Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 31st March 2010, 14:25   #1
BHPian

Default Cost of Injectors in common-rail diesels?

Hi,
Recently a friend of mine told me that the cost of an injector used in quadrajet engines is 50k, so for four cylinders, it will be 2 lacs.
Guys, could any one validate this thing about quadrajet(or for that matter common rail engines)? And how long do these injectors usually last/can last?
And in what way, is Tdi different than quadrajet? Now, i know that quad has common rail technology and is much advanced than Tdi, and the process the fuel burns and combustion takes place is different in both the engines, but I would be glad if some one could explain the differences in a better/subtle way. And which technology, Tdi/quad is more reliable for the long run? And what is the basic operational difference between the two?
I will be glad if some one could answer my queries.

Regards.
Johnny_ is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 14:35   #2
MCR
BHPian

Johnny,
1. The cost of one common rail injector(Bosch make) in after market is around 12K. The cost of common rail pump(Bosch make) is around 40K. The warranty period in case of FIAT punto is 2+2 years. This covers the engine and its components. Normally the injectors and pump can run upto 2,50,000 kms witout any problem.
2. The common rail injector is a solenoid operated spring and needle design, Where-as the normal mechanical injector is a sring and needle witout solenoid. Also the nozzle and no. of spray holes are more advanced in common rail injector. Also the injection pressure requirement (1450bar in case of 1.3 Fiat engine) is higher. Hence the higher price.
3. Both the technologies are equally reliable, but you cannot service a common rail injector(unless the nozzle is the only problem). It has to be completely replaced. But a normal mechanical injector can be serviced.

Hope this clarifies your query.
MCR is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 14:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Johnny,
1. The cost of one common rail injector(Bosch make) in after market is around 12K. The cost of common rail pump(Bosch make) is around 40K. The warranty period in case of FIAT punto is 2+2 years. This covers the engine and its components. Normally the injectors and pump can run upto 2,50,000 kms witout any problem.
2. The common rail injector is a solenoid operated spring and needle design, Where-as the normal mechanical injector is a sring and needle witout solenoid. Also the nozzle and no. of spray holes are more advanced in common rail injector. Also the injection pressure requirement (1450bar in case of 1.3 Fiat engine) is higher. Hence the higher price.
3. Both the technologies are equally reliable, but you cannot service a common rail injector(unless the nozzle is the only problem). It has to be completely replaced. But a normal mechanical injector can be serviced.

Hope this clarifies your query.
1. So the total cost is=(12x4+40)=88k? 88k is not too much to spend after 2,50,000 kms i believe.

2.Got your point Sir.

3.You mean to say it shouldn't be touched and once touched(say some problem occurs other than the nozzle), the entire injector needs to be replaced?
Johnny_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2010, 16:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Although there are ultrasonic injector cleaning machines (Delphi doesnt recommend cleaning) and hordes of Diesel injector cleaning additives, try them before going for a replacement.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2010, 13:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Although there are ultrasonic injector cleaning machines (Delphi doesnt recommend cleaning) and hordes of Diesel injector cleaning additives, try them before going for a replacement.
Agreed bro, I just wanted to know how much the cost is.
Regards.
Johnny_ is offline   Reply With Quote