Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Closed Thread
Old 5th April 2010, 15:22   #1
Default My engine jerks on acceleration - Expert advice required please

I have a 1998 model Matiz. I loved the drives and never wish to change the car (Thank goodness, spares are still available).

In December 09, i had a coolant leak. I realised this as my engine temperature shot up and a white smoke like steam came from under the hood (when i parked). As it was night, i drove around 3 kms to home (i would switch off the engine as soon as the temperature gauge would touch red, glide and switch on again). I spoke to the mechanic who advised me to bring the car next morning by adding water in the coolant bottle.

Next morning, as i added water, it just drained out below. Anyhow, I drove to the mechanic ( only 1 km away). He opened the car and showed me that the an assembly (right in the middle of the hood, had coolant intake from one side; the coolant pump was also seen near this entry) had cracked. Pardon me for being so less tech savvy, but then thats why i am posting this here for help.

He informed that a new assembly (it seemed like a plastic container to me), would cost around Rs 5000 but he could seal the leak with m-seal. I agreed for the m-seal option.
I also got the fuel injectors cleaned and calibrated at his advice.

The coolant has stayed in tank ever since. However, while driving, on lower rpms, the engine jerks (as if am not in correct gear). If i release the accelerator and slowly accelerate again, the engine is able to pick up speed.

This is my problem. As I have another car, I have driven Matiz very little since then.

Can anyone here advice me as to what is wrong in my car and how it can be rectified?

I loved the way my car drove and am determined to get her back to the way she did.

Old 5th April 2010, 15:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Are you experiencing like a firing being missed due to which the jerking happens? If yes, then the issue could be attributed to faulty induction coil connecting to the spark plugs. Any vehicle would jerk when driving on higher gear with lower RPM & I'm sure you're aware of that; a possible reason for this could be a clutch slipping; when was the last time you adjusted your clutch?
Old 5th April 2010, 16:11   #3
Team-BHP Support

This could be due to faulty Cables. Check this Similar Thread (Jerks during acceleration in my carb esteem)
Old 6th April 2010, 09:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support:

Please continue discussion here (Weird Issue: Engine jerks on deceleration?). This thread is closed
Closed Thread