Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 25th May 2011, 23:49   #16
BHPian

No Jaggu. I always keep it on half tank or full. I don't know if i've mentioned it earlier but i bought it from a lady who wasn't using it much.I think my car's had a bad history but now she's in good hands . I've fixed the car up and she's perfect now.

Here are a few pics of my car. Next job is getting it a good set of wheels!!

Some fool had tried to mess around with the Hella's.Realized it after i took the pic..It's straightened out now.
Attached Thumbnails
Baleno: Jerk trouble in 1st and 2nd gear-baleno1.jpg  

Baleno: Jerk trouble in 1st and 2nd gear-baleno2.jpg  

Baleno: Jerk trouble in 1st and 2nd gear-baleno3.jpg  

Last edited by Jaggu : 26th May 2011 at 00:41. Reason: Back to back posts, please edit the original post. Thanks.
FJhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 14:36   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Baleno: Jerk trouble in 1st and 2nd gear

@fjhustler

I am facing a similar situation and considering that my baleno is quite old , a 2000 model the problem may be same.

Did you get engine check light on when you had those abnormal jerks. Mine has this issue and mostly in bumper to bumper traffic when you have to run in 1st and 2nd gear with a lot of clutch use.

What was the cost of servicing the pump? is it easily serviceable by any good mechanic?
rock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 14:56   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
@fjhustler

I am facing a similar situation and considering that my baleno is quite old , a 2000 model the problem may be same.

Did you get engine check light on when you had those abnormal jerks. Mine has this issue and mostly in bumper to bumper traffic when you have to run in 1st and 2nd gear with a lot of clutch use.

What was the cost of servicing the pump? is it easily serviceable by any good mechanic?
Hey Rock75. before you get to the fuel pump, please check the sensor as well. I never had the Engine check light come on. But to answer your query, on one of those final checks before i changed the fuel pump , they had also checked the o2 sensor.

Also, wanted to check; when you tun on the a/c, does this problem seem to come on much faster? If yes, then it's definitely the Fuel Pump. What happens is that the engine needs more power to run the a/c, which means more fuel, which in turn comes back to the fuel pump, which obviously is not able to supply the needed fuel (as it is choked). That's why you have those jerks.

My suggestion is to replace the Fuel pump. Please replace it. DO NOT service it or clean it. Also go for genuine parts. I got mine for about 6500/- or 7000 (discounted price). They sell for about 9000 +. While you're at it, also check for all the points mentioned in the post below. Spark Plugs, clutch (important). BTW, one of the other suspects was the ignition coils. Dues to some faulty diagnosis, i replaced mine. (Turns out that the old ones were just as good, no issues). Mine are up for sale in the classifieds section!!
Old 14th December 2011, 15:02   #19
BHPian

it was without AC as winter season has just started, it was just a week back. My first guess was O2 sensor or cam position sensor as reported in other threads. Ignition coil and plugs are fine. Jerking happens only in b2b traffic and after driving for sometime.

I am also having some fine carbon deposit on the exhaust tip of late and some petrol smell when i start in morning.

Another question aren't fuel pumps of other maruti's compatible (like for O2 sensor of alto) which might be cheaper.

Last edited by rock75 : 14th December 2011 at 15:05.
rock75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 15:49   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
it was without AC as winter season has just started, it was just a week back. My first guess was O2 sensor or cam position sensor as reported in other threads. Ignition coil and plugs are fine. Jerking happens only in b2b traffic and after driving for sometime.

I am also having some fine carbon deposit on the exhaust tip of late and some petrol smell when i start in morning.

Another question aren't fuel pumps of other maruti's compatible (like for O2 sensor of alto) which might be cheaper.
Honestly, i've had that issue without the AC as well. I'm quite sure it's your fuel pump. Get it checked. Before you get to the fuel pump please check the fuel pressure being pumped out (under the hood). Please ask your mechanic to have a look at it. If the pressure is low, then it's time to replace. But if you want to get straight to the pump, you'll have to remove the fuel tank and check it. (1/2hr job)

As for the smell of fuel, please check your air filter first. Looks like it's clogged and your car is running on a low air-fuel ratio (High fuel / low air here). As your filter gets clogged, what happens is that the engine effectively stops breathing and there's not enough air to burn all the fuel that flows into it. This unburnt fuel comes straight out of the tailpipe (which is why you get that strong smell of petrol) resulting in increased fuel consumption and a drop in performance.

