Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd March 2010, 20:57   #16
BHPian

@Nirmaljusdoit- Technically you're right, OE parts are only supposed to be available at the A S S and they don't entertain counter sale. But somehow I have come across OE parts in the the Toyota box with the seal on G P Road retailing for a lot less than what it does in the A S S.

Besides since I give my car to the A S S for regular scheduled maintenance I have made some friends there and have managed to once buy parts across the counter so I am pretty sure getting OE parts are not a problem at all.

The parts which are being changed are the struts and the clutch which are KYB and LuK brands respectively. A quick inspection should reveal the brands used.

Also the rear bearing is the hub type and I have already replaced one bearing. This one must be due for replacement too. As you said its a sealed bearing and requires no maintenance and has to be replaced it worn out.
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:17   #17
BHPian

Beware of such parts which are available in the market !! Some times the fakes look even better than the originals

Nothing like buying the parts from the Toyota A** if you can convince them !

Some more info on the struts, they were localized in India made by a company called Tenneco. The KYB struts could be imported into India from Thailand (made by Kayaba Thailand for the Thai Corolla) The damping rates of the coils may be different & you could land up with a unbalanced ride front to back, do keep it in mind.Check the stickers for Thai fonts.

The clutch was localized too with LUK in India, guess it should be fine.

Btw, you must have driven over some pretty rough roads for the bearings to be worn out !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2010, 21:56   #18
BHPian

@Nirmaljusdoit-I bought this car used so I am guessing the previous owner did quite a few rough miles. I am also guessing its probably because it was driven in a lot of stagnant water. That was the reason my previous car (M-1000) had worn out bearings at the rear.

Yes! I am a little scared of landing up with fakes but I guess as you said Thai writings on the sides should be enough. My current struts are KYB make. I will try to get the same to avoid confusion. Anyway HI REV is supposed to be reputable. I don't think they would cut corners. Besides when I checked the rates for struts in the A S S they quoted the same Rs.2200/- per strut. Anyway I will be careful thanks.

The original clutch costs around Rs.5500/- at the A S S and I am guessing the 2k is for labour. Is that a fair amount? And I think the Thai Corolla had parts made by Kyoto Thailand I think. I could be wrong though.
Old 22nd March 2010, 22:53   #19
BHPian

flipsyde - The rates quoted for the parts seems to be reasonable.
You could haggle a bit on the labor though - around 1500 for clutch overhaul.

Koito Thailand supplies the headlights & tail lights for the Corolla. Clutch im not so sure, could be EXEDY though !

All the best for the overhaul, do update us with pics !
nirmaljusdoit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 09:08   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
@Mpower - I was told the replacement bush kits were of poor quality and that it would wear out very soon and hence I'd be paying double in labour charges when I came back to get them replaced and so I was advised to replace the entire control arm.

I don't have anyone to source it from the US for me and besides I am always scared of ordering the wrong parts. I'd much prefer buying it from any dealer in India.

@R2D2 - Thats a brilliant idea. But I was under the impression the entire suspension setup was changed for the facelift and not just the struts and springs. That said if the struts in the facelift version were interchangeable with the older car then I'd close my eyes and go for it.

And I don't think getting the newer suspension parts will be difficult in the outside market after all its a Japanese car and its almost been 5 years since the facelift.
Flipsyde, think of it this way, if the original factory fitted suspension parts (I assume this is the 1st change) could last 80K kms, why not repeat that by going in for another set of OEM spares? :-) Honestly, this is a no brainer for me at least. You can save money by having this done outside but unless you know the technician and his source of spares is undoubtable with regards to the quality, there is an element of risk involved.

IMHO, it is a no brainer. If you are not going with aftermarket performance components, go with Toyota's spares and service.

Cheers!
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 12:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

You have mentioned that your Corolla goes to the service station for regular maintenance, if there is no big difference between the price quoted for a similar (replacement & repair) works, its better you get it replaced at authorized service station. You can also restrict the amount of work with A.S.S similar to what the outside garage has proposed.

I have observed that most of these outside garages does not exceptionally perform in comparison to the A.S.S, its the comfort feeling one has due to the way they alter their thoughts based on customers.
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 13:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest:
1. going to an authorised dealer only.
2. since there has been a problem (rust) by going to 1, you may write to Toyota.

I skip general shops except for some minor paint/polishing jobs. Minor paint jobs are usually on some portion of the bumper.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2010, 20:20   #23
BHPian

@Nirmaljusdoit- Thanks for the help will talk to them regarding the price. Pics maybe a little difficult as I hardly get time to spend at the garage. But I will try to get some pics at least.

@Surprise- The price for labour at the A S S is quite high from what I have noticed. For example the clutch replacement would have cost me around 9.5k to 10k at the A S S whereas outside its 7k and this is with OE parts. Regular service is a whole different story because I get them the oil every time as I used synthetic for my last 2 changes. Other wise the only part which is replaced is the oil filter. I go to them for regular service for two reasons. One is service history maintained by the company and two I feel their diagnosis is generally good and they check the car bonnet to boot throughly for problems.

