Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th April 2010, 03:01   #1
BHPian

Lightbulb Prevent Driving with Handbrakes ON, A Simple Solution

A close friend was upset today as his younger brother drove his wagon-R with handbrakes on.

This has been 2nd incident, and we don't want the young guy to be refrained from taking the car.

I've suggested him to install a BEEP BEEP Buzzer on Handbrake Switch, so as soon as car starts with Hand brake Engaged, you hear a irritating/BEEPS and I am sure you won't be able to drive with this much irritation.

Has Anyone tried this Before ?

I know the brake OIL light comes up when car is Not started but Ignition is Set to ON(the position before Cranking) which will go off as soon as car is cranked.

However I'll be trying this soon on my santro too and would post pics in this thread itself by this weekend.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 03:08   #2
Senior - BHPian

Interesting solution. The flip side I see is if you *had* to have the handbrake on (for example, while waiting in a traffic signal), then the buzzer may prove irritating. The buzzer may be a intermittent beeping one. Or how about connecting the handbrake to the reading lamp? The lamp will keep on glowing (even though the doors or shut!) if the handbrake is engaged.
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 03:59   #3
BHPian

I thought all the cars came with an indicator in the instrument cluster to show if the handbrake is engaged or not.
leodelg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 04:14   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by leodelg View Post
I thought all the cars came with an indicator in the instrument cluster to show if the handbrake is engaged or not.
Yeah! they do - but sometimes people keep driving without noticing warning lights on the dash/instrument cluster.

Having an audible warning can help.
CrackedHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 05:19   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
for example, while waiting in a traffic signal
+1

IMO, one should learn how to drive without engaging the hand brakes by self & no short cuts to be taught. The right way to take a car is
1. Adjust the RVMS's & seat
2. Seat belt
3. Start the car, engage clutch & first gear
4. Disengage clutch to half position so that the car tries to moves (but cannot due to hand brake)
5. Release the hand brakes

IMHO, the kid should be taught rather than being provided a convenient option. Imagine the same happening on a different car & without the buzzer, the hand brakes will still be engaged & driven isn't it?
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 06:48   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Take a parallel connection from the hand-brake sensor, and connect to a red LED mounted in front of the driver. Create a housing for the LED, that can hold a label that says "HAND BRAKE ENGAGED !"
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 07:51   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Take a parallel connection from the hand-brake sensor, and connect to a red LED mounted in front of the driver. Create a housing for the LED, that can hold a label that says "HAND BRAKE ENGAGED !"
But that would be another visual cue, right? Whats the guarantee that if the driver doesn't notice the hand brake on light, he'll notice the LED?

I agree with Aargee. Proper driver training goes miles to reduce freak accidents like this.
predatorwheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 08:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
I know the brake OIL light comes up when car is Not started but Ignition is Set to ON(the position before Cranking) which will go off as soon as car is cranked.
The OIL light will be on until the handbrake if released, even if the car is started and running. Please check the cars electricals
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 08:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post

I've suggested him to install a BEEP BEEP Buzzer on Handbrake Switch, so as soon as car starts with Hand brake Engaged, you hear a irritating/BEEPS and I am sure you won't be able to drive with this much irritation.
And what happens when you are driving up a slope and stop at a signal with the engine running and the handbrake up, or are in bumper to bumper traffic on a slope requiring frequent handbrake usage ? The beep will be irritating to all occupants.

Simply put. one ought to perform all basic checks before driving off in your vehicle... else it might just lead to overengineering everything where we will have atleast 10 beeps and buzzers as reminders for various vehicle inputs that might just lead you to believe you are flying a plane and are about to take off from a red light.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 8th April 2010 at 08:56.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 09:21   #10
BHPian

GHPK,
My uncle has an Accent. WIll his regular work tensions and urgencies, very often he was driving the car with hand brakes ON. He hardly ever noticed the red lamp in the dash board. So I had fitted a BEEP - BEEP (Mostly seen in motorcycles for neutral beep) unit. It still works even after 5 years from installation, and he never again drove the car with hand brakes. This is hardly a half an hours DIY job at an investment less than Rs50/-
-Ilango
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 09:27   #11
BHPian

thankfully my punto comes with this feature pres installed , if i drive with handbrake on , it starts beeping and the light is anyway there like other cars
ms001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 15:22   #12
BHPian

Thank you all for your inputs, Let me think of some nice D.I.Y. to help the Drivers with this habbit.

Its not that a proper training can make everybody drive he car as perfectly as you are, so a dis-engagement system should be installed.

Now I've to think more and bring something SMART
just bear with me :-)
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 15:31   #13
Senior - BHPian

I have an audible warning device apart from the light in the instrument panel! My little son sits on the front seat and is trained to call out sharply "Appa, hannnnd brrraaake" if I forget to release it!
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 15:36   #14
Team-BHP Support

I am not sure if a person so occupied with other problems that he/ she cannot notice a warning light in the dashboard should be driving a car in the first place.
bblost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 15:42   #15
BHPian

Also when one drives with handbrakes engaged, the driver must be feeling less acceleration which itself is an indicator of handbrakes being engaged.
its.me.ankur is offline   Reply With Quote