Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2016, 18:32   #76
BHPian
 
Aficionados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 91
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Corolla Suspension Overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawalmakwana99 View Post
Gosh!


1. Fuel Efficiency. This thing is a guzzler. I travel in traffic most of the time of the day. And I will have to apply for a loan just to fill up! That is why I have installed Bio-fuel CNG in my car so I can save on my running costs.

Any questions, please shoot up. I may not know it all, but problem solving is easier with problem sharing on a common platform.

DM99
I've recently purchased a 2006 Corolla Automatic E4-G and I'm planning to have the CNG kit fitted. I plan to use this car only for office commute in a very busy area. For highway run and outside duties, I've other car to take care of those.
How much did the CNG kit cost you? Any noticeable difference in the power? What is the difference in the mileage now with CNG?
Thanks in advance
Aficionados is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th December 2016, 22:48   #77
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 33
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Corolla Suspension Overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionados View Post
I've recently purchased a 2006 Corolla Automatic E4-G and I'm planning to have the CNG kit fitted. I plan to use this car only for office commute in a very busy area. For highway run and outside duties, I've other car to take care of those.
How much did the CNG kit cost you? Any noticeable difference in the power? What is the difference in the mileage now with CNG?
Thanks in advance
Hi Aficionados,
Congratulations on your purchase.

A few things you have to know about CNG conversion on the Corolla.

- Always. Always opt to go for the Sequential CNG kit. I made a mistake by installing the 'Closed loop: kit. The only reason for doing so is the ease of throttle response adjustment in different gears via a computer. You have to manually do it in the closed loop one.

The Lovato closed loop kit costs Rs 30k with the endorsement on the RC card whereas the Sequential will set you back by Rs 40k. However, there are cheaper options available which I wouldn't advice.

CNG I think is perfect for city commutes with more traffic. You will noticeably applying more throttle to get off the line since there is less power available. Make sure you are used to driving the car and are accustomed to clutch biting point or you will end up burning the clutch sooner. At the same time, less throttle application will make the engine vibrate so make sure the engine mounts are in good condition.

On the highway I would suggest keeping it on Petrol only. Apart from the stress on the engine, a CNG kit does take away the motoring fun to say the least.

There is a noticeable power drop. The kit tuned correctly will not be too boring but a bad setting will make you want to dump the whole idea of CNG sometimes.

Considering you have an automatic transmission car and the traffic conditions mentioned above, your car will moat probably do 100 - 120kms in a full tank of an average of 8kgs of gas. Which translates to approximately 13.75kms / kg of gas.

Some other pointers.

Change the spark plugs to brand new ones when installing the CNG kit.
Have your ignition coils checked as they have to work overtime to compensate for the biofuel to ignite and the combustion process to begin.
The air filter has to be clean and everytime you have it cleaned, the CNG kit has to be retuned to work in harmony with the airflow.

Having said this, my travel is going to reduce from some 40odd kms to 9kms in the next couple of months which is pushing me to ditch the whole CNG kit. Hopefully change to something more fun to drive. Like a big Turbo Petrol! *hopefully*
dhawalmakwana99 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 09:50   #78
BHPian
 
Aficionados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 91
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Corolla Suspension Overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhawalmakwana99 View Post
Hi Aficionados,
Congratulations on your purchase.

A few things you have to know about CNG conversion on the Corolla.

- Always. Always opt to go for the Sequential CNG kit. I made a mistake by installing the 'Closed loop: kit. The only reason for doing so is the ease of throttle response adjustment in different gears via a computer. You have to manually do it in the closed loop one.

The Lovato closed loop kit costs Rs 30k with the endorsement on the RC card whereas the Sequential will set you back by Rs 40k. However, there are cheaper options available which I wouldn't advice.

CNG I think is perfect for city commutes with more traffic. You will noticeably applying more throttle to get off the line since there is less power available. Make sure you are used to driving the car and are accustomed to clutch biting point or you will end up burning the clutch sooner. At the same time, less throttle application will make the engine vibrate so make sure the engine mounts are in good condition.

On the highway I would suggest keeping it on Petrol only. Apart from the stress on the engine, a CNG kit does take away the motoring fun to say the least.

There is a noticeable power drop. The kit tuned correctly will not be too boring but a bad setting will make you want to dump the whole idea of CNG sometimes.

Considering you have an automatic transmission car and the traffic conditions mentioned above, your car will moat probably do 100 - 120kms in a full tank of an average of 8kgs of gas. Which translates to approximately 13.75kms / kg of gas.

Some other pointers.

Change the spark plugs to brand new ones when installing the CNG kit.
Have your ignition coils checked as they have to work overtime to compensate for the biofuel to ignite and the combustion process to begin.
The air filter has to be clean and everytime you have it cleaned, the CNG kit has to be retuned to work in harmony with the airflow.

Having said this, my travel is going to reduce from some 40odd kms to 9kms in the next couple of months which is pushing me to ditch the whole CNG kit. Hopefully change to something more fun to drive. Like a big Turbo Petrol! *hopefully*
Thanks buddy! That was quite insightful, the reason why i like TBHP so much
I plan to keep the car for 2-3 years and looking at the cost of CNG kit and other extra added maintenance while also compromising on the fun , I need to rethink on this option. I don't think the break-even of this CNG cost would be achieved in 2 years unless I use it heavily I will rather wait for few months to see the actual running and mileage of Corolla before jumping further!
Aficionados is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 10:11   #79
BHPian
 
KK_HakunaMatata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 332
Thanked: 276 Times
Default Re: Corolla Suspension Overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aficionados View Post
Thanks buddy! That was quite insightful, the reason why i like TBHP so much
I plan to keep the car for 2-3 years and looking at the cost of CNG kit and other extra added maintenance while also compromising on the fun , I need to rethink on this option. I don't think the break-even of this CNG cost would be achieved in 2 years unless I use it heavily I will rather wait for few months to see the actual running and mileage of Corolla before jumping further!
Even I acquired a 2006 Corolla in Sep 2015 and I just love this car. I say, if you are keeping it for 2 or 3 years, just enjoy the car as it is. It is not worth installing a CNG kit, as you would never realise its worth when you sell it.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2016, 10:29   #80
BHPian
 
Aficionados's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 91
Thanked: 124 Times
Default Re: Corolla Suspension Overhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK_HakunaMatata View Post
Even I acquired a 2006 Corolla in Sep 2015 and I just love this car. I say, if you are keeping it for 2 or 3 years, just enjoy the car as it is. It is not worth installing a CNG kit, as you would never realise its worth when you sell it.

KK
Yeah, I too am leaning towards the same decision and you guys are helping me to do so . Since I purchased the car just couple of days back, I'm yet to calculate the mileage but hope it doesn't fall down to lower single digit. I would be more than happy with double digit figure, fingers crossed!
Aficionados is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension Overhaul narayan Technical Stuff 92 28th March 2017 12:03
Maruti 800 Suspension Overhaul Cost jramprakash Technical Stuff 37 17th February 2017 21:17
Suspension overhaul for Zen skidrock Technical Stuff 18 16th December 2015 11:55
Baleno Suspension overhaul:any good & reasonable mechanic in South Delhi/Noida kannyrocks Technical Stuff 16 12th December 2011 13:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 18:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks