Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 15th March 2010, 23:34   #1
Default Hyundai Elantra - Oil in the intake line

Hi, a friend of mine has an approx 1 lakh km done Hyundai elantra CRDI. his car is not that responsive. i have driven it and it feels pretty sluggish. acceleration slows down drastically after 140, and even though turbo kick in is mildly registered, once the RPM crosses 3K it feels stressed.

We opened up the intake line as we suspected that maybe the turbo bearing might be damaged and freshly dripping oil was found in the intake hose.

The hyundai service guys said that it was not a problem and a normal 1 lakh service will bring back the performance and that all CRDi engines have this oil leak problem.

Now i would like to know what can be done and how serious this might become. I dont believe that the A.S.C guys can sort it out properly as they were just telling him to keep topping up the oil whenever it went low and that getting a turbo repaired would cost close to 25,000 Rs and if required the injectors might need to be replaced and each injector costs 20,000.

and it seems these people cant even clean injectors here and they need to send it to Hyderabad for getting it done.

I would be grateful if someone could lend some insight on what can be done.

and we dont know how the car has been maintained as we did not know that the car had done 1 lakh till this morning. the clock had been tampered with and was showing 50K.

Any help in this matter would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by civ4647 : 15th March 2010 at 23:37.
civ4647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2010, 07:11   #2

Your turbo is leaking oil. Normal with all crdi vehicles because oil comes at high pressure from the oil pump. The only difference is that you have excessive leakage...which means your turbo bearings are on their out.

Oil in the intake also means oil in the intercooler. SO, during the servicing, get the entire intercooler, intake manifold removed, thoroughly cleaned of oil + carbon residues. Also get a GOOD decarb of the engine done.
You are good to go for for another 50000 kms at least.

This is the low cost option. The moderate cost option will be to service the turbo bearings.
The high cost option will be to get a new turbo (about 70000 bucks at least)!
1self is offline   Reply With Quote