Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 01:28   #16
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,350
Thanked: 31 Times
Default

Happy that you came to TBHP to get all your issues sorted out!!

Wow!! you changed your steering thrice for your City? Same dealer? If so you dealer doesn't seem to know a thing. If they can't distinguish between a steering issue and an alignment problem.

If you knew the alignment guy to be competent, you should have approached him about your tyre problem Better late than never.

I think your dealer sucks. Is there no alternative? What about other Rajasthan Civic owners?
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 01:35   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Mpower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 10,432
Thanked: 1,682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gennius View Post
That's the problem Jaggu bhai! There is only 1 Honda workshop (Pink City Honda) in the whole of Rajasthan (Initially there was only 1. I don't know if they have increased it now). Its a bloody monopoly!
LOL, Irony is that Honda car factory is right there in Jaipur. I suggest you contact the company and ask them to send an engineer down to take a look at your car.

Steering replaced 3 times under warranty sounds fishy.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 09:45   #18
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gennius View Post
Yes I will.

Its a noise similar what one hears when the engine revs post 3000rpm in the Civic. The car vibrates more than normal when it is revved between 2300-2600rpm, then it mellows down a little between 2600-3000rpm and then you hear the normal 3000rpm+ noise. It is the normal 'revving' sort of a noise, but its just that it was vibration-free and completely silent before when the engine was revved below 3000rpm.
To be precise, it is not the noise that's 'bizarre' and 'abnormal' but the significant rise in the NVH level.
Hmm. Do you hear a rattling sound when you cold start the car in the morning? Carefully listen for rattles when you go through small potholes at low speeds (20-30KMPH). Listen for it on the front RHS.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 11:58   #19
BHPian
 
tusharsethi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 123
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

Hey gennius,

I know a lot of people who are tired of Pink City Honda service. Earlier they had a monopoly so they could say whatever they wanted. Here are the details for the other honda dealer :

Sunshine Honda :
G-153-154,Behind Infosys, Sitapura Industrial Area,Jaipur
Ph : 0141 - 300123

Another thing is if you want to get your wheels properly checked, I know someone who is the best at it here. I've been sending him my cars for the past 8 years. PM me if you want the details.

cheers
Tushar
tusharsethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 14:33   #20
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,162
Thanked: 3,757 Times
Default

I would say 25,000km should be about par for the tyres on a car like the Civic, esp. in rough conditions like India.

Noise wise by and large tyres with more grip tend to be noisier and last less. There are always exceptions to any thumb rule.

One point - this is for my own interest. Did the car come with four alloys or five? I am told the standard is four. What rubbish, since then for 80% of the time the steel wheel is on display.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 18:16   #21
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Since you've asked this in every Civic thread, I'll answer here.

My car is a September 2008 car. I got five alloy wheels.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 21:36   #22
BHPian
 
gennius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 41
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by csentil View Post
Happy that you came to TBHP to get all your issues sorted out!!

Wow!! you changed your steering thrice for your City? Same dealer? If so you dealer doesn't seem to know a thing. If they can't distinguish between a steering issue and an alignment problem.

If you knew the alignment guy to be competent, you should have approached him about your tyre problem Better late than never.

I think your dealer sucks. Is there no alternative? What about other Rajasthan Civic owners?
I haven't felt happier consulting you guys by becoming active on this website!

Yeah same dealer.. That's not all! An engineer from Honda came all the way from Delhi and the steering was changed again on his consent! So it's just not the dealers you see.. -_-

Initially even that tyre guy was being lazy and saying that its the problem with the steering. But after hearing that the problem wasn't solved even after the steering being changed thrice, he put his foot down and solved his problem!

There is a new Honda workshop called Sunshine Honda. But Pink City Honda is just some miles away from my dad's factory, whereas Sitapura is completely on the opposite side of the city! It is a complete waste of fuel!
gennius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 21:46   #23
BHPian
 
gennius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 41
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I would say 25,000km should be about par for the tyres on a car like the Civic, esp. in rough conditions like India.

Noise wise by and large tyres with more grip tend to be noisier and last less. There are always exceptions to any thumb rule.

One point - this is for my own interest. Did the car come with four alloys or five? I am told the standard is four. What rubbish, since then for 80% of the time the steel wheel is on display.
Hmm.. I got 5 alloys on my car sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Hmm. Do you hear a rattling sound when you cold start the car in the morning? Carefully listen for rattles when you go through small potholes at low speeds (20-30KMPH). Listen for it on the front RHS.
I don't hear any sound brother. It's just that the starts making more noise post 2500rpm which otherwise would make the same post 3000rpm. It doesn't feel that refined anymore. Its just that added little unwanted grunt. I hope you're getting what i'm trying to convey.
gennius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 23:28   #24
BHPian
 
civ4647's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vizag
Posts: 90
Thanked: 172 Times
Default

Firstly for the tire wear, get your alignment checked. Lot of people don't know that rear alignment is possible for civic. I lost 2 sets of 17" tires at the rear because of improper alignment and deafening tire roar above 60.

After i brought this to my Honda service center attention, they checked their alignment specs, and asked me to drop off my car. they did a free alignment and now no tire noise. about the wear i have run 9K kms with the new specs with alignment redone in-between and have'nt had any problems till now.

As for the electrical problems, first time i am hearing of such a thing. I have tampered around with the wiring in my car so much and still have not had any major problems, except for a fuse blowout once.
civ4647 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 08:03   #25
BHPian
 
gennius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 41
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by civ4647 View Post
Firstly for the tire wear, get your alignment checked. Lot of people don't know that rear alignment is possible for civic. I lost 2 sets of 17" tires at the rear because of improper alignment and deafening tire roar above 60.

After i brought this to my Honda service center attention, they checked their alignment specs, and asked me to drop off my car. they did a free alignment and now no tire noise. about the wear i have run 9K kms with the new specs with alignment redone in-between and have'nt had any problems till now.

As for the electrical problems, first time i am hearing of such a thing. I have tampered around with the wiring in my car so much and still have not had any major problems, except for a fuse blowout once.
Yeah. I aligned my rear wheels too! And now no tyre noise comes from behind! Now is when I can cherish the true ride quality of the Civic. Tyres really do play an inevitable role in a vehicle!

The electrical problems were freaky! There wasn't any of such before. I believe that when the Honda guy took my car to repair the light strip of the music system is when he must have tampered with other electric circuits which consequently might be causing these problems! But anyhow I did NOT expect such unprecedented problems from a 12 lakh Honda!
gennius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 08:58   #26
Senior - BHPian
 
SPIKE ARRESTOR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deutschland
Posts: 2,676
Thanked: 744 Times
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gennius View Post
And does it make a significant different if tyres of different makes are installed in the same car?
Please let me know asap since I have to replace the tyres tomorrow.
Although it is a bit late, i would like to mention the problems associated with this here. First of all the unsprung masses of different makes need not be same so will be their resonant frequencies. Secondly, the most important factor is Tyre stiffness, this will play a vital role during cornering (variation in cornering stiffness and hence the camber thrust generated), also the rolling resistance will be different resulting in understeer/oversteer/neutral steer.

Spike
SPIKE ARRESTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 10:29   #27
Senior - BHPian
 
ImmortalZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 2,133
Thanked: 139 Times
Default

Well, if you believe the A.S.S caused the issue, why blame the car anyway. Take it to the other A.S.S before the current one ruins everything further. Waste of fuel is better than ending up changing a complete wiring harness worth several tens of thousands of rupees.

As for your noise, I don't really have an explanation. VTEC kicking in early? The i in the iVTEC adds a bunch of variables - it changes the cam profiles according to a variety of factors and there is no set RPM.
ImmortalZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 11:07   #28
BHPian
 
tusharsethi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 123
Thanked: 41 Times
Default

@ gennius - It is better to spend 200-300 for the fuel than to spend 1000's later. One of my friend's CRV had a similar electrical problem and Pink City couldn't solve it and hence he finally had to change the wiring harness.

So its better to do something about it now rather than waiting for their excuses.
tusharsethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2010, 20:44   #29
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: KA 53/KL 9
Posts: 259
Thanked: 124 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gennius View Post
Hey everyone,
What do you mean by tyre rotation interval?
Are you referring to wheel alignment or balancing in any case?
Tyre rotation means interchanging tyres front to back and/or left to right in a pattern mentioned in the service manuals mostly. This is mainly to make sure all tyres wear out similarly
narayanang76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2010, 09:34   #30
BHPian
 
gennius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 41
Thanked: 54 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Although it is a bit late, i would like to mention the problems associated with this here. First of all the unsprung masses of different makes need not be same so will be their resonant frequencies. Secondly, the most important factor is Tyre stiffness, this will play a vital role during cornering (variation in cornering stiffness and hence the camber thrust generated), also the rolling resistance will be different resulting in understeer/oversteer/neutral steer.

Spike
Thanks for the information! I always felt that there would arise some issues if tyres of 2 or more makes are installed in the same car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalZ View Post
Well, if you believe the A.S.S caused the issue, why blame the car anyway. Take it to the other A.S.S before the current one ruins everything further. Waste of fuel is better than ending up changing a complete wiring harness worth several tens of thousands of rupees.

As for your noise, I don't really have an explanation. VTEC kicking in early? The i in the iVTEC adds a bunch of variables - it changes the cam profiles according to a variety of factors and there is no set RPM.
When I decided myself to go to the workshop and get the car (NHC) fixed, I was pretty satisfied. I also got a printout of the life feed of PGM-FI. Will post that soon too! I guess I have to be present for my car's service from now on, even though it consumes a lot of time!! But anyway, an auto-enthusiast like me wouldn't mind! ;-)

Even I am confused about the noise. I too think that it is the VTEC kicking in early. But why all of a sudden now and not before?? Is this any fault or something? If yes, any solution to the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusharsethi View Post
@ gennius - It is better to spend 200-300 for the fuel than to spend 1000's later. One of my friend's CRV had a similar electrical problem and Pink City couldn't solve it and hence he finally had to change the wiring harness.

So its better to do something about it now rather than waiting for their excuses.
I will definitely make a trip to Sunshine Honda and check their service too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayanang76 View Post
Tyre rotation means interchanging tyres front to back and/or left to right in a pattern mentioned in the service manuals mostly. This is mainly to make sure all tyres wear out similarly
Thanks a lot! Will do that too!
gennius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Virus problems/spyware problems! post here! SirAlec Gadgets, Computers & Software 10 16th July 2014 00:05
Problems With My Civic And Honda Does Not Care alankarm@sancha The Indian Car Scene 125 6th June 2011 23:42
Mahindra Scorpio CRDE 2007 - Problems 'n' Problems chandrda Technical Stuff 3 13th November 2009 09:59
My 2006 Civic problems MumbaiBoy Long-Term Ownership Reviews 11 20th November 2008 21:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:35.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks