Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st March 2010, 22:39   #1
BHPian

Default The Pocket Rocket needs attention - GETZ Crdi

1 ) The turbo is kicking in well after 1800rpm .
2 ) I have not been able to cross 165kmph

w.r.t the turbo kicking in , I've been whining about it to my friends for quite a while now purely by driving the car every day and had two opinions passed on

1.Its definitely kicking in after 2100rpm and doesn't feel like its spooling as normal.
2.My turbo has just become very linear in its power delivery and thats why im not feeling the punch . This point coming from a Verna owner sort of holds weight , but its still not good reasoning the delayed response from the turbo.

w.r.t to the top speed , I've just done a drive from Hyderabad - Thirupathi via the Hyd- Kurnool stretch and couldn't push the car beyond 165kmph ! .... i felt the engine was feeling moody to push up from 150kmph onwards. I did experience the same on a well known stretch where i clipped a Verna to 185kmph but havent managed it on my getzy at that very location.

The only mods done till now are a Green Cotton Filter ( OEM replacement) and Mobil1 synthetic oil . Ive clocked 6000kms post these changes and surely the filter has to be cleaned, but is that reason enough for the delayed turbo spooling and kicking in ?

I've also been a culprit at times towards not waiting for the turbo to cool down after long stretches and i end up turning the ignition off immediately during the first few months of owning the car . Could this be a reason for the turbo loosing its punch?

The only positive I've experienced after deciding that this car needs urgent attention is i drove back from Tirupathi sedately without crossing 110 and managed 490km for half tank! . For everything else to sound rosy .. i need T-bhp's help .

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 1st March 2010 at 22:52.
absynthguzzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 22:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

I suspect either a clogged air filter or bad fuel. Do you have excessive smoke coming out?

Also, one thing i've noticed in my i20CRDi is that, if i drive sedately for quite some time, the turbo kick becomes linear, and once i drive agressively for a while, it kicks in violently! I've discussed with many other owners, and everyone had a similar experience. I guess the getz should show the same behaviour then!
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 22:59   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayD View Post
I suspect either a clogged air filter or bad fuel. Do you have excessive smoke coming out?

Also, one thing i've noticed in my i20CRDi is that, if i drive sedately for quite some time, the turbo kick becomes linear, and once i drive agressively for a while, it kicks in violently! I've discussed with many other owners, and everyone had a similar experience. I guess the getz should show the same behaviour then!
Air filter shall be cleaned tomorrow once i able to get hold one of the cleaning kits .

In regards to the fuel , I'll have to enquire around because I've only filled in 1 bunk all the time and its always had good feedback but I've personally not run a check myself . How do i go about doing the check?

I should try changing my driving style and see if its affects the turbo aspect . I never thought that a mechanical part would alter its response time with changing driving pattern.

So can i rule out a worn out turbo as a cause ?

Edit :I have never experienced heavy smoking no matter how i drive

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 1st March 2010 at 23:00.
Old 1st March 2010, 23:00   #4
Team-BHP Support

im sure it the air filter. clean the filter and the problem should be solved. your air filter is probably pretty clogged.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2010, 23:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

AG
Get the fuel filter checked and also try to get fuel from a different pump.

Check the engine bay for rats

Last edited by kpzen : 2nd March 2010 at 23:41.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 00:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Try a Shell refill (normal Diesel) in addition to all suggested by fellow BHPians
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 06:54   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
Air filter shall be cleaned tomorrow once i able to get hold one of the cleaning kits .
Sorry for being off-topic, but please do let me know where to buy this kit from in hyd. I am also in the look out to get this and clean my greencotton filter. Thank you.
drvhplyevraftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 09:25   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
im sure it the air filter. clean the filter and the problem should be solved. your air filter is probably pretty clogged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
AG
Get the fuel filter checked and also try to get fuel from a different pump.

Check the engine bay for rats
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Try a Shell refill (normal Diesel) in addition to all suggested by fellow BHPians

Thanks for the replies . specially from the rocket owners . I've pulled out the Green Cotton and replaced it with the OEM filter , lo and behold there's a new problem that has popped up.There's a strange burbling noise on idling and revving too in the engine bay. We thought it was the air filter not fixed properly but that didn't help sort it out. This morning , I've removed the battery terminals to reset the ECU and see if that helps the cause . Lets hope so .

The Green Cotton was quite badly clogged with muck and I'm aghast at how i delayed the cleaning . Hyundai chose to have the 3rd service interval to 10k kms (no 15k service , only 20k). This is probabaly one of the reasons i neglected checking the filter myself purely waiting for the next session . My mistake.

w.r.t fuel , I'll have to wait till ive run a wee bit more to empty the tank till quarter , maybe even get it cleaned and then fill up at another bunk ( Shell is a good idea) and see if i notice any difference.

Oh and one more thing ..... the air filter change to OEM certainly hasn't changed the turbo spooling mood . Its still kicking in well after 2000-2100rpm . I'm just hoping its not a worn out turbo .

Quote:
Originally Posted by drvhplyevraftr View Post
Sorry for being off-topic, but please do let me know where to buy this kit from in hyd. I am also in the look out to get this and clean my greencotton filter. Thank you.
You can try Racing Heights just off Minister Road for the cleaning kit . If your unaware of the location ....... Google their name
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:30   #9
Team-BHP Support

since you found the filter was clogged i think itll all be fine after you put it back in instead of the oem filter.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:39   #10
Senior - BHPian

Try it without a filter for a few kms on an empty stretch. Should tell you if the filter is the culprit or not.
pranavt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:39   #11
BHPian

Still got the strange rumbling sound from the engine bay after resetting the ECU . Feels like the car is idling at higher revs and the rev needle shows around 800rpm. Will have to take the car for a spin post work and see if it corrects itself once warmed up.

Quote:
Try it without a filter for a few kms on an empty stretch. Should tell you if the filter is the culprit or not.
Now why didnt i think of this , lol . Thanks. :-)

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 3rd March 2010 at 11:40.
Old 3rd March 2010, 11:52   #12
Team-BHP Support

Arun, so this problem continues to haunt you?

Some points :-
1. After a certain period of time, i too noticed that top speed comes down. Not sure if its due to engine wearing out or due to pete's box. I did 185kmph top on my viva and now i struggle to go past 170kmph. PB could be the culprit

2. With regards to turbo not kicking in time, could be because you never wait before you let the turbo die down before you switch the engine. Trust me, do follow this routine always

3. There could be several other reasons as already outlined. Try cleaning the filter, drive without a filter/box and see if there is any change to turbo behaviour. If its still the same, its time to pay a visit to Ashwardha Reddy
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:00   #13
BHPian

Quote:
1. After a certain period of time, i too noticed that top speed comes down. Not sure if its due to engine wearing out or due to pete's box. I did 185kmph top on my viva and now i struggle to go past 170kmph. PB could be the culprit
Dont have PB dude , so thats outta question. Also top speed is purely a parts and maintenance issue , so lets hope i find the culprit soon . This most probably was the clogged filter and nothing else . The turbo kicking in late is just another aspect of my troubles.

Quote:
2. With regards to turbo not kicking in time, could be because you never wait before you let the turbo die down before you switch the engine. Trust me, do follow this routine always
This is very much a possibility and concern as i hardly had the habit of waiting during the first 1-2 months. I've started following this from the last time you adivsed :-) .

Quote:
3. There could be several other reasons as already outlined. Try cleaning the filter, drive without a filter/box and see if there is any change to turbo behaviour. If its still the same, its time to pay a visit to Ashwardha Reddy
He's on speed dial as soon as i get some time off work and can manage to have no transport for a few days . :-) . The amount of times I've thought of calling him , I'm sure he's had sleepless nights haunted by my ghost, lol.

Edit :
Just had another doubt
Could the ICE be playing foul with the car's ECU cause of draining the life out of the battery?

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 3rd March 2010 at 12:17.
Old 3rd March 2010, 12:41   #14
Team-BHP Support

Never seen the ICE in your Getz. Is it some heavy duty stuff that can drain you battery? If yes, there could have been some mix-up with your ECU since i assume you did it DIY. No harm in checking it out !

Btw, if you recall my viva had that "hang" problem and AR just deleted the ECU program or reset and touch wood, last 7K+ kms that problem hasnt re-occured.

I like that fella, he is honest and knows his stuff.
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd March 2010, 13:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Never seen the ICE in your Getz. Is it some heavy duty stuff that can drain you battery? If yes, there could have been some mix-up with your ECU since i assume you did it DIY. No harm in checking it out !
Yes its DIY . Its 2 amps totalling 500w rms and yes the wiring is bit of a "jugaad" right now , lol . Guess I'll have to do a bottom's up approach and sort the road runner out .

Agenda is

1. Remove air filter and complete a run.
2. Check fuel filter (7k is completed since change but still 3k more to next service interval)
3. Remove ICE wiring - Good chance to change the complete wiring to Finolex instead of Sansui cables
4. Refill tank when empty at Shell before doing the above.

complete the above and then visit Ashwarth for the Hyundai *** touch.