Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th March 2010, 18:03   #1
BHPian

Default Roll cage for Maruti Omni

Is it possible to fix roll cage for Maruti Omni? Experts please guide me.
B.R.S.Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2010, 18:32   #2
Senior - BHPian

sounds strange, first of all can you tell us the reason why you want a rollcage in a Omni? I can understand the reason for roll cage in rally spec cars, do you have any similar intentions? Or is it just the aesthetic part of it?
SPIKE ARRESTOR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 10:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yes it is possible, depending on the need. But please be more specific of the need so that we may be able to give you accurate information.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2010, 13:58   #4
CPH
BHPian

It might sound strange but a roll cage can be lethal.

Whether you want a roll cage and/or what type of rool cage depends on application.

Car manufacturers need to striek the balance rght between minimal deformation (not to have the occupants squashed to death and maximum time of deceleration (lowest g-force possible) before the occupants are being squashed.

A roll cage can work adversly on a head on collision.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 00:04   #5
BHPian

The Maruti Omni is a very unsafe vehicle. Nothing can change this. So if you are worried about safety, I would suggest you trade in your Omni for a more well built vehicle.
RedMM340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 00:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

A roll cage to an omni. Iam thinking you think u need it for front safety. Because of extensive highway use. But that really wouldnt work in that case.
Other reason.
Drift?, Track?, Drag spec omni in the making. NICE!!!
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 07:43   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Roll cage might be safer than not having roll cage, it will protect occupant space in a crash. But banging your head against one of those pipes could prove fatal, even if they're covered in foam. So with roll cage you need a restraint system which will pin the occupants in the seat, a 4 point seat belt may be required or a helmet :-) or both :-)

If the roll cage is for your regular street use and you're worried about safety my suggestion too would be to trade in your vehicle and go for a safer vehicle. If you need Omni's practicality look at Eeco.
Sankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 13:25   #8
BHPian

Thx to spike,psycho,cph,remm,danlalam, and sankar. My omni is used inside the Mangalore city to transport parcels, boxes etc., Occassionally I do long trip to Udupi,Karkala etc., A couple of months ago I saw a omni in my friend's garage with its front side completely smashed, and in my mind unknown fear/ fobia started.Yes, I know that Omni is a dangerous vehichle to own and drive. but its utility cannot be matched with any vehicle.I am just wondering , is it possible to strengthen the front part of Omni with some sort of roll cage? Will it work? Please let me know.
Regards
B.R.S.Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 14:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.S.Rao View Post
Is it possible to strengthen the front part of Omni with some sort of roll cage? Will it work? Please let me know.
Regards
It is but I would not recommend it at any cost as it would end up throwing the driver straight into the windscreen in case of even a minor mishap. Do understand that the omni exposes the feet of the driver the first in case of an impact and this could be reduced by fitting a good bull bar ahead (bolted to the chassis and not the bottom bolts types that you get for beautification) , but not a roll cage.

I might sound obnoxious while saying that the omni is not the car for the highway, but as far as passenger safety is concerned please avoid using it on the highway.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 19:24   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.S.Rao View Post
....is it possible to strengthen the front part of Omni with some sort of roll cage? Will it work?...
Its possible, i guess the question is "is it worth it?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPH View Post
....maximum time of deceleration (lowest g-force possible)....
^ Exactly.

Remember, in an accident there are actually 3 collisions that take place.

1) Your car with an object / other car
2) Your body with the inside of the car (this is what seatbelts help prevent)
3) Your internal organs colliding with various other parts in your body

Crumple zones are designed to elongate the time (hence force per second / deceleration) of the collision in #1 above so as to minimize the force in collision #3, assuming you're wearing your seatbelt.

Now the omni in itself is scary, since "crumple zone" and "leg room" could be interchangable terms for this car
So it might be worth banking on the soft rear end of whatever you plan on bumping into.

As psycho said :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho View Post
....this could be reduced by fitting a good bull bar ahead, but not a roll cage....
Which sounds like a good compromise in my opinion.
A rollcage might be overdoing it a little, and probably wont be great for the omni which has a fairly high Center of Gravity anyway.

Most importantly - drive safe. Follow the principles of safe driving (eg. 2 second rule etc) and that will do more for you than a roll cage or bull-bar could.

cya
R

@CPH - this is the car we're talking about
Name:  Omni5.jpg
Views: 1398
Size:  12.9 KB

Last edited by Rehaan : 30th March 2010 at 19:40.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 20:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
The Maruti Omni is a very unsafe vehicle. Nothing can change this. So if you are worried about safety, I would suggest you trade in your Omni for a more well built vehicle.
I agree.
Mr. Rao, I wouldn't risk driving an unsafe vehicle on the highway.
I've done it before, but don't do it anymore.
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2010, 20:57   #12
BHPian

Default :)

NO! Its ok inside the city. Its not a bad car, But it was different in the 80Z and early 90z. It was ok inside the city then. It was never a highway car. I think it has no Passive or active safety about it! Space yes in the 80z and 90z (better options now), Safety always a no.
YaeJay is offline   Reply With Quote