Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th September 2013, 15:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: AC clutch malfunctioning sometime when AC is ON

There is some noise every time when I turn ON the AC irrespective of Engine Temp. The noise remains for 20-25 secs. and goes off on its own. I changed the AC Belt Idler and Belt but still the problem is present. Also the AC compressor turns on after 10-15 secs of turning the AC ON (Pressing the AC Button).

When I showed to a mechanic, he said that the AC Clutch has become Jammed. Hence the belt is making noise even though the Tension is correctly adjusted.

Is the diagnosis of Mechanic is correct?
The car has run 174KKms and yes the Cooling is Very Good.

EDIT: -
The Clutch cost around 1280/- + Tax. + Labour Extra.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2013, 19:35   #17
BHPian

Default Re: AC clutch malfunctioning sometime when AC is ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
There is some noise every time when I turn ON the AC irrespective of Engine Temp. The noise remains for 20-25 secs. and goes off on its own. I changed the AC Belt Idler and Belt but still the problem is present. Also the AC compressor turns on after 10-15 secs of turning the AC ON (Pressing the AC Button).
Is the diagnosis of Mechanic is correct?
The car has run 174KKms and yes the Cooling is Very Good.
1.To test the Clutch - Remove the ac drive belt and try to rotate the outer pulley. It should spin freely. If any resistance is felt then the clutch is faulty.

2. A/C compressor engaging after 15sec- It could be faulty A/C clutch.
Remove the two pin electrical connector going to the clutch, ask someone to press the ac button while you check for power in the connector as soon as AC is switched on by using a Digital multimeter or a 12v bulb with a holder and wire.

Most probably the bearing of clutch has worn and hence the noise.
interc00led is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote