Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 22nd May 2017, 10:54   #136
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Santro doesnt start when HOT

have you found any solution to this problem. Please share if you have.
lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 17:41   #137
BHPian

Default Re: Santro doesnt start when HOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
have you found any solution to this problem. Please share if you have.
I was trying to loan a starter and unfortunately haven't got the same yet. Last week, when I was discussing this with my friend, he informed me about his uncle, who is an automobile mechanic. So I thought of visiting him. At least I could get an assurance that everything is checked properly. Visited him last week and explained all the scenarios.

I wanted to check three things. Battery, Starter motor and anything that restricts the engine to crank when it is hot. Third was ruled out by him pretty quick by trying to crank the engine manually. Next we moved to battery. He replaced an almost new battery from another car and started the engine. Engine started without any issues. Repeated the process nearly 10 times. Out of that, car faced the same starting trouble once. But it started in the next attempt. Since it was 1 in 11 tries, he didn't bothered much. But I was bit bothered, since I was facing this irregular behaviour for a long time. He advised me to replace the battery, since it almost reached its lifespan. Also the electrician said that there is a minor bulge for the battery and there is some sedimentation in the battery and it's advised to change or else I will get an unexpected failure any time.

But before replacing the battery, I need to ensure that the starter motor is working fine. Due to the unavailability of a loan starter motor, I advised him to check the individual parts of the motor. Since the solenoid, brushes and armature were replaced, next thing I want him to check was the field coil. Especially any short circuit happening when itís hot. He removed the starter and passed it to the electrician and personally supervised the testing process. Checked every part of the starter and finally concluded that there is no issue with the starter motor.

So I thought of giving a shot by replacing the battery. This time, I want a change to Amaron. Last wednesday, visited the Amaron pit stop, asked him to check the battery and he checked the battery with a Multimeter. I enquired him about checking the battery with a load tester. He raised the multimeter and said that "Sir. This is the load tester !". I had to correct him that it is a multimeter, not a load tester and explained what a battery load tester is. He confirmed that they don't have such a device with them. They check the battery with multimeter only. Anyway he checked the battery and said that it's not 100% gone, it still has juice in it. (I too had the idea, since I tested the specific gravity on each cell and all were on "Good" mark, except one which was on a "Fair" mark). He advised itís always better to replace the battery, since its more then 4 years

So the current Exide was replaced with an Amaron. But I couldn't travel anywhere more than 5 kms yet. It seems the issue is resolved now. To make sure, need a drive for at least 25-30 Kms. I am planning for a drive soon to confirm whether the issue is resolved or not and will report if there is any issues.

To summarize, Car starts even if itís hot. As of now the culprit was the battery.
sujithsidhardha is offline   Reply With Quote