Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2010, 14:40   #1
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Exclamation Indica Xeta - Engine stays at zero heat

Facing a strange problem, maybe it is not a problem at all but want to get your opinions on this :

My Xeta's temperature needle usually stayed around the halfway mark. When the halfway mark was reached, I could hear the fan start running, and then the needle would move back slightly to the cooler position.

I recently got the car serviced, and opted for engine decarbonizing apart from normal servicing. After the service, the temperature needle stays at zero position. Tried driving some 50kms continuously, it still stays at zero, as if it is not working at all. But there is NO "Check engine" alert.

I thought, it has to be a problem with the temperature sensor not connected properly, or something like that.

Took it back to the service center. The guy said, "It is staying at zero because it is not getting heated at all". I said, how can that be. He idled the car for 15 minutes and showed me the needle had raised very slightly. He said, "See, the sensor is working fine. The fact is that there is no heating and everything is fine in your car."

Is this possible? This is the first time I am seeing my car's temp needle stay at zero (after 2 years of driving it).

Just a guess, is there a possibility that the fan's running is now connected to the engine regardless of its temperature (without the need for a sensor to switch it on)? If so, is that healthy?
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 14:47   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
Captain Slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,256
Thanked: 650 Times
Default

I some how don't trust your service guy. No way the heat indicator can stay at zero even after driving the car for 50KM.

The engine heat sensor must be broken or could have been wrongly calibrated after the decarbonizing.
Did you Get this service done at TATA's A$$?
Captain Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 14:49   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
pramodkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gods own country
Posts: 1,993
Thanked: 857 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
Facing a strange problem, maybe it is not a problem at all but want to get your opinions on this :

My Xeta's temperature needle usually stayed around the halfway mark. When the halfway mark was reached, I could hear the fan start running, and then the needle would move back slightly to the cooler position.

I recently got the car serviced, and opted for engine decarbonizing apart from normal servicing. After the service, the temperature needle stays at zero position. Tried driving some 50kms continuously, it still stays at zero, as if it is not working at all. But there is NO "Check engine" alert.

I thought, it has to be a problem with the temperature sensor not connected properly, or something like that.

Took it back to the service center. The guy said, "It is staying at zero because it is not getting heated at all". I said, how can that be. He idled the car for 15 minutes and showed me the needle had raised very slightly. He said, "See, the sensor is working fine. The fact is that there is no heating and everything is fine in your car."

Is this possible? This is the first time I am seeing my car's temp needle stay at zero (after 2 years of driving it).

Just a guess, is there a possibility that the fan's running is now connected to the engine regardless of its temperature (without the need for a sensor to switch it on)? If so, is that healthy?
The is a piece of Horse crap that the SA gave you. Few checks you can perform.
  • Start you car during morning and see if the fan immediately starts, If yes the w/s guys have bypassed your thermostat
  • Start the car take it for a spin and try flooring the accelerator to see if the car is struggling to pickup, if yes the car is cold.
  • Try the same thing after running 5-7kms, and see if there is any difference.
  • Finally i suspect the temp guage can be at fault, since you said it moved very little once.
All old indicas had heating issues, so people youally by pass the thermostat, even then the needle should show the right reading. Like over heating is a problem and can cause serious damage to the engine under heating is also a equally big problem. If the car doesnot reach the optimum operating temprature then might cause some irreversible damge to it.

Pramod
pramodkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 15:12   #4
BHPian
 
rocky080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 303
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

+1 to pramod kumar. I think it must be a fault with the gauge if the fan is not running and not the sensor or you would have got the "check engine" light. Usually the ecu only checks the temp sensor and it is not designed to check with the gauge(i am not very sure though) .If your service advisor says that your car is at zero temp and running normal again, drive it for 50km and ask him to touch the coolant or exhaust manifold inside with bear hand let me see if what he will say then?

Last edited by rocky080 : 18th March 2010 at 15:13.
rocky080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 15:23   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: RJ 14
Posts: 552
Thanked: 94 Times
Default

Defiantly the TASS is has some distance from your home. Drive there and engine got heated up. Ask that foolish (shrewd actually) fellow to open the radiator cap and dip the finger in cold coolant and he will understand the problem at once.
(Alok) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 15:49   #6
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Default

Ok, here's what I found. The fan does not get switched on as soon as the engine is started. I tried idling the engine for 10 mins with the bonnet open, couldnt feel any heat that I would normally feel, and the needle stayed at zero. The driver at my parking lot who usually helps clean my car, was also confused seeing this. Either the engine should heat up, or the fan should start running. Neither was happening.

Took the car out for a spin, revved it hard. At this driver's suggestion, I didn't slot in the fifth gear. Revved it hard at all four gears (at around 3k rpm). Pickup was normal in all the gears.

Here's what I found. The temp needle does go up, and the fan does get switched on when it goes up, and then the engine cools down. But it doesnt happen at halfway mark as it usually would. Instead, the fan gets switched on when the temp needle touched the quarter way mark itself, and cools the engine immediately.

After coming back to office, stopped the car and opened the bonnet. Again was surprised to see no perceptible heat (didn't touch anything, though). But usually, the bonnet itself would be very hot to touch, which it wasn't.

Called the A.S.S guy. The guy says that this is the normal level for the fan to get switched on, and that the previous level was too much heat.
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 15:52   #7
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Default

To add: Probably, during my 50km trip, the needle would reach quarter level mark, immediately the fan would have started cooling the engine, and it would be back at normal. So whenever I looked at it, it was at zero. Just a guess.

Also, this slight heating (quarter-level mark) happened only with hard revving, without 5th gear. My usual driving style is very light-footed...
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 16:18   #8
BHPian
 
rocky080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 303
Thanked: 35 Times
Default

I don't own a Xeta so i don't know about it. But i have never seen any cars temp gauge at zero when engine is running no matter how fast or frequently the fan runs.In most cars the temp gauge needle is always near the half way mark.I still think there is some problem with your car somewhere but cannot tell you what is the culprit. why don't you check other xeta cars at the service center or if anyone else you know who owns another xeta where their temp gauge points.
rocky080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 17:24   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
deutscheafrikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai & Candolim
Posts: 1,155
Thanked: 316 Times
Default

drive the car in traffic and see what happens with the gauge. Anyway it's not zero any more, sinc eyou say it reaches the quarter mark. Maybe they cleaned the radiator and condensor during the service. Ty driving low gears in traffic with and without the Aircon
Regards
deutscheafrikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 20:02   #10
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
drive the car in traffic and see what happens with the gauge. Anyway it's not zero any more, sinc eyou say it reaches the quarter mark. Maybe they cleaned the radiator and condensor during the service. Ty driving low gears in traffic with and without the Aircon
Regards
Thanks! It looks like the car behaves normally when AC is OFF. On the way back I tried driving for sometime with AC, it showed zero heat. Then I tried switching off the AC, and the needle would go up to around quarter mark (picture below) and then fan would come on, and again it would come back to zero. This happened multiple times.

This was the maximum the temp gauge showed:
Attached Images
 
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 20:25   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
aargee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: KATN
Posts: 4,694
Thanked: 2,115 Times
Default

@Rajushank - when in doubt with one TASS, give a try with a different TASS or some local garage & take their opinion; ask them a question like what do you think? & probably the first thing they would say is "Sir meter problem", so give a reason that you've just changed the guage from TASS yesterday & if they say like they need to open up, then say you'll come back & ask if they've seen this kind of problem before; just try checking their experience with this kind of problem & let them give their own theories & check if this theory matches with the TASS where you usually service from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
After coming back to office, stopped the car and opened the bonnet. Again was surprised to see no perceptible heat (didn't touch anything, though). But usually, the bonnet itself would be very hot to touch, which it wasn't.
But whatever you tested above, the outcome is really weird; I used to drive for about 10mi in winters of Detorit; on any fine day it would be -10 to -15 & by the time I come to office the guage will be at half the level & it cools off in no time; this was the case with several cars that I'd there.

Last edited by aargee : 18th March 2010 at 20:38.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 22:05   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 86
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

I too own a Xeta since 2 years , but temperature needle is always at 1/2 way mark say about 15 minutes of driving in city traffic. But surprisingly when AC is switched on it is at about 1/4 mark. It never comes down to 0 till it is switched off.
kreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 22:12   #13
BHPian
 
_raviShankar_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 136
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Its better to get it checked with a trustworthy local mechanic.
Chennai BHPians should help you find someone in your locality !
_raviShankar_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 22:33   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: zxc
Posts: 3,394
Thanked: 658 Times
Default

Just check, the following by opening bonnet.
In Xeta AC uses the same fan for condenser cooling or it has a separate one.?
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2010, 23:06   #15
BHPian
 
rajushank84's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: California, USA
Posts: 861
Thanked: 350 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
Just check, the following by opening bonnet.
In Xeta AC uses the same fan for condenser cooling or it has a separate one.?
SirAlec, sorry I am quite ignorant looking under the hood. How/where to make out the fan/fans?
rajushank84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tata Indica e-xeta petrol with 17.1 kmpl and e-xeta LPG sidindica The Indian Car Scene 7 9th July 2011 12:39
Indica Xeta - First Experience-How Xeta won the race nirmalkumar Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 12 20th April 2008 16:41
Indica Xeta LPG or Indica Turbo Diesel?? nobreaks Hatchbacks 12 1st September 2006 23:29
Indica Turbo or Indica Xeta BNB Hatchbacks 6 23rd April 2006 11:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 20:50.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks