Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd April 2010, 20:52   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerfan View Post
H.A.S.S has reverted saying the compressor coil have burned off . 6K is quoted for replacement
Surprisingly Elantra's AC coil costs half of that quoted price.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 23:47   #17
BHPian

I have heard back from HMP. They have told me that there is nothing wrong with the engine. There is something called 3point valve which has gone bad and need replacement. Estimate for repair is about 6k.

I have told them to get the repairs done. I will be getting the car tomorrow. My SA has assured me that everything will be alright. Keeping my fingures crossed that this is the end of it and hopefully everything will indeed be well.

I also plan to write a review of my experience with Nimbus Hyundai.
vickey_jai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 13:55   #18
Team-BHP Support

^^^ This valve is also called Divertor valve. Failure of this part was a regular problem in Ford Ikon.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 18:37   #19
BHPian

Smile

Got my car back yesterday evening. I have driven it around 150 Kms after that. Only once did AC stop working when standing at a red light, could be for any reason.

So everything seems to be in order for now. Hope it remains this way.
Old 25th April 2010, 19:07   #20
Team-BHP Support

What do you mean by AC stopped working at traffic, did the compressor cut off? or was the compressor ON and blower throwing hot air?
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2010, 19:10   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
What do you mean by AC stopped working at traffic, did the compressor cut off? or was the compressor ON and blower throwing hot air?
Yes compressor did cut off.
Old 26th April 2010, 14:37   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^^ This valve is also called Divertor valve. Failure of this part was a regular problem in Ford Ikon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickey_jai View Post
Yes compressor did cut off.
In case of Ikon, it blows hot air. Here is the thread I created on that http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...n-c-issue.html (Ikon a/c issue)
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 15:25   #23
Team-BHP Support

If compressor cuts off it means gas might be low, or there is some loose connection or malfunctioning in one of the sensors. Do get it checked.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 00:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

The compressor has a Coil, which can be a problem here. The Jugaad which Mechanics apply to determine this is by linking a Wire from Compressor to Battery directly and if the wire burns and melts, it means the Coil is at fault. I got the Coil of my Santro changed for 800 bucks + 200 installation from the AC Mechanic.

Since your car is out of warranty get it checked by a reputed AC Shop. Trust me, these guys are better in handling such matters than Hyundai Service who take ages to determine the root cause and charge you a fortune. Even if the coil has to be replaced, they'll ask for a complete compressor change. Hyundai Service Centers are Cash Cows, keep on minting money from the unaware customer but when you're a BHPian you know the way out.
tsk13 is offline   Reply With Quote