I use Wurth Petrol additives once in 10,000-15,000kms (experts please advice) to clear the lines.

You can use the 02 sensor of alto but as far as Fuel pumps are concerned, i don't have a clue. I wouldn't suggest an alternative in such matters. That is is the part that feeds your car engine. I know the original is expensive, but i'd suggest you go for it. I see you're from chandigarh so i do have a feeling you might get it for a better price. Look around and see what you get your hands on.
FJhustler is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 22:49   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJhustler View Post
Honestly, i've had that issue without the AC as well. I'm quite sure it's your fuel pump. Get it checked. Before you get to the fuel pump please check the fuel pressure being pumped out (under the hood). Please ask your mechanic to have a look at it. If the pressure is low, then it's time to replace. But if you want to get straight to the pump, you'll have to remove the fuel tank and check it. (1/2hr job)

As for the smell of fuel, please check your air filter first. Looks like it's clogged and your car is running on a low air-fuel ratio (High fuel / low air here). As your filter gets clogged, what happens is that the engine effectively stops breathing and there's not enough air to burn all the fuel that flows into it. This unburnt fuel comes straight out of the tailpipe (which is why you get that strong smell of petrol) resulting in increased fuel consumption and a drop in performance.

I use Wurth Petrol additives once in 10,000-15,000kms (experts please advice) to clear the lines.

You can use the 02 sensor of alto but as far as Fuel pumps are concerned, i don't have a clue. I wouldn't suggest an alternative in such matters. That is is the part that feeds your car engine. I know the original is expensive, but i'd suggest you go for it. I see you're from chandigarh so i do have a feeling you might get it for a better price. Look around and see what you get your hands on.

@ FJhustler - very true with the additives for petrol. I had the same issue but it got fixed with a new petrol filter.
try:
1. petrol filter
2. new ignition leads
3. O2 sensor can be checked before replacing
4. Fuel pump - cleaning and servicing not recommended if you want peace of mind.
Catalyst_delhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2012, 13:14   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJhustler View Post
Hey guys.Just remembered that i had posted here and it's been long since i got back to all of you.

The issue of the constant jerks in the baleno has finally been solved. It was a clogged Fuel Pump. The car was choking a lot due to the pump . The pic shows the amount of dirt that has managed to creep into the fuel system.The car is running beautifully now and performance is much much better!!!
Thanks FJhustler, I am facing the same problem, I will go ahead and check the fuel pump and lets see if that works out for me.
:-)
RoaringEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2012, 12:21   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaringEngine View Post
Thanks FJhustler, I am facing the same problem, I will go ahead and check the fuel pump and lets see if that works out for me.
:-)
Hey roaring engine...hope to hear your engine roar soon!! you take care and send me a message if you need to discuss anything. Will be more than glad to help.
Old 21st May 2012, 14:41   #24
BHPian

Hi FJhustler,

We are having a similar issue with Hyundai Accent.

Is it possible to replace the filter alone instead of the Pump. I've posted the pic in another thread and there has been no response.

The pic is in post 35: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-report-3.html

Thanks
BheemBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2012, 20:43   #25
BHPian

FJ: Sent you a PM.

Team: Please advise.

Is it possible to replace the filter alone instead of the Pump. I've posted the pic in another thread and there has been no response.

The pic is in post 35: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-report-3.html

Thanks

Last edited by BheemBoy : 22nd May 2012 at 20:44. Reason: edited link
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:08   #26
BHPian

Copying the picture from the other thread:

Is it possible to get the filter (mesh part) alone for Hyundai Accent instead of replacing the fuel pump? OR

Can we retrofit other filters into this fuel pump?

Hyundai Accent owners / Experts: Please advise.

Thanks