Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2005, 14:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Turbo Rebuild help

Hey guys I would like to know if a rebuild kit is available for a Toyota CT12-D turbo. Its from a Toyota 1N diesel engine.

The turbo has about 1.5 mm radial play but the axial play is nearly nil.
There is some roughness in the shaft and it will bind while rotating it by hand.

I am getting this for a throwaway price so please let me know if it can be rebuilt or not.

Some pics of the turbo:

Turbine side with wastegate:

Looking into the integral entry/return hole for oil:

Overall:

Compressor side:

Impeller:
Old 30th September 2005, 14:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

hi, yes the ct12 rebuild is available, will find out how much and stocks with my supplier and get back...
Old 30th September 2005, 21:06   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Domnic, that would be great.
Old 30th September 2005, 22:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

hi, checked up no stocks here, its available in thailand though....
Old 1st October 2005, 10:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Can you give me a rough idea of how much it would cost, including labor, balancing (if necessary) etc. I need to know this in order to calculate if this works out for me or not.

Otherwise I can get a working turbo in good condition from the guj, can't I? Or do all the turbos in the guj need a rebuild?
Old 1st October 2005, 10:52   #6
BANNED

Ananthkamath,

Suggest you check out the Contessa Isuzu TD engine in scrap yard, the turbo in it can be re-conditioned for under Rs.10K here.
Old 1st October 2005, 11:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha
Ananthkamath,

Suggest you check out the Contessa Isuzu TD engine in scrap yard, the turbo in it can be re-conditioned for under Rs.10K here.

Wouldnt it be too big for an esteem...and is that 10k inclusive of turbo or only for the rebuild?
Old 1st October 2005, 11:27   #8
BANNED

That would be the combined price, the Isuzu turbo is smaller than the ones used in Toyota 2C.
Old 1st October 2005, 11:30   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurkha
That would be the combined price, the Isuzu turbo is smaller than the ones used in Toyota 2C.
This is the one from the 1N....2C is much bigger. Anyway, as they say, I will "suck it and see". Thanks for the lead.

Would it be possible to get a turbo from a petrol engine here in Indian gujris...

Mine also came as standard on the 1.3L petrol starlet, and also in twin turbo form on the early Supras...
Old 1st October 2005, 22:13   #10
Senior - BHPian

Ananth you can recondition the turbo here however you will have to locate the orignal oil seals / try and see if you can reuse the same, as the turbo is from a starlet and is of a comparable engine capacity you can use it, I happen to use the Isuzu version on the Conti which is a IHI R21 which had been rebuilt here itself, another esteem in Bangalore is running the same turbo.

You will however have to rework on the Wastegate setup as most factory turbos have the wastegates set to open @ 6 PSI.
Old 1st October 2005, 23:08   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath
Mine also came as standard on the 1.3L petrol starlet, and also in twin turbo form on the early Supras...
AK, the turbo on the Supra was a C12-'B' arranged in sequential manner. The D is probably for diesel and is probably different alloy for the turbine housing and the impeller. Diesel turbos

C12B JDM version sported a ceramic impeller. You will need new oil seals and sleeve bearings. If the shaft is damaged U might need to grind the shaft or turn it down if its damaged.

I beileve the turbo was manufactured by Hitachi.
Old 2nd October 2005, 10:58   #12
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the info, Mpower. From what I have read on the net, people don't think too highly of these old CT12 and seem to prefer the CT9...

but in my case, beggars can't be choosers... Also, I would rather study A/R and comp. flow maps to match the turbo than go by 'opinions' on which is better....

Psycho can you direct me to a rebuild shop in Bangalore....one more question, if the kit is not available, do these shops actually machine the center bush?

Ananth

Most Viewed