Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


View Poll Results: Vote ONLY if you are an i20 owner. How do you find the air-conditioner effectiveness?
Excellent (Chilly) 17 22.97%
Average (Just about manages) 35 47.30%
Poor (Inadequate) 22 29.73%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2010, 15:37   #211
BHPian
 
saaicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 41
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

I have a i 20 Magna which did 4500Km in one year. In the first service, the advisor recommended removal of the ac air intake filter ( twin filters beneath the dash glove box) to increase the ac cooling.The filters are pretty "meshy" and are double filters. I got it removed and there was a marginal improvement. Subsequently, I realised this was risky and may cause jamming of dust particles and hence void the ac warranty. I removed it around 2 months back. U might try it during the summer if the ac lack of cooling becomes unbearable - but be aware of the warranty issues!

Saayon

Hyundai i 20 Magna 2010
Nissan Tida 2008
Alto Lx (2006) - Sold
saaicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 16:05   #212
Team-BHP Support
 
.anshuman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Good-Gaon
Posts: 7,714
Thanked: 9,019 Times
Default Re: Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

^^ I do not recommend removing the AC filters, it will choke up the system with dirt and also recirculate the dust in the car. Also it would void the warranty. Removing filters is not enough to compensate for a weak compressor, it will only increase flow marginally, the same can be achieved by cleaning the filter frequently.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 20:09   #213
rbp
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 433
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Re: Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

I had been on a 1000+km drive to the sea side(mangalore). I have got the ecu update done, also act filters cleaned and the ac was also serviced with some 3m foam in my car. I would still say the ac performance isnt acceptable, inspite of blasting the ac. at full speed, recirculation mode it took more than 20 mins to cool the cabin to acceptable Levels, mind u the summer is yet to set in, the temp outside was around 34, and I was sweating a lot inside. It is going to be far worse during summers. All I can say is hyundai has taken the customers for a ride. They should atleast provide us an option of ac comp upgrade at a reasonable price.
rbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2011, 19:49   #214
BHPian
 
theoriginal9321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lucknow, UP
Posts: 111
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

Sorry if someone's already answered this but -
Do these ac problems also exist in the new i20's (the variants launched in 2010)?
Thanks
theoriginal9321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2011, 17:15   #215
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,749
Thanked: 89,402 Times
Default Re: Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoriginal9321 View Post
Do these ac problems also exist in the new i20's (the variants launched in 2010)?
AFAIK, all new i20s are sold with updated ECM maps which basically make the compressor work harder.

The ideal solution out here is to equip the i20 with a larger air-con compressor. However, Hyundai can't do that as the li'l 1.2 liter engine is already stressed.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 19:31   #216
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,632
Thanked: 1,257 Times
Default Re: Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
AFAIK, all new i20s are sold with updated ECM maps which basically make the compressor work harder.

The ideal solution out here is to equip the i20 with a larger air-con compressor. However, Hyundai can't do that as the li'l 1.2 liter engine is already stressed.
GTO,why cant they plonk in a bigger compressor atleast for the 1.4 CRDI and 1.4 petrol?I am sure the compressor wont stress those engines much and end result is a much better AC.the 1.2 engine can continue with a remapped ECM
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 19:40   #217
BHPian
 
theoriginal9321's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lucknow, UP
Posts: 111
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

^^ I think its because they dont want to affect the sales of the 1.2, as people are already convinced that the 1.2 is underpowered and then knowing that it also has a smaller compressor compared to its siblings would put people really off, it would look like hyundai is itself accepting that the AC is weak, if you get what I mean .
theoriginal9321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2011, 00:17   #218
BHPian
 
Rodeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 349
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

Last time i gave my car for servicing they tweaked the A/C (revamped ECM). I though it fixed the issue but hot days back in Hyderabad, i dont think its fixed. We already started struggling with only one person in the car.

Last edited by Rodeo : 26th January 2011 at 00:27.
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 11:38   #219
rbp
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 433
Thanked: 257 Times
Default Re: Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

Had been to Mysore this weekend, I was shocked by the heat in Mysore, but more shocking was the i20's AC cooling prowess inspite of Hyundai's so called AC fix, Mysore was blazing hot with temps reaching 35+, and the shity AC in the car was as bad as it can get, the AC set to full blast, recirculation mode and the blowers screaming their lungs out, all it felt was as if there was a blower with tiny fans put into it, my wife at the back was cursing me and my kid was crying non stop unable to bear the heat.
Hyundai was cunning in highlighting its AC fix in all major news papers during the rainy season, the summers are gonna expose your lie. Hyundai is a CHEAT, I am gonna take the car to the dealer and give the dealer a mouthfull, I want to talk to some one in Hyundai, Hyundai this is my last car from your stable I will never ever buy a Hyundai again.

PS:- My cars AC was recently serviced and the so called AC fix was also in it.

Note :- People looking out to buy an i20, I would advice you to stay away from it, there are other better cars in the market.
rbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 12:30   #220
BHPian
 
Rodeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 349
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Had been to Mysore this weekend, I was shocked by the heat in Mysore, but more shocking was the i20's AC cooling prowess inspite of Hyundai's so called AC fix, Mysore was blazing hot with temps reaching 35+, and the shity AC in the car was as bad as it can get, the AC set to full blast, recirculation mode and the blowers screaming their lungs out, all it felt was as if there was a blower with tiny fans put into it, my wife at the back was cursing me and my kid was crying non stop unable to bear the heat.
Hyundai was cunning in highlighting its AC fix in all major news papers during the rainy season, the summers are gonna expose your lie. Hyundai is a CHEAT, I am gonna take the car to the dealer and give the dealer a mouthfull, I want to talk to some one in Hyundai, Hyundai this is my last car from your stable I will never ever buy a Hyundai again.

PS:- My cars AC was recently serviced and the so called AC fix was also in it.

Note :- People looking out to buy an i20, I would advice you to stay away from it, there are other better cars in the market.
I so much share your feeling, its terrible even after Hyundai providing the fix. Another thing is they can get steering rattling problem fixed. I thought it was fixed for mine but still not satisfied. I am hating this car for other reasons as well. Need to write that review as it might be off topic in this thread.
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 12:39   #221
Senior - BHPian
 
wildon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,405
Thanked: 1,040 Times
Default Re: Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Hyundai was cunning in highlighting its AC fix in all major news papers during the rainy season, the summers are gonna expose your lie. Hyundai is a CHEAT, I am gonna take the car to the dealer and give the dealer a mouthfull, I want to talk to some one in Hyundai, Hyundai this is my last car from your stable I will never ever buy a Hyundai again.

PS:- My cars AC was recently serviced and the so called AC fix was also in it.
We got our first review of the Hyundai AC FIX at the right time, and it shows how the company lied. The interesting thing is that the summer is just got started.
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 12:40   #222
Senior - BHPian
 
download2live's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,103
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

With two critical problems, e.g. Steering problems and the AC issues, I am really at loss to explain how i20 is clocking up such impressive sales figures.

The reports of Hyundai's A.S.S is also not very encouraging. There is already a thread on it.

I will bet on the herd mentality of Indians. Otherwise such sales figures are impossible to explain.

P.S: I would rather have a safe stable car rather than soft to touch interiors. So the i20's interior does not cut ice with me.

Last edited by download2live : 7th March 2011 at 12:42.
download2live is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 13:28   #223
BHPian
 
Rodeo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 349
Thanked: 21 Times
Default Re: Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
With two critical problems, e.g. Steering problems and the AC issues, I am really at loss to explain how i20 is clocking up such impressive sales figures.

The reports of Hyundai's A.S.S is also not very encouraging. There is already a thread on it.

I will bet on the herd mentality of Indians. Otherwise such sales figures are impossible to explain.

P.S: I would rather have a safe stable car rather than soft to touch interiors. So the i20's interior does not cut ice with me.
This exactly what i was thinking, how are they getting these sales? What makes Indian buyer buy a car, i thought we first take feedback from existing owners. I have already got my tyres replaced at 9000 Kms because of steering issue though it was Hyundai took the cost but i had to fight with it. Another major issue with my car is it does not climb steep slope, like getting out of Mall's cellar parking. First they said turbo needs to be adjusted which they did but still i cant stop half way on slope and then get it going. I have Magnum D and Palio D and these cars climb effortlessly on those slopes.
Rodeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 13:40   #224
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: -
Posts: 4,705
Thanked: 3,845 Times
Default Re: Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

Looks like I have to scrap plans to sell off the santro now. I was looking at i20 diesel as replacement but still I don't feel convinced.
sidindica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2011, 14:15   #225
BHPian
 
Daewood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 943
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Weak Hyundai i20 air-conditioner. EDIT : Test results on pg. 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodeo View Post
This exactly what i was thinking, how are they getting these sales? What makes Indian buyer buy a car, i thought we first take feedback from existing owners.
The advantage for them is most of the average owners haven't noticed this problem at all. Two of my friends have i20. One a car user for past 10yrs has noticed the problems, the other one who is pretty new to cars never knew the problem existed even after using the car for close to 1.5 yrs, till we made him realise it.

Last edited by Daewood : 7th March 2011 at 14:16.
Daewood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which home/office AC (air conditioner) to buy ? adityapd Gadgets, Computers & Software 5554 9th December 2017 03:32
Fitting an Air-conditioner in the Maruti 800 navdeep Technical Stuff 95 24th March 2012 17:07
Best ROOM Air conditioner Max Shifting gears 2 3rd April 2006 09:52


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:24.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks