Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2010, 14:06   #1
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 192
Thanked: 172 Times
Default Question on scratches / rust

1. My Alto which was bought in Dec 2007 has developed rust on the underbody on the joints leading to the exhaust. Is it recommended to go for anti-rust coating or leave it as it is? If coating is recommended, who does the good job in Bangalore and how much it costs? I use the vehicle only on the weekends when I go out with family and has never been left standing without use for more than 1 week at a stretch. Total kms run is 6000 kms. The parking is in the apartment basement with plenty of air circulation.

2. About 6 months back the car got hit by a scooter and the right door took the impact when the scooter hit it perpendicularly and left a scratch all the way from the right door (near handle) down to the right rear wheel. The place where the impact happened has a scratch of about 6 inches and is slightly deep (the paint is gone) but the other long scratch is visible but not deep. When I took the vehicle for servicing in January, MASS gave me a quote of 3500 rupees for work to be done near the door (after insurance claim). Can the scratch near the door cause rust in future? Is there any workshop in Bangalore, apart from MASS, who can do a good job? How can scratches, which are not deep, be removed?
AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 15:08   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
rjstyles69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bengalooru..
Posts: 4,345
Thanked: 790 Times
Default

Quote:
1. My Alto which was bought in Dec 2007 has developed rust on the underbody on the joints leading to the exhaust. Is it recommended to go for anti-rust coating or leave it as it is? If coating is recommended, who does the good job in Bangalore and how much it costs? I use the vehicle only on the weekends when I go out with family and has never been left standing without use for more than 1 week at a stretch. Total kms run is 6000 kms. The parking is in the apartment basement with plenty of air circulation.
How much of rust are we talking about here ? Rust usually isnt a common phenomena here since we aren't in close proximity to the sea. However if you are keen on getting the anti-rust coat done, most dealerships do it at a cost. I think the price is around 3k or so.

Quote:
2. About 6 months back the car got hit by a scooter and the right door took the impact when the scooter hit it perpendicularly and left a scratch all the way from the right door (near handle) down to the right rear wheel. The place where the impact happened has a scratch of about 6 inches and is slightly deep (the paint is gone) but the other long scratch is visible but not deep. When I took the vehicle for servicing in January, MASS gave me a quote of 3500 rupees for work to be done near the door (after insurance claim). Can the scratch near the door cause rust in future? Is there any workshop in Bangalore, apart from MASS, who can do a good job? How can scratches, which are not deep, be removed?
If the paint surface is cut, over time it could cause small amounts of rust and also the paint could peel off. The best thing to do is to get it painted and with an insurance claim the amount quoted (3500/-) is quite steep.Usually during an insurance claim you mostly only pay for labor during a paint job. The amount usually is less that 2k. You might want to check with other places .

If you don't wanna go to a MASS then try some local garages which have a good paint booth. You might want to check this thread here about Sai Colorium in Bangalore.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2010, 17:57   #3
BHPian
 
Mr.Bangalore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 359
Thanked: 43 Times
Default

@AltoLXI if you could post few pics of the under body (which is rusted), and also the area which is to be painted will help to give the inputs
Mr.Bangalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 09:00   #4
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 192
Thanked: 172 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bangalore View Post
@AltoLXI if you could post few pics of the under body (which is rusted), and also the area which is to be painted will help to give the inputs
I have posted the snaps taken today morning. In the first snap the area behind the nut has rusted. The snap did not come out well.
Attached Thumbnails
Question on scratches / rust-img_0890.jpg  

Question on scratches / rust-img_0891.jpg  

Question on scratches / rust-img_0892.jpg  

Question on scratches / rust-img_0893.jpg  

AltoLXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 11:48   #5
Team-BHP Support
 
Jaggu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 17,752
Thanked: 7,476 Times
Default

Silencer end can, clean thoroughly and apply a heat resistant primer and coat it with heat resistant paint. This should give you some more life. The pipe and bolt nothing much you can do, so let it be.


Doors if you have access to dent less repair, you can fix it easy. Otherwise it will require slight tapping/putty work and then painting, being metallic shade you will have to do the whole piece and do color matching. I suggest you leave it as it is after a light rubbing and polish.
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 23:53   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,298
Thanked: 462 Times
Default

I strongly suggest rubbing the currently rusted areas with some sandpaper / steelwool before application of paint/primer.

Without proper surface preparation, any coating will just be an eyewash..
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Self-healing paint / coating makes scratches vanish yogi1771 Shifting gears 20 8th June 2017 11:01
Windshield Scratches removal DRC Technical Stuff 86 10th October 2016 19:30
Fuel-tank Rust Removal (by Electrolysis) & Rust Proofing H3LIOS Motorbikes 30 19th May 2014 14:26
Removing Paint Scratches ? cheatingdeath Technical Stuff 17 19th December 2009 23:14
Body scratches girishab Technical Stuff 8 19th October 2004 21:15


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks