Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 8th April 2010, 14:08   #1
BHPian

Default Fog lamps for M800. Battery upgrade required?

BHP Gurus, I'm planning to fit fog lamps for my M800 (6 months old/ 12K kms driven).

By doing this, will i need to go for a battery upgrade which is currently Exide 12V. Some say that fog lamps cannot be fitted in M800 as it consumes more power. By fitting the fog lamps, am i breaking the warranty rules of my car. If this can be achieved, please suggest the type/make/wattage of fog lamps that will fit my M800.
Need expert advice on this.
ssengo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 14:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

What's the battery your running now? On a rough search with Exide site (comparing the batteries of cars equipped with fog model like WagonR, Esteem, Swift vs non fog model type like Omnie, 800), I strongly feel that you should be upgrading your battery. But then should the wiring harness also be changed in addition?

By the way, I hope you'll be aware that you need to make a groove in the bumper with additional clamps to fit in the fog lamp on to the bumper OR are you planning to go for Hella kind of fog lamps?

Last edited by aargee : 8th April 2010 at 14:26.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 14:42   #3
BHPian

aarge, i'm running on Exide 12 V battery now. But my plan is not to go for Hella type as it is more powerful and might drain out the battery. But, in rare case when i go for Hella fog lamps, what should be the upgrade specs for the new battery. Should i stay with Exide or go for Amaron type batteries.
Old 8th April 2010, 14:46   #4
BHPian

Most of the car have 12 V batteries. The Voltage is not a main factor its storage capacity i.e. Ampere is the main factor. As per my knowledge the M800 have 35Ah Battery (Do check and tell us) So if you are planning to change battery, I will suggest you to get only Amaron Pro battery with 40Ah capacity.
Talking about Fog lamps, They may break your warranty. Hella fogs rated about 50W will give you good illumination and if you want best illumination go for 100W one.
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 14:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssengo View Post
aarge, i'm running on Exide 12 V battery now. But my plan is not to go for Hella type as it is more powerful and might drain out the battery. But, in rare case when i go for Hella fog lamps, what should be the upgrade specs for the new battery. Should i stay with Exide or go for Amaron type batteries.
Ssengo, the point is not 12V, but the model & amperes. Regarding batteries each one has their own opinion, so I would suggest going through this (Which Battery ?) thread for more on selecting the batteries. Most importantly & my strong suggestion will be to give it to the person who knows the work, who has good experience (over & little will kill). I'm not sure where & how you're going to place the small fog lamps. A small minor mistake on car electricals could land you in a disaster, so play safe with electricity.

Last edited by aargee : 8th April 2010 at 14:48.
aargee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 15:19   #6
BHPian

iamback & aargee, thank you for your quick turn around. Yes, will check the model and ampere and let you know about it. I'm quite frustrated playing with electricals as day by day short circuits happen in cars. Will think twice about upgrading to fog lamps and decide. Thanks a lot again.
Old 10th April 2010, 12:12   #7
BHPian

Default relay may be required

Your current wiring might need an upgrade. You might have to fit in a relay. Most probably as of now, all your electricals go to the steering control switch and then to the lights. That means that switch too handles the current. If u increase your current, the switch might go kaput. So a relay is required. The relay will carry the actual current and will be controlled by a small current going through the switchied on your steering control.
rpads1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th April 2010, 12:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssengo View Post
BHP Gurus, I'm planning to fit fog lamps for my M800 (6 months old/ 12K kms driven).....
When I bought my 800 in '03, I'd considered fitting fog lamps on the bumper, but upgrading the existing lights from 55/60 to 90/100 gave me more than enough light even on highways.
I don't think fog is an issue in Chennai so I assume you find the stock lights inadequate. I suggest you upgrade the lights to 90/100 (costs ~Rs1k I think) and see if it works for you. This requires minimal changes to the electricals (relay, ceramic holders and a few metres of wire) and is not prone to failures.
Edit: Just read on another thread that you have upgraded to 90/100s so my entire post is pretty much superfluous. May I ask why you feel you need fog lamps? Do you drive a lot in the hills? I drove my 800 for 84k km and never really felt the need for additional lights. Of course, I do think that the car looks 'smarter' with a good set of fog lamps.

Last edited by Roy.S : 10th April 2010 at 12:52.
Roy.S is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 10:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
When I bought my 800 in '03, I'd considered fitting fog lamps on the bumper, but upgrading the existing lights from 55/60 to 90/100 gave me more than enough light even on highways.
I don't think fog is an issue in Chennai so I assume you find the stock lights inadequate. I suggest you upgrade the lights to 90/100 (costs ~Rs1k I think) and see if it works for you. This requires minimal changes to the electricals (relay, ceramic holders and a few metres of wire) and is not prone to failures.
Edit: Just read on another thread that you have upgraded to 90/100s so my entire post is pretty much superfluous. May I ask why you feel you need fog lamps? Do you drive a lot in the hills? I drove my 800 for 84k km and never really felt the need for additional lights. Of course, I do think that the car looks 'smarter' with a good set of fog lamps.
Yes, I do travel to hill stations frequently once in 4-5 months. I haven't faced any issues with lighting/fog in hills, but as a safety measure when lights blow off in rare situations or in foggy areas. But as you said, i have fit 100/90 with relay and works great with Philips bulbs, so i don't want to disturb the electrical systems by fitting fog lamps and drain the battery.