Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2010, 13:41   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 120
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Swift VDi - execessive tyre wear - help

Hi ,

My swift vdi just crossed 22400 kms and suddenly i noticed excessive tyre wear since the 20000 kms paid service.

Havent seen this much wear prior to the 20000 kms when the wheel alignment, balancing etc where done by the service center.

What could be the reason for this? And now to stop this from happening even if I change the tyres. I see 22500 kms is too early for a tyre change even for an oem tyre (JK tyres)
Front left:
Swift VDi - execessive tyre wear - help-front-left.jpg
Front right:
Swift VDi - execessive tyre wear - help-front-right.jpg

Both seem to have wear pattern which is uniform and on the inside.

Last edited by ramkris : 11th March 2010 at 13:43.
ramkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 13:44   #2
BHPian
 
VTEC_Rocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 139
Thanked: 2 Times
Default

Looking at the pictures it is very clear that the wheel alignment has not been done properly. Or the tyres are not rotated regularly. this usually causes the wear the way you are facing. The inner thread of the tire gets worn out.

Have you have rotated the tires at regular intervals???
VTEC_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 13:48   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 120
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTEC_Rocks View Post
Looking at the pictures it is very clear that the wheel alignment has not been done properly. Or the tyres are not rotated regularly. this usually causes the wear the way you are facing. The inner thread of the tire gets worn out.

Have you have rotated the tires at regular intervals???
Tyre rotation done during every service / 5000 kms. But prior to 20000 kms the wear was even on all 4 tyres. This rapid wear is experienced only during the last 2500 kms.
ramkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 13:51   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,345
Thanked: 789 Times
Default

ramkris a typical problem when wheel alignment isn't done correctly. If the alignment is out, it can cause excessive tire wear and steering or tracking problems. I would recommend that you get a new set of tires and get them aligned at a store who have state of the art equipment.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 11th March 2010 at 13:52.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 13:58   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default

Ramkris

The wheel camber angle is on the negative side and out of range.
The normal range is +/- 0.30 degrees.
To confirm, just check the steering of another Swift with same wheel setup. Your car's steering would feel heavier.

Cheers

Last edited by kpzen : 11th March 2010 at 13:59.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 14:15   #6
BHPian
 
vasanthn21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 745
Thanked: 303 Times
Default

Doesn't the wear look a bit on the higher side for it to be due to wheel balancing?

It might be due to play in wheel bearings and/or worn suspension joints too. Since this problem has appeared after the service, could it have to do something with the wheel bearing?

Seniors in the forum can guide.

EDIT:

Found this article on a site:

One Side Wear
[SIZE=-1]When an inner or outer rib wears faster than than the rest of the tire, the need for wheel alignment is indicated. There is excessive camber in the front suspension, causing the wheel to lean too much to the inside or outside and putting too much load on one side of the tire. The car may simply need the wheels aligned, but misalignment could be due to sagging springs, worn ball joints, or worn control arm bushings. Because load has a great affect on alignment, be sure the car is loaded the way it's normally driven when you have the wheels aligned; this is particularly important with independent rear suspension cars.[/SIZE]

Link to the site: http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

Note: The image in the website is of the cross section of the tire. (Thought I might mention this, I took some time to figure this out )

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 11th March 2010 at 14:18.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 14:24   #7
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 120
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
Ramkris

The wheel camber angle is on the negative side and out of range.
The normal range is +/- 0.30 degrees.
To confirm, just check the steering of another Swift with same wheel setup. Your car's steering would feel heavier.

Cheers
Is the camber adjustable on most front wheel drive cars? I thought only thing adjustable is the toe. That being the case, I narrow this down to either alignment issue with the last service/suspension issues. I dont remember hitting something heavily even potholes during the last few thousand kilometers. So without physical damage, suspension damage around 20k kms is quite unlikely. That too with uniform wear on the inside of both the front wheels.

I took the car to the service center couple of days back and toe was adjusted. But now I am feeling the car pullin g to the left excessively.

If I am going to change the tyres I would like to ensure this problem is resolved so that it wont affect the new tyres also. What can be done to ensure that this issue is fixed?

Even if the service center is to blame they wont bear the cost of the new tyres after 20000 kms of running right.