I also go to outside garages only based on recommendation and HI REV was recommended strongly by Nitrous. Also because I feel Electra is starting to be a little shoddy with their job. Things aren't the same without Krupesh at the moment I feel.

@Vasudeva- I would like nothing more than to go to the A S S everytime I have a problem but trust me sometimes the cost can really burn a big hole in your pocket especially if you have bought the car used.

The rust is only on the outside of the tie rod ends, but the tie rod end themselves are in good shape. I'll get OE parts replaced once these wear out. I was actually conned by Electra as they told me the tie rod ends were indeed OE parts and I actually paid the OE part cost for it too!
Old 24th March 2010, 13:38   #24
BHPian

UPDATE- Though not suspension related I just thought I'll keep everyone informed as of this morning the clutch has been replaced. I also went to G P Road and purchased a new rear wheel hub bearing of SMR make. Cost me Rs.2000/. The rear discs are back from skimming and they look pretty good now. My front left brake hose has kinda lost its insulation in one spot. I'm trying hard to source the part but looks like its not in stock at the moment even with the A S S. Since its only the insulation I am not too worried and will get it replaced once the part arrives.

Struts are planned to be installed in the afternoon. All other suspension components were inspected and cleared. I called Deepak of Tire Store and ordered a fresh set of Continental CPC2 tyres. They are setting me back Rs.4300/- each. I have asked the garage to look into the door panels and the dash board which seem to have started rattling rather badly off late. Especially after I got the cooling coil replaced which involved the entire dashboard being removed.

I need the front and rear bumpers painted.... not now.... maybe later I guess. otherwise the car seems to be getting back in shape.
Old 26th March 2010, 21:46   #25
BHPian

Got my car back today finally!! Its now got new front struts, new rear bearings, new clutch assembly and new conti cpc2 tyres. The new suspensions up front make such a lot of difference. No more noise from the front end. Can't say much about the tyres since I've hardly driven 15km on them. The gear shift is so much easier now thanks to the new clutch. I think the flywheel was also faced a tiny bit as the old clutch had left behind some scuff marks. I am not sure if its because of that the motor seems to be gaining and loosing revvs a tad bit faster.... but then again that could purely be placebo!

On my way back I did notice that the rear brakes seem be ineffective. The rotors were faced too but for some reason they don't seem to be holding well. The nose of the car seems to dive a lot more than whats normal. I will be heading back to the garage to check it out. Will update soon.
Old 26th March 2010, 22:08   #26
Team-BHP Support

Nose diving and rear brake not holding? Can be better brakes overall, new strut soft which they should be. Not a good way to judge the brake if you ask me.

Try hard braking on a clean stretch and then judge better.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 22:37   #27
BHPian

Hi flypside, my 2003 Corolla is now at 91k mark.

It had a sound from front left side around 80k mark. I replaced the front left strut and after that it was fine.

I agree that Corolla's suspension is not performance oriented, more towards comfort. Other than that I dont see any issues with the suspension.
toretto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2010, 22:46   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Nose diving and rear brake not holding? Can be better brakes overall, new strut soft which they should be. Not a good way to judge the brake if you ask me.

Try hard braking on a clean stretch and then judge better.
Will do that first thing in the morning... Yeah I knew the nose dive wasn't the best way to judge but I kinda felt the rear brakes weren't holding too well. I'll also check if the rotors are more than 7.5mm thk which is the min. thickness
Old 27th March 2010, 00:18   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Will do that first thing in the morning... Yeah I knew the nose dive wasn't the best way to judge
after a long agressive drive if you have less heat in one of the brakes then caliper is probably jammed.
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 02:17   #30
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Corolla Suspension Overhaul

Not wanting to start a new thread,I am "ghusaofying" a few of my experiences with my 2003 Corolla here.

It's been a little over a month since I got a 2003H4. I got one steering boot and one axle boot replaced.

Both the steering boot and the axle boot were not available locally;tried to retrofit steering boots of other cars but the ID wasn't matching with the Corolla's steering rack OD.

Scouted around for more steering boots and chanced upon an old Power Steering rack of a PALIO

The Palio's steering boot seemed like a good fit ;got that fitted and Boy,it was perfect.

The gear box end axle boot(right side) also had a cut;couldn't get one here as well.

Got a boot made by NASKA New Delhi meant for an Accent(did not see the pack,though).I have used NASKA earlier and can vouch for the quality of rubber.

Had to cut some rubber projection around the circumference of the boot to match the Corolla's axle side grooves and there again it was a perfect fit.

Total cost - steering boot -free plus axle boot -Rs.150 plus axle grease Rs.35(FB Gold).

It's been over two weeks and both boots are doing fine
vigsom is offline   Reply With Quote