Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 17th March 2010, 10:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulhas.ahirrao View Post
Thanks ricky,

Actually the showroom guys only have fitted the accessory.

In which case you are 100% safe about any issues of warranty etc etc.

Hope it has gotten sorted out by now !

Cheers
Ricky_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 21:03   #32
BHPian

Default Re: Problem Battery or Car? Confused

Had a scare last morning, tried starting my i10 kappa-2 sportz after 7-8 days of inactivity and it won't crank-up. Just a clicking noise from underneath the chassis everytime i tried cranking the car and the usual sequence i.e., HU switches off and then comes back on, door lock opens and locks (or was it the other way, not sure). I suspected it to be battery issue, but after i gave it 4-5 tries finally it started fine. Phew Drove it for half a km and it drove fine (no stalling or anything). Parked again and tried after an hour and it started fine, but with some hesitation (not sure how to put this, the Krrrrrrr...and then the engine starts).

Called Exide's batmobile and they had a look at the battery (Amaron) and said battery's fine (gravity, voltage reading, no leaks etc.,). I drove the car again today (after 1 day's inactivity) and it drove fine.

I am confused as to what it could be and i am worried if it would get me stranded , particularly with a drive to mysore planned with family for the weekend.

Any pointers please.

Last edited by Steve_Austin : 7th April 2011 at 21:04. Reason: typo corrected
Steve_Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2011, 21:35   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Austin View Post
I am confused as to what it could be and i am worried if it would get me stranded...
Loose connection at battery/starter motor terminal, or some electrical device draining the battery when the car is not used for an extended period of time.

Tighten all battery-to-car connections, and check for battery drain when everything is switched off (How to Find a Parasitic Battery Drain - wikiHow). Even with remote central locking activated, the drain should be no more than 100-150mA.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2011, 19:17   #34
BHPian

How to check if the battery is getting discharged even though there is no visible load on it?
pratikraveesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 19:19   #35
BHPian

Okay here i am back from the mysore trip and as luck would have it, the car did refuse to start at times during the trip.

We stopped for breakfast near channapatna and after breakfast my wife cranks it and no response. Waited for 5-6 seconds and re-tried, status quo..again 5-6 secs later and it starts like a dream. This was alright since it was from the parking lot. The scary thing was when it refused to start after stopping at a traffic light. The lorry guy was right behind us and by the time the car started (10-12 seconds) we had caused a considerable pile-up on mysore road.

Now once thing's predictable, it would start in 2-3 attempts (within 15-20 seconds). But that's attrocious. I had the Advaith Hyundai guys in mysore look at it and they were clueless. They say everything's good, battery, starter motor, fuse etc.,

I am beginning to wonder if it's the immobilizer in action. Could it be ?

Could it be something else as well ? What do you guys think ?
Old 11th April 2011, 19:54   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratikraveesh View Post
How to check if the battery is getting discharged even though there is no visible load on it?
You could check the voltage across the terminals.

Quote:
Okay here i am back from the mysore trip and as luck would have it, the car did refuse to start at times during the trip.

We stopped for breakfast near channapatna and after breakfast my wife cranks it and no response. Waited for 5-6 seconds and re-tried, status quo..again 5-6 secs later and it starts like a dream. This was alright since it was from the parking lot. The scary thing was when it refused to start after stopping at a traffic light. The lorry guy was right behind us and by the time the car started (10-12 seconds) we had caused a considerable pile-up on mysore road.

Now once thing's predictable, it would start in 2-3 attempts (within 15-20 seconds). But that's attrocious. I had the Advaith Hyundai guys in mysore look at it and they were clueless. They say everything's good, battery, starter motor, fuse etc.,

I am beginning to wonder if it's the immobilizer in action. Could it be ?

I doubt this is the Immobilizer since at least the engine is responding.

Have the battery terminals checked for loose connections. And the voltage across the terminals. If it a normal battery, have it charged overnight and check if the problem persists.

How old is it?
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2011, 20:15   #37
BHPian

Thanks Libran, Like i mentioned in my earlier post, had the battery checked for voltage and loose connections, nada.

And not too old, the car's a Feb 2011 buy and has run about 2000kms.

Last edited by Steve_Austin : 11th April 2011 at 20:16.
Old 11th April 2011, 20:32   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

That's it?!

Since the battery is under warranty, have it checked by the manufacturer.

Are there any after-market installations which are drawing a lot of power from the battery?
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2011, 13:17   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, I had the exact similar experience some weeks before. The car would just refuse to start, nothing else.

Voltage across terminals was fine, alternator was fine, everything was fine. Just that the battery wasn't able to crank up the engine.

Also, my battery would drain out in about one-two days of inactivity, with NO leaks.

Changed the battery and everything now runs like a dream!.

If nothing else is wrong with your ride, then its time to change your batteries mate!.
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2011, 17:05   #40
BHPian

Took the car from Trident Hyundai back, they say they've checked everything about the ignition unit i.e., battery, wiring, starter motor, fuse , solenoid switch blah-blah and everything's ok and they can't attribute any reason to the starting problem.

They've just "re-fitted" the solenoid switch and so far so good and it's been starting fine.

While i was thinking it's a wait and watch game and driving the car back, i see a strange thing on the console, the door ajar lamp flickers whenever i go through rough roads or a hump. I am guessing it's got something to do with the recent service :( What do you guys think ? How bad is it ? I mean it's a false one for sure, i checked all doors and boot and closed them again and drove and again the same thing on undulations.

After parking at my place, i notice 2 scratches on the rear spoiler (on the roof). This pi$$ed me off further and i called the SA and gave him a piece of my mind.

Also, they didn't charge me anything this "starting problem check" as well.
They are going to have the car picked-up tomorrow and have these 2 things rectified and returned by evening and i am NOT paying a single penny.

Last edited by Steve_Austin : 14th April 2011 at 17:06.
Old 19th April 2011, 16:42   #41
BHPian

Have the car with Trident Hyundai diagnosing it for over 2 days now. Since it's an intermittant problem they aren't able to conclude what's the issue/fix.

They're replacing the solenoid switch and also the starter motor if found faulty/misbehaving.

I'm getting my car back only on Friday. Not a happy Hyundai customer.
Old 30th April 2011, 14:09   #42
BHPian

Seems like the Trident guys finally nailed the culprit, a faulty solenoid relay in the starter motor. They replaced that under warranty and the car's back in form for over 4 days now.

The door ajar lamp flickering issue was a loose contact with the bonnet sensor and that was fixed. They also took care of the 2 scratches on the rear spoiler (on the roof) and all this set me back by zero rupees.

Nevertheless, i was without my car for almost a week. Well, all's well now, so finally a happy Hyundai customer