Last edited by ramkris : 11th March 2010 at 14:26.
ramkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 14:25   #8
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,746
Thanked: 7,450 Times
Default

Unfortunately tyres have taken the toll, goto an independent alignment specialist and get the settings done asap and rotate so that front left can get some more kms. Use the spare instead of FT RT.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 17:26   #9
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,799 Times
Default

It's definitely a wheel alignment issue. No question about it.

Did you get it done regularly or did oyu just ask the service guys to do it when you ghave it for service?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 17:49   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 120
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Unfortunately tyres have taken the toll, goto an independent alignment specialist and get the settings done asap and rotate so that front left can get some more kms. Use the spare instead of FT RT.
Well, my spare tyre is actually only a spare, coz there was a puncture long back and it was not repairable so had put a tube and put it on the back. :(

I am due for a premature new tyre purchase afterall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
It's definitely a wheel alignment issue. No question about it.

Did you get it done regularly or did oyu just ask the service guys to do it when you ghave it for service?
Alignment was done during the service and same was being billed during each service. So I assume it was done. Let me check the previous service bills and see if there was any alignment report provided as part of that.
ramkris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 17:50   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
nitrous's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: UAE/Lon/Madras
Posts: 6,966
Thanked: 282 Times
Default

Well, Thank the wrong alignment to have worn out those crappy JKs so fast that you can now upgrade to 185/70/R14 and have a safe drive.
Learn from this mistake and always have the alignment done every 5000 kms at a tyre dealer with expensive equipment and not the A.S.S.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 17:57   #12
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Nikhilb2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 4,825
Thanked: 4,799 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Well, Thank the wrong alignment to have worn out those crappy JKs so fast that you can now upgrade to 185/70/R14 and have a safe drive.
Learn from this mistake and always have the alignment done every 5000 kms at a tyre dealer with expensive equipment and not the A.S.S.
I agree. Not necessarily with the "expensive equipment", but outside.

Service centres rarely do a good job when it comes to Wheel rotation, wheel balancing and wheel alignment.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 18:35   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkris View Post
Is the camber adjustable on most front wheel drive cars? I thought only thing adjustable is the toe. That being the case, I narrow this down to either alignment issue with the last service/suspension issues. I dont remember hitting something heavily even potholes during the last few thousand kilometers. So without physical damage, suspension damage around 20k kms is quite unlikely. That too with uniform wear on the inside of both the front wheels.

I took the car to the service center couple of days back and toe was adjusted. But now I am feeling the car pullin g to the left excessively.

If I am going to change the tyres I would like to ensure this problem is resolved so that it wont affect the new tyres also. What can be done to ensure that this issue is fixed?

Even if the service center is to blame they wont bear the cost of the new tyres after 20000 kms of running right.
Everything can be set right .Just goto a good tire alignment shop.
Getting alignment done from service center is waste of money IMHO.

Whenever i give the car for service i give them a strict instruction "DON'T TOUCH THE WHEELS"
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 19:41   #14
BHPian
 
krish3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cochin/Bangalore
Posts: 608
Thanked: 15 Times
Default

Ramkris - The problem you faced is typical of what happens when the service centre does the wheel alignment. Take this as an oppurtunity to change your tyres to better ones and a lesson to take it outside every time for alignment.

I'm also taking it as a lesson and will not do a wheel alignment in service centre again.
krish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th March 2010, 20:05   #15
Senior - BHPian
 
addyhemmige's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bangalore/Hassan
Posts: 1,549
Thanked: 465 Times
Default

I get my Swift's alignment done at the service station and so far, I had a problem only once, but they rectified it immediately. Even after alignment & balancing was done, the car used to pull to the left. I complained and they got it done properly & ever since, I have no problem.

So what are the symptoms of bad wheel alignment? It will be helpful if anyone can tell me how to detect a case of bad alignment or balancing.
addyhemmige is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HELP! Uneven rear tyre wear in Wagon-R ravi@64bhp Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 13 4th July 2016 17:02
Uneven Tyre Wear? IMP Technical Stuff 31 4th June 2012 18:02
Need Help : Excessive tire wear problem in Swift VXI Jan 06 D1ISTHE1 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 21 9th November 2007 00:01
Some questions about tyre wear devarshi84 Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 68 5th April 2007 15:56
Uneven Tyre wear!? - Goodyear GSD2 Eagle F1 anarchist Tyre & Alloy wheel Section 4 10th March 2006 13:00


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks