Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th April 2010, 14:03   #46
BHPian

Default @sgiitk

As far as vintage acrs and bikes are concerned , i guess they will be allowed to run as long as they are within the original specs and come under the exhaust norms...

I dont think any body will reregister their vintage.. may be only name transfer
Who would like to loose his registration number ???
ajay2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 19:34   #47
BHPian

Correct me if I am wrong, all the cars registered till date would continue to run in all cities in as is condition (including vintage). The BSIV rule would apply to only the new cars post the effective date. I guess after 15 yrs of age, you would be expected to get the FC done at regular intervals and would be allowed to use your vehicle irrespective of vehicle age. However, I am not sure what happens to an old car requiring an engine replacement. Would the new rules apply? Or can I get the same modified in the old RC?
harishF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2010, 20:01   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Using BS4 fuel in BS3 engine as far as diesels are concerned will be the death knell for the engine as far as injection pumps are concerned. Sulfur is the lubricant for most CRDI pumps. Correct me if I am wrong.
Sir, I do not agree to your POV. Modern cars do specify vehicle owners to run cars with low sulphur diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@GTO: what do they do for a Vintage Car?
They are exempted. In some cities a green tax is also paid for the exempted cars.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2010, 14:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@GTO: what do they do for a Vintage Car?

The rule should be the car should conform the the standards applicable at the time of first registration/manufacture.
I believe Vintage cars are not driven every day on the road. They are only taken out on the roads on special occasions like vintage car rallies. The emission norms, in principle, should not apply. Also there may be special provisions for vintage cars (in which case the RTO/Government may also have a list of cars/models that are declared to be vintage).

The rule indeed is that the car has to conform to the standards applicable at the time of its first registration. That's why vehicles already registered in the cities where BS IV norms come into practice from April 2010 have been registered as BS III compliant. Also the emission norms won't apply to any existing BS II or BS III compliant vehicles.

Of course, the government may force you to phase out your really old (and polluting) car in the next few years by upgrading the general emission norms. Just as they did with the taxis in Mumbai.
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 12:56   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Sir, I do not agree to your POV. Modern cars do specify vehicle owners to run cars with low sulphur diesel.

They are exempted. In some cities a green tax is also paid for the exempted cars.

adding My 2 cents to the above, we are running BS4 fuel since atleast Feb10 or even before that. You were not thinking that fuel changed from BS3 to BS4 overnight on April1st. The tanks have to be emptied and cleaned before the new specs come in. So its been atleast 2 months and dont see anybody facing any problems till now. the high usage customer (read cabbies) should atleast be complaining by now if there was a problem.

Last edited by enzo10 : 13th April 2010 at 12:57.
enzo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 19:38   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo10 View Post
adding My 2 cents to the above, we are running BS4 fuel since atleast Feb10 or even before that. You were not thinking that fuel changed from BS3 to BS4 overnight on April1st. The tanks have to be emptied and cleaned before the new specs come in. So its been atleast 2 months and dont see anybody facing any problems till now. the high usage customer (read cabbies) should atleast be complaining by now if there was a problem.
The problem is while the rest of the country shifts from BS II to BS III compatible fuel, you cannot take your BS IV car outside the metro limits without worrying about BS II or even lower grade (adulterated) fuel causing problems with your fuel system/engine.
Old 14th April 2010, 13:34   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunkumars View Post
Can we also get a list of cars that are gonna face the axe once BS-IV is into effect.

Autocar mentions that Fabia petrol, Octavia 1.9D, Tavera along with M800 will be discontinued in metros.
Any new additions to that list?

Ikon, Getz are alos in the list. The Getz as far a know is out of the market also.
Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2010, 03:18   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nope, the Mumbai RTO will no longer allow you to register an out of state BS I / II / III used car as a Mumbai car. However, cars that are already Mumbai registered (BS I / II / III) can of course be transferred within Mumbai.

One option available to you is to register the Jeep with a Nasik RTO (or any other town). That's of course if you have a valid address.
Am confused about this part - do you mean to say that if i move from Bangalore to Mumbai with a BS3 car, i will not be allowed to re-register in Mumbai ! Or does the statement apply only to purchase of a BS3 case even if its second hand ? I read somewhere that only new cars sold from dealership will be registered only if they are BS4 compliant. Am not sure if this applies to resold vehicles.
srikanths1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2010, 20:45   #54
Senior - BHPian

I guess there's no clear answer to this. Already registered vehicles should actually have no problem being transferred to another RTO, so I am assuming that you could transfer the car's ownership to Mumbai RTO. However you would still have to carry the original registration number, KA or whatever series you have, and cannot get a new MH registration number.

On checking a few websites, I came across another interesting question: If BS III vehicles are allowed to be registered outside these designated BS IV cities, but they can still ply on the roads everywhere, how is BS IV being enforced? Though I admit that even if the government enforced the BS IV and BS III combinations it would still be a huge step towards controlling emissions. What we need now is a proper vehicle disposal system whereby older vehicles such as BS I or BS II compliant can be either refitted with BS III/IV compliant systems or scrapped so that they can be recycled.
Old 18th April 2010, 16:07   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I guess there's no clear answer to this. Already registered vehicles should actually have no problem being transferred to another RTO, so I am assuming that you could transfer the car's ownership to Mumbai RTO. However you would still have to carry the original registration number, KA or whatever series you have, and cannot get a new MH registration number.

There is, as stated earlier, if its within the same state no issues as your registration doesnt change, its just change of address in the RC.

But if you planning to move states and that too from a BSIII to BSIV city, It wont get registered as any registration requires the vehicle to be BSIV compliant in these states/ cities.

Under these circumstances, its better to sell the vehicle in the same state before moving.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2010, 22:58   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
On checking a few websites, I came across another interesting question: If BS III vehicles are allowed to be registered outside these designated BS IV cities, but they can still ply on the roads everywhere, how is BS IV being enforced?
BS IV is still being enforced with new vehicles. This BS-IV norms applies to all new vehicles being sold. So the manufacturer must have to ensure that the vehicle being produced meets BS-IV norms before selling. Otherwise RTO will not register this vehicle.
But the existing vehicles on road will not have any impact on this.

Daily 1000's of vehicles are registered and 1000's of vehicles are being scrapped. So over a period of time we can see lot of BS-IV complaint vehicles on road. I guess the same happened when BS-III was enforced.
_abhishek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 11:01   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanths1 View Post
Am confused about this part - do you mean to say that if i move from Bangalore to Mumbai with a BS3 car, i will not be allowed to re-register in Mumbai ! Or does the statement apply only to purchase of a BS3 case even if its second hand ? I read somewhere that only new cars sold from dealership will be registered only if they are BS4 compliant. Am not sure if this applies to resold vehicles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
There is, as stated earlier, if its within the same state no issues as your registration doesnt change, its just change of address in the RC.

But if you planning to move states and that too from a BSIII to BSIV city, It wont get registered as any registration requires the vehicle to be BSIV compliant in these states/ cities.

True, I was enquiring regarding the same since i got my BSIII honda activa from Hyderabad to Bangalore when I shifted my job last month. Didnt think about this issue and by time I applied for new registration number it was past april 1 deadline. So now on paper I will only be able to pay road tax here in Bangalore but keep the old AP number plates and continue riding the vehicle.

Contacted an RTO agent and he informed even though after april 1 all vehicles getting registered in bangalore should be BSIV but for old re-registration vehicles the RTO people are not bothering to check if its BS III or IV (Some kind of under table dealing i guess). Hence went and paid tax, got the vehicle inspected submitted the papers last saturday (17- April). It will take ninety days to get the new KA registration numbers since they have some mandatory waiting period after sending the AP NOC papers to my old Hyderabad RTO office and waiting. But else hopefully its done without an issue.

Also the agent informed not just in Bangalore for older vehicles RTO's in all metros are OK with older BS varients. He was saying it was this way before also; ie when BSIII was the norm in metors and if you were trying to get any BSII vehicles. As per him only time he had heard about an issue was when he had arranged NOC from KA for a person who shifted his car from KA to WB. He had some issue with registering car in Kolkata. Hence he had to get the vehicle registered in some town outside Kolkata.
mpksuhas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 15:27   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpksuhas View Post

Also the agent informed not just in Bangalore for older vehicles RTO's in all metros are OK with older BS varients. He was saying it was this way before also; ie when BSIII was the norm in metors and if you were trying to get any BSII vehicles. .

True , A year back, I got my 14 year old Zen re registered from Chattis garh to Chennai.
and 90 days is not mandatory waiting.If ur Old RTO replies soon , ur reregistration happens immediately( lets say) after that and good part is , even if ur old RTO does not reply , they will go ahead with the Re registration after 90 days.
Some stupid RTO staff sent my Chattisgarh papers to Chandigarh..
So had to wait the full 3 months ..
Old 22nd April 2010, 15:22   #59
BHPian

In Europe, with Euro II the concept was that the car can monitor its own pollution and PUC is not required. The car wont run if it pollutes too much.

Equivalently, Bharat Stage II should have done away with PUC - but traffic police still ask for the same. I would like to know where the law stands on this - Does a Euro IV vehicle still require the now-redundant PUC every 6 months?
pranav4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2010, 16:32   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranav4x4 View Post
Does a Euro IV vehicle still require the now-redundant PUC every 6 months?
I also have the same doubt....

as long as revenue is generated (read bribe) our law enforcers will not effect any thing..........

sorry state....