Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 12th April 2010, 20:27   #1
BHPian

Default Baleno: Jerk trouble in 1st and 2nd gear

I really need this to be fixed soon.

I bought a Baleno LXi (2004) last month. 51k kms done. There are a few fixes which need to be addressed and i am working on it. Ball joints, steering assembly etc.

A few days back, I had ordered for a K&N replacement air filter and got that fixed last week. I went to collect a few more accessories from my friend's place, and after driving for about 40 km, the car started jerking. Pretty bad actually. It would rev properly at idle but as soon as I put it in first gear to accelerate, it would choke and not move ahead, inspite of me flooring it. I somehow managed and drove back home, driving in only 1st and 2nd gear (it would stop at times and I had to push it to the side of the road, wait a while and then start it again). Met a mechanic on the way, he said it must be the spark plugs. There was a faint burning smell.

Next morning, I replaced the K&N with the stock air filter, assuming the problem could be due to it. Took a test drive and it was perfect. Two days later I got the Automech exhaust fixed. Took the car out again the next day and it was smooth and perfect. After driving for about 30 km, it started jerking again. Same old trouble. This time I found a Maruti workshop closeby and stopped there. Now this guy said, spark plugs are fine, just that the left suspension foundation is not bolted tight and that is why it is interfering with the wheels (BTW, I do have a knocking noise from the left suspension when I drive). Got it checked, tightened it, and he said that the whole suspension set-up needs to be overhauled. It ran smooth for about 10 km until I was almost near home. It started choking mildly.

Now here's the trouble, no one is able to pin-point the exact problem of this issue. Here are the various speculations of various mechanics:

- Spark plugs
- suspension overhaul needed
- lose fitting of the engine, needs to be welded in (engine mount)

I need the experts to give me all the advice they can. FYI, I’m in Hyderabad..any suggestions on who could help me with this.

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th April 2010 at 21:33. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external font editors. Please Preview before Submitting posts, thanks.
FJhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 17:01   #2
BHPian

Come on people. Please tell me what needs to be done..I could really do with some help.
Old 13th April 2010, 19:47   #3
Senior - BHPian

First and foremost I would have gone ahead and replaced those spark plugs. Next in the order would be to ensure that my clutch hasn't fried.

Also does the car run normally at a lower rpm or is the jerk evident at a specific rpm?
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 20:10   #4
BHPian

Baleno's does jerk in certain gears and speed, which have been observed by many owners.

But your symptoms seems to be something is seriously wrong, first get your car thoroughly serviced.

Change the spark plugs
Check the ignition coil
Get an OWS treatment done (engine flush, engine protector, gas treatment)
Move to stock filter for time being
Check the complete brake setup.

Check if the revs match the speed for clutch wear.

Few questions:
In the first gear how far (rpm) are your revving for the jerk to happen?
Is this observed with AC on?

Baleno accelerator is very sensitive, try removing your foot off the accelerator slowly before clutch depress. When the clutch is going to engage match the rpms by given a slight acceleration. May be the experts can put this in a right way..
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2010, 23:13   #5
BHPian

Thank u so much for replying rjstyles69 and Mr bean..I am changing the spark plugs and the connectors tomorrow..I'll run it for a while and see how it works. I'm also putting in a new battery. (EXIDE or AMARON..any suggestions?? )

I'll get to the coils if there is an issue after that.

Like i said, these jerks happen only after driving for 25-30kms. After the engine heats up. These are pretty violent jerks and it feels like the engine is choking. Same feeling you get when your bike has run out of fuel. It starts stuttering.The clutch is fine. I don't think there is an issue there.
Old 14th April 2010, 00:03   #6
BHPian

@Mr Bean:
1. I've tried it with the AC on and off. It's the same.
2. I'm back with the stock air filter.

Will keep you updated.
Old 14th April 2010, 08:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

1) We too face this, but more so when I am driving. When my father is driving, very rarely we face jerks. At certain speed and certain rpm, there is this issue of jerking. Whenever this happens, best is to engage the clutch again and then again release it with caution. I think that the excessive torque makes this happen, but that is just a wild guess.

If you are back on stock air filter and if the car is working well, then dont worry, your car is alright.

2) As others have mentioned, get the coil and spark plugs checked. Also get the the throttle body and injectors cleaned. They will mostly charge you independently for these two jobs ( they charged me like that ).
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2010, 20:31   #8
BHPian

Hey guys,

Spent the morning at the mechanics. Changed the Spark Plugs. The previous owner had installed Champion Plugs and they had worn out.

My mechanic got me a set of Denso plugs but the nut size on the plug was big,so had to replace it. Got Mico Bosch plugs and the car seems good so far.

Just hope it doesn't trouble me like earlier.

Will keep you posted.
Old 14th April 2010, 20:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJhustler View Post
Hey guys,

Spent the morning at the mechanics. Changed the Spark Plugs. The previous owner had installed Champion Plugs and they had worn out.

Will keep you posted.
Champion plugs are known to cause problem, one thread exist..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...problem-2.html (Baleno strange problem !)
Mr_Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2011, 23:08   #10
BHPian

Default Re: Baleno: Jerk trouble in 1st and 2nd gear

Hey guys.Just remembered that i had posted here and it's been long since i got back to all of you.

The issue of the constant jerks in the baleno has finally been solved. It was a clogged Fuel Pump. The car was choking a lot due to the pump . The pic shows the amount of dirt that has managed to creep into the fuel system.The car is running beautifully now and performance is much much better!!!
FJhustler is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2011, 09:12   #11
BHPian

Glad you completed the thread by posting a final resolution. There are too many threads out there on Internet forums where people discuss problems but no confirmed solution is in sight!

Besides the good manners, this will help somebody someday for sure.

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 12:13   #12
BHPian

Wonderful that you were able to identify the problem and resolve it and then post the solution here to help others.
how did you suspect the fuel pump to be the problem? please post the pic of faulty part if possible.
infotech58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2011, 16:53   #13
BHPian

Well, i had to close this discussion and help other people who are facing similar trouble.

As for figuring it out, all the "MASS centers" were of no use, what took me a year and multiple rounds to these centers, was taken care by a local mechanic who took only a couple of seconds to figure out the problem. I told him my problem and he had the culprit in a matter of few seconds. yep, that's the truth!!

I've never driven my car so peacefully before this.

having trouble to load the pic (I'm in office), will do it once i'm home.
Old 25th May 2011, 23:23   #14
BHPian

Check the filter on the fuel pump and see how badly it is clogged!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Baleno: Jerk trouble in 1st and 2nd gear-photo0230.jpg  

Old 25th May 2011, 23:26   #15
Team-BHP Support

Do you run the car with low fuel level quite often?
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote