Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2010, 10:17   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,773
Thanked: 89,496 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
I am particularly impressed by the respected Col Gogate, who has instructed Mr Gidwani to ask me to come down personally so they can assess my grasping abilities, as I don't have an automobile/engg background. Neat work I say.
This personal touch is so very important; I am mighty pleased with the attitude too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Do you think such a course would be worth the time/money/effort?
Crazy Driver (and others) : Let me reiterate, this program is best for freshers. I don't think its suited to a profile like yours (i.e. already professionally occupied in the corporate world) as the opportunity cost is way too much. End of the day, this is NOT an MBA. It is a very basic program meant to train future service engineers / advisors.

To me, this program is best for those who have just graduated, and are looking at a career within the automotive service sector (whether employment or entrepreneurial).

Quote:
Haven't been to Mumbai. How good are Navnit motors?
It's an A+ grade organisation and represents some of the biggest luxo-brands.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 10:39   #17
Distinguished - BHPian
 
CrAzY dRiVeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Bangalore / TVM
Posts: 8,975
Thanked: 16,772 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Crazy Driver (and others) : Let me reiterate, this program is best for freshers. I don't think its suited to a profile like yours (i.e. already professionally occupied in the corporate world) as the opportunity cost is way too much. End of the day, this is NOT an MBA. It is a very basic program meant to train future service engineers / advisors.

To me, this program is best for those who have just graduated, and are looking at a career within the automotive service sector (whether employment or entrepreneurial).
Thanks GTO. I understand your point.

However, I am looking to exit from IT (Permanently). Hence the IT work experience doesn't value much (Other than the soft skills earned, and industry expore), does it? Suppose if I am to do an MBA program, will I be able to get into the automobile sector, since I dont have work experience in this sector? Won't that prove to be a disadvantage at that stage?

Won't it be an advantage if i have atleast basic experience under my belt, to complement my degree in Automobile engineering? Another plan is to quit some time before this year's CAT. After the exams, join any service centers for basic experience (Without having to pay them, of course! ).

OT: If this is going off-topic, i'll be glad if you could PM the reply.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st April 2010 at 10:45.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2010, 19:15   #18
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 47,773
Thanked: 89,496 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Hence the IT work experience doesn't value much (Other than the soft skills earned, and industry expore), does it?
The money will! Opportunity cost = What you could be earning while you are in the classroom. If you go for Navnit's 9 month program, your opportunity cost is 9 months of your current salary.

Quote:
Suppose if I am to do an MBA program, will I be able to get into the automobile sector, since I dont have work experience in this sector?
A good MBA will get you into any sector, leave aside the automotive.

Quote:
Won't it be an advantage if i have atleast basic experience under my belt, to complement my degree in Automobile engineering?
How many years of work-ex do you have?

Quote:
Another plan is to quit some time before this year's CAT. After the exams, join any service centers for basic experience (Without having to pay them, of course! ).
Fresh service advisors get paid anywhere between 7K - 15K. You ready for that?

Lets continue our discussion in the MBA thread (you can quote my post there for replying). We are going way off-topic here.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 14:10   #19
Distinguished - BHPian
 
volkman10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: --
Posts: 10,068
Thanked: 15,606 Times
Default Re: Want to learn the mechanics of a car? A "workshop training" course!

5 day proficiency Program on Vehicle body Engineering at ARAI (23-27 Jul'12)

Quote:
The aim of this training programme is to elaborate on the concept, styling, construction, design and analysis of vehicle bodies. This will cover

bodies of cars, bus and commercial vehicle cab.
Cheers!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Vehicle_Body_Engineering.pdf (146.6 KB, 617 views)
volkman10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2015, 22:56   #20
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Delhi
Posts: 44
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Want to learn the mechanics of a car? A "workshop training" course!

Folks, is there any programme available in NCR somewhere that helps understand various aspects of a car including its mechanics? I guess even half a day spent with an expert familiarising oneself with the functioning of a car will be a great exposure. For most car users like me, car remains a mystery.
itinerant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2017, 22:49   #21
BANNED
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 316
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Want to learn the mechanics of a car? A "workshop training" course!

Sorry for bumping up old thread, do we have any such course available in Hyderabad.
Thanks.
niv26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2017, 08:48   #22
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 524
Thanked: 226 Times
Default Re: Want to learn the mechanics of a car? A "workshop training" course!

In the nineties, Radio Bhavan, in Mumbai used to have a 8 weekends long course. Not sure if they are still around, and offer this still. Ofcourse it was easier then- less tech and 2- 3 models of cars. The other alternate was the driving school. I remember that driving schools in Thane used to have 1 day dedicated to theory where they would give you a brief knowledge of the engine and its workings.
ajayclicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Royal Enfield Mechanics Thread: All mechanics requirements and queries here sreerajunnithan Motorbikes 423 7th October 2017 14:31
Safe Driver Training Course - October 2014 @ Delhi GTO Street Experiences 14 2nd November 2014 23:55
Offroad Marshal Training Course - Level 1 (Junior) Tejas@perioimpl 4x4 Technical 42 4th June 2014 18:16
Alert: Mechanics inside company authorised workshop resort to car audio speaker theft sidindica Indian Car Dealerships 4 20th January 2011 20:27


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:54.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks