Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2010, 23:26   #1
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,231 Times
Default 2004 Zen Lxi MPi Compressor Oil leaked out! Cost of fixing it: Rs. 20000/32000!!!?

I have a 2004 Zen MPi LXi. Just two days back, I was warming the engine before driving off, after which I switched on the AC. Heard a 'srrrrrrrrrrr' noise akin to the ones heard on Indica diesels. I revved a little and the noise went. But then, the inevitable happened. On restoring the revs, the noise became louder and then the car just stalled!! Bogged down!!

Had the AC engineer take the car to their workshop and he checked and called back.
HE says the oil from the AC compressor leaked out and the compressor is badly damaged. It needs to go! I got a shock. But recovered and asked how much it would cost. He says the compressor costs about 12.5k and the other stuff that needs to be replaced along with it is going to cost about 5k. Labour and gas charging will cost about 2k. So, an estimate of about 19k.

What enraged me further was his honest report about the last few Zens ot have rolled out from Maruti Udyog. He says they come with HORRID Delphi AC systems and was reluctant to let us spend so much on something that is really ghastly when it comes to maintenance. He suggested that if we were spending 20k on refurbishing an AC that has no guaranteed life, it makes sense getting an ENTIRELY NEW AIRCONDITIONING UNIT (for about 32k) from Subros.

I am shocked. Have no words. 32k on a car AC???? I feel like writing a letter to Maruti. But sadly, neither is the car under warranty, and also, the AC has been serviced outside the M.A.S.S.
I feel like banging my head! Is this the LOW COST people associate Maruti with ?????
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 00:43   #2
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 258
Thanked: 26 Times
Default

.75 T room AC price is sub 10K.
32k for car AC?!
I am no tech expert, but are car ACs made of Gold?
subscrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 00:52   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
pulsar56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,173
Thanked: 319 Times
Default

Frankmehta, I don't think the AC compressor of the Zen costs so much to repair. (forget replacing)
Please take a second opinion from a different mech or workshop.

I will try to get the actual costs from my friend's workshop tomorrow and update you.
pulsar56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 03:31   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 97
Thanked: 36 Times
Default

We recently installed a Subros AC in my dad's M800. The cost of the unit was 24000 and the labour was 8000. Also, the tensioner had to be replaced because we are installing the AC. Total bill came upto 37000 with some discounts. I seriously would recommend you to get it repaired. Even if you are going to replace it, get it replaced directly by the AC manufacturers. It should cost you very very less, say 18000
Maxwell Arthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 09:24   #5
BHPian
 
Hashim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aligarh
Posts: 443
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

frank is it R134A or R12 ? I suggest you to go to some other AC workshop where they will be able to change only the compressor. 5k for labor is also on high side. If you don't want to spend much then go for Sanden compressor which cost less than Subros. Last summer I got estimate of 8k from my AC mechanic for changing compressor of m1000 (its slightly weak and cools less).
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 10:48   #6
BHPian
 
scorpian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: GOA
Posts: 270
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

@Frankmehta,
Delphi systems are not bad at all,its just that very few marutis have them and most ac techs dont keep or know how to get them fixed.I have a delphi system running and i have had no issues with all the stunts i have tried,like charging the system myself,trust me i have used this system for my learning and inspite of all abuse its solid.
In your case i guess ur compressor seal has given way which led to oil leaking and ultimately seizing it due to dry run.
I would strongly recomend you get hold of an compressor from scrap or any good mechs who can open it,replace the seals and your good to go.
The compressor can be totally refurbished and all parts are easily available for sanden and subros,for delphi its a lil difficult,your best bet would be pick a sanden/subros compressor and install it,u may need to change the suction and discharge pipes but these do not cost much.

Spending 32k is utter foolishness,your mech is taking you for a royal ride,just dump him and search sumone better.
scorpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:09   #7
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,231 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
.75 T room AC price is sub 10K.
32k for car AC?!
I am no tech expert, but are car ACs made of Gold?
i asked EXACTLY the same question to my ac fella. He said it's just that there is competition and localization in home ac's. Also, the reason why the prices have still not fallen is that there is not so much demand in fitting aftermarket ac's. Almost every car now comes with a factory ac and these companies sell these as OEM's at cheap prices but at retail they earn their profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Frankmehta, I don't think the AC compressor of the Zen costs so much to repair. (forget replacing)
Please take a second opinion from a different mech or workshop.

I will try to get the actual costs from my friend's workshop tomorrow and update you.
Please do so. I am shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell Arthur View Post
We recently installed a Subros AC in my dad's M800. The cost of the unit was 24000 and the labour was 8000. Also, the tensioner had to be replaced because we are installing the AC. Total bill came upto 37000 with some discounts. I seriously would recommend you to get it repaired. Even if you are going to replace it, get it replaced directly by the AC manufacturers. It should cost you very very less, say 18000
What AC manufacturers do you speak of? I don't know if Sanden or Subros has direct distribution/installation in Mumbai.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashim View Post
frank is it R134A or R12 ? I suggest you to go to some other AC workshop where they will be able to change only the compressor. 5k for labor is also on high side. If you don't want to spend much then go for Sanden compressor which cost less than Subros. Last summer I got estimate of 8k from my AC mechanic for changing compressor of m1000 (its slightly weak and cools less).
IT's mostly R134A. 5 k was for other parts. 2.5 k for labour with Gas charging is fine na. Can you give me more information about the Sanden compressors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
@Frankmehta,
Delphi systems are not bad at all,its just that very few marutis have them and most ac techs dont keep or know how to get them fixed.I have a delphi system running and i have had no issues with all the stunts i have tried,like charging the system myself,trust me i have used this system for my learning and inspite of all abuse its solid.
In your case i guess ur compressor seal has given way which led to oil leaking and ultimately seizing it due to dry run.
I would strongly recomend you get hold of an compressor from scrap or any good mechs who can open it,replace the seals and your good to go.
The compressor can be totally refurbished and all parts are easily available for sanden and subros,for delphi its a lil difficult,your best bet would be pick a sanden/subros compressor and install it,u may need to change the suction and discharge pipes but these do not cost much.

Spending 32k is utter foolishness,your mech is taking you for a royal ride,just dump him and search sumone better.
I understand your point. But along with the compressor he says couple of other things might go. That's why the mounting costs.



DOES ANYONE KNOW A GOOD AC SERVICE OUTFIT IN SOUTH MUMBAI? PLEASE SUGGEST! I NEED SECOND AND THIRD OPINIONS.
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:30   #8
BHPian
 
ilangop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune/Neyveli
Posts: 913
Thanked: 578 Times
Default

Frank,
Why not you look around for a compressor in second hand? Something from a vehicle being cut down for scrapping, would do the job. Though if you dont get the one for Zen, grab one from an Indica, and replace with the old pulley if required.
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:34   #9
Senior - BHPian
 
frankmehta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 3,866
Thanked: 2,231 Times
Default

TRouble is, we generally dont believe in buying anything second hand for the car (even our cars are never bought used) so convincing Dad and myself to buy something that 'might or might not' be as reliable as the original/brand new part is scary. We take real good care of the car, and this is something shocking.
Once more, I raise the point here. WHO says Marutis are cheap to service?
frankmehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 11:49   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
kpzen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Faridabad
Posts: 5,545
Thanked: 1,598 Times
Default

Frankmehta,

Since your car has come with Delphi AC system there's no point in getting Subros now because the two setups are different in terms of design and u would have to change each and every element of AC system which will cost u around 32k.

The AC compressor replacement would cost u around 16~17k.
Compressor - 12k
Gas + labour - 4.2k

Thats the price here. Compressor price is fixed, u can negotiate with gas and labour cost.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 13:31   #11
BHPian
 
Hashim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Aligarh
Posts: 443
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

I would suggest staying away from second hand and repairing stuff, you won't be satisfied with results. A good mechanic will be able to do the modification (pipes and mounting) and fit a substitute compressor (since delphi make is costing a lot) in your zen.


I found an Indian supplier selling sanden 507 for $100 (Rs.4500 approx), maybe helpful to you.
SANDEN CAR A / C Compressor Compressor
Hashim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 14:46   #12
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 389
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
I have a 2004 Zen MPi LXi... the last few Zens ot have rolled out from Maruti Udyog. He says they come with HORRID Delphi AC systems and .I am shocked. Have no words. 32k on a car AC???? I feel like writing a letter to Maruti.
I feel like banging my head! Is this the LOW COST people associate Maruti with
Dear frank sorry to hear that you had to face this issue as well.

Some of the Zen's manufactured after 2003 came with Delphi A/C units. Though they performed well but unlike Subros they had the issue of Compressor Oil leak and failure.
I made the mistake of buying a used 2003 Zen LXi some years back with the a/c not working. The owner told me that only the gas needed to be filled. I should have noticed that the A/C belt was also removed.

But since I got the car for a relative bargain I had some money to spend on repairing it. I did a fair bit of research on the issue. I contacted the Delphi Service Provider (through MASS) and according to him only a particular batch had this problem of oil leakage/Failure and the newer compressors were ok. So instead of replacing the entire A/C unit only compressor needs to be changed.
I paid 17,000 about 2 years back for the replacement compressor. I had to wait for two weeks before I got it.

So Frank you could also consider the same, since it isn't wise spending 32000 on a 6 year old car.

And BTW replacing the entire A/C unit in any car would cost the same, if not more.

Since 2003 Zen came with R134 units only.

Last edited by sureshkishore : 3rd April 2010 at 14:48.
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 15:47   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
kiku007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Brisbane
Posts: 1,610
Thanked: 1,223 Times
Default

Frank, what's your luck with cars and service centres?! I was following your Fiesta thread and now this also? Gooluck man!
kiku007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 16:12   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
black12rr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ridin earth now
Posts: 1,259
Thanked: 272 Times
Default

Frank I have the exact same issue but I need to fill the oil in compressor ( i guess so ) . Look my thread here (Zen AC oil leakage ,suggestion please .) .
black12rr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2010, 17:00   #15
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: trivandrum
Posts: 389
Thanked: 117 Times
Default

@black12rr: Saw the pics of the compressor leak on you thread. Its good that you are not using the A/c so the chance of damage is low.
Unfortunately I think, for Frank, the damage has already been done .

Last edited by sureshkishore : 3rd April 2010 at 17:04.
sureshkishore is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Zen 2004 Lxi- Long term Ownership Maxwell Arthur Long-Term Ownership Reviews 17 14th January 2012 03:36
Hyundai i10 ERA or WagonR LXi or ZEN Estillo LXi SumitBahl Hatchbacks 41 12th September 2010 00:41
ZEN LXI 2004 October model available for sale amitlead Shifting gears 5 11th October 2008 12:49
Baleno Vxi at 32000 km filcord Long-Term Ownership Reviews 1 6th October 2008 11:24
LPG conversion for Maruti Zen LXi 2004 model subbusos Technical Stuff 2 28th November 2007 09:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 16:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks