if it is the one) appears slanted, and is not removable just by pulling out. Is this the right place where the filter is, and do you think one filter is missing? Please let me know, as you can guess I am not good at doing these things

thanks!
. Your filter is indeed missing from its spot. Do you have the plastic piece that covers that gap at least or is that missing as well ?

The filter is not the slanted piece from what i can gather. Because its actually made up of 2 separate frames that sit on top of one-another. I dont have my car to take a pic and post it for you, sorry.

Looks like a DIY has been done before on this vehicle, i cant imagine a service center loosing the filters AND also the cover! tut tut.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2011, 16:05   #40
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 359
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: The Pocket Rocket needs attention - GETZ Crdi

@absynthguzzler, I am equally surprised, as this is the first time I am trying a DIY for the AC filter and I did not even know how to open the glove box cover until I got the information in this thread. Since I am the first owner, no question of a previous owner doing that. The vertical cover that covered this area was there, but no other plastic pieces.

I strongly feel this has been done by someone at the service center, though there is no way I will be able to prove it. Now I believe they are capable of this, because the same Hyundai service center where I got a door dent repair done recently, they had wrongly connected some wires and my autocop was working incorrectly, which they fixed after I brought it to their notice. I am thinking of changing to a better service center now.

Attached is another picture showing the empty area with leaves.
The Pocket Rocket needs attention  - GETZ Crdi-accabinfilter_leaves.jpg

Last edited by mohan41 : 13th February 2011 at 16:20. Reason: spelling mistakes
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 12:56   #41
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: haridwar
Posts: 588
Thanked: 448 Times
Default Re: The Pocket Rocket needs attention - GETZ Crdi

Your turbo issue seems to be about VGT mechanism. It may be as simple as a worn or torn vaccum hose that operates the vgt valve located on the turbo case.
Or may be the vgt valve is stuck in its fully open position due to some reason.
As vgt valve operates between 1900rpm to opening fully at 2200rpm.
I guess I have a pic of turbo on a verna motor,will post it.
dustom_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 13:11   #42
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default Re: The Pocket Rocket needs attention - GETZ Crdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
@absynthguzzler, I am equally surprised, as this is the first time I am trying a DIY for the AC filter and I did not even know how to open the glove box cover until I got the information in this thread. Since I am the first owner, no question of a previous owner doing that. The vertical cover that covered this area was there, but no other plastic pieces.

I strongly feel this has been done by someone at the service center, though there is no way I will be able to prove it. Now I believe they are capable of this, because the same Hyundai service center where I got a door dent repair done recently, they had wrongly connected some wires and my autocop was working incorrectly, which they fixed after I brought it to their notice. I am thinking of changing to a better service center now.

Attached is another picture showing the empty area with leaves.
Attachment 501042

While using the AC there must be a lot of air noise (due to leakage) around the glove box area.
Didn't you notice that ?
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 13:24   #43
BHPian
 
absynthguzzler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 650
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: The Pocket Rocket needs attention - GETZ Crdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
While using the AC there must be a lot of air noise (due to leakage) around the glove box area.
Didn't you notice that ?
He wouldnt have Kp, coz he's got the cover with him. Although ... what should have been noticed is the blower is more effective than other cars (due to lack of filter). Maybe that "amazing cooling" sensation didn't put doubts on whether the AC filter is missing. One glaring signal would have been the aromas that were coming through the vents along with the odd broken leaves.

btw, KP, where did you get hold of the Monroe's ? I'm in dire need of a complete F+R set. Hyd stores dont stock(or even heard of Monroe, lol ). The place you bought them from is denying he sold any Monroes over the phone as well for obvious reasons .

Quote:
Your turbo issue seems to be about VGT mechanism. It may be as simple as a worn or torn vaccum hose that operates the vgt valve located on the turbo case.Or may be the vgt valve is stuck in its fully open position due to some reason.As vgt valve operates between 1900rpm to opening fully at 2200rpm.I guess I have a pic of turbo on a verna motor,will post it.
Cheers Dustom, shall have a peek and feel on the hoses when i get the chance.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 14th February 2011 at 13:28.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2011, 16:06   #44
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: haridwar
Posts: 588
Thanked: 448 Times
Default Re: The Pocket Rocket needs attention - GETZ Crdi

You can check if vgt valve is operating or not.
When the vehicle is cold,try to get your fingers to touch the turbo unit,guess you can locate that.
You will feel a small cylinder in between the compressor and exaust side of the turbo.
A small rod like link about 3 inch in length connects the vgt vaccum valve to turbo housing .
Check if you can move this rod up and down.
If you can move it manually, ask some one to rev the motor past 2500 rpm several times. You should be able to feel if there is any movement in this link.
Another thing I would suggest to check is the intercooler pipe and exaust pipe for heavy dents.
Intercooler pipe starting from turbo outlet comes underneath the engine oil pan and then rises into the intercooler.
It is made of aluminium and easily dented in getz,i have managed to compleately destroy it twice on bad roads.
If the intercooler or the exaust pipe is heavily dented,reduced cross section will have similar effect as in your case .
Ps: Do not put your hand in engine compartment while engine is running!
Specially if you are not aware of various moving and hot parts.
There are no open moving parts near turbo in getz,and turbo will not get hot enough for first 5 mins from a cold start.
dustom_99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2011, 16:46   #45
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 359
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: The Pocket Rocket needs attention - GETZ Crdi

Hi @absynthguzzler, I am planning to purchase cabin air filter and install it myself. I believe I need to know the air flow direction, or is it usually marked on the filter? Since there are no filters inside, I am not sure about the orientation of the filter (direction of air flow). It will also help me if you can tell me whether the slanted part (show in the picture in my last post) is also present in your car and is slanted - I am afraid that part could have got slanted due to whatever the service guys did and if I just put the filter inside, there will still be a gap between that piece and filters. If that requires repair, I will go to a mechanic but not to the A.S.S center.

thanks!
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nissan Juke - My pocket rocket! mathranik Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 50 31st January 2013 14:23
My Pocket Rocket sam_786 Modifications & Accessories 21 29th September 2010 21:22
Pocket Bikes and Pocket Bike racing Edmund Motorbikes 28 13th December 2008 17:25


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:00.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks