Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 31st March 2010, 00:08   #1
BHPian

Default Help needed, underbody damage in OHC

All,

Today was a unlucky day for my OHC 1.5, didn't notice a hump and went over it at a good speed - looks like this has caused some damage in the underbody. Since it was late at night, I couldn't stop and examine the damage. Came home and took a couple of photos that shows the damage.

You can see that there is some kind of a leak, I am not a expert to understand the extent of the damage - can some one help out?

I want to know a couple of things.

1) It looks like the oil sump has got hit, is that a valid assumption? I checked the lights in the dashboard, there was no indication of low oil or anything.

2) The service station is atleast 10Kms from my home, is it ok to drive the car in this state? The car is running well except for some different sound.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Help needed, underbody damage in OHC-dsc00133.jpg  

Help needed, underbody damage in OHC-dsc00128.jpg  

partha379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 01:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

Even if you doubt damage to the oil sump, it is safe to NOT start the car, and have a competent mechanic check the car at home to assess the damage. If a parked car is leaking oil a bit, it will leak a lot more when started.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 09:19   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well the damage is not that bad, you should be able to drive it down to the service station for a check, just keep an eye out for the oil light.
Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 09:28   #4
BHPian

To add more info, the liquid you seen on the floor in the first pic is actually the water dripping because of the AC unit.

I am interested in what the tank holds, am I right in assuming that it is the oil sump. I checked again today morning, the oil light didn't glow - but to be safe I am not taking it out at this moment.
partha379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 09:54   #5
Team-BHP Support

I dont think you have damaged the sump. Just clean it with some good soap water and observe if its dripping, either its the oil that sprayed after oil service or the sump gasket is leaking a lil which is giving the wet look. The drops you see behind seems to be AC condensation water coming from inside.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 10:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

@partha - When did you take the pics? Was it immediately after parking the car? Then there're high chances of water dripping due to A/C. BTW - were you driving with A/C ON or OFF?

Just update us in the morning about the dripping that you see on the floor & if possible update us with some more new pictures.

@Jaggu - I was about to tell the same thing, you spoke my mind.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 11:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by partha379 View Post
The car is running well except for some different sound.
Did you get your car checked from a Mechanic ??
I'm interested to know as what that different sound is ???
sushrutha is offline   Reply With Quote