Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 19th April 2010, 21:55   #1
BHPian

Default AC clutch malfunctioning sometime when AC is ON

My lancers AC was good, but for the past 3-4 days, sometimes when AC is ON, it switches off automatically for some times and again compressor is loaded. I had noticed through Hot air from blower when AC is running.

I have also confirmed this problem by looking under bonnet, When i switch ON the AC, it works fine most of time, but suddenly the clutch is released and only the pulley is rotating(clutch stops rotating). and after few minute or a minute, the clutch automatically engages itself and compressor gets loaded. So the clutch is slipping, not the belt. What should i do to rectify it. And what is the cause.?

Gas is charged, and it works good when AC clutch engages.
rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 13:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

AC clutch? What is this? And what do you mean that the compressor gets loaded?
wanderernomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 13:51   #3
Team-BHP Support

I guess the condenser is heating up. Go to a car wash guy, and ask him to blast water at the grill in front of AC compressor. Often debris blocks air flow.
Alternatively, check if fan (for condenser) switches on. If that fan fails, it can cause compressor overheating which leads to AC cutting off.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 14:01   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivanoj View Post
My lancers AC was good, but for the past 3-4 days, sometimes when AC is ON, it switches off automatically for some times and again compressor is loaded. I had noticed through Hot air from blower when AC is running.

I have also confirmed this problem by looking under bonnet, When i switch ON the AC, it works fine most of time, but suddenly the clutch is released and only the pulley is rotating(clutch stops rotating). and after few minute or a minute, the clutch automatically engages itself and compressor gets loaded. So the clutch is slipping, not the belt. What should i do to rectify it. And what is the cause.?

Gas is charged, and it works good when AC clutch engages.
Rajiv,
What you said about the AC clutch is normal and thats how it works on every vehicle. The clutch is always disengaged and the compressor pulley rotates freely untill you switch on the AC. Again you have the option to set the cabin temperature. Upon reaching the set cabin temperature, the clutch is again disengaged and this cycle goes on till you turn off the AC. This is not the case of clutch slipping.

Coming to your problem, there could be many reasons. Probably the thermostat control is fauly, a loose AC belt, blocked condensor (as mentioned in the previous post) and so on.
ilangop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 16:46   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
What you said about the AC clutch is normal and thats how it works on every vehicle. The clutch is always disengaged and the compressor pulley rotates freely untill you switch on the AC. Again you have the option to set the cabin temperature. Upon reaching the set cabin temperature, the clutch is again disengaged and this cycle goes on till you turn off the AC. This is not the case of clutch slipping.
^ Exactly!

Now, if the AC is blowing nice cold air when the compressor is engaged - then chances are that there is no problem with the condensor etc.

Is there actually a problem? Does it start to blow hot air? (ie does the compressor remain off for that long?) Is your thermostat/temperature set all the way towards the cold(blue) side?

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 17:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I guess the condenser is heating up. Go to a car wash guy, and ask him to blast water at the grill in front of AC compressor. Often debris blocks air flow.
Alternatively, check if fan (for condenser) switches on. If that fan fails, it can cause compressor overheating which leads to AC cutting off.
+1 to this.

I recently started having a similar problem with my Octy's Climatronic (ACC). The compressor works intermittently even before the cabin temp reaches the desired level. For example if the outside temp is 42 and I set the cabin to 24 then even for the initial 15 mins the compressor does not work continously (which it did previously). I took it to a mechanic and he told me to do the exact same thing tsk has mentioned above. I am yet to do it though and hence can't tell you if it will work or not. But hey, that's a free solution - right? It won't take much of a time and results should be immediately felt. So no harm in trying this out. If the problem remains even after that then you can go see a good A/C mechanic.
Cesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 19:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

A/C disengaging is common but if you're getting warm air from the vents, then maybe the clutch is disengaging too early. Could be getting a wrong reading from the cut-off sensor.

Shan2nu
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 20:46   #8
BHPian

The problem is solved now.But will test it tomorrow and give final result.

Went to an AC mechanic, and after getting meter readings from the AC line, he suspected low pressure of gas and then he released oil which was blocked in valve. it came about an half tumbler full. He said, since the gas is low and the presuure went down and the oil got locked in valve, so then he top up ed the gas , and checked grill temperature, it came to 5.5 degree celsius, and he said this may happen if gas pressure is low. But i thought the field coil has gone weak.

I have drove about 5 kms, no problem , but will tell you final result once i drive around 20 kms tomorrow,

thanks for all the feedback guys, this forum helps all to get knowledge,
Old 20th April 2010, 22:15   #9
BHPian

The problem explained by your AC Mechanic seems to be correct approach.
lets hope you get the cooler drive as always.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2010, 13:48   #10
BHPian

The problem is not solved, after re checking with ac mechanic, he tested all means like back pressure, relays, fuse, wiring etc, And finally spotted thermostat cut off as problem, since it is circuit setting which is in blower, its malfunctioning when it reaches desired temperature.

He have checked with other spare thermostat, and it worked fine. But he says it costs around Rs.1400 - 1500 , but he also suggested on replacing with mechanical thermostat like in M800 , which we can set temperature by screw driver, it may be around Rs.450/- .

So let me wait for some time and then see what happens. If original thermostat is available at less cost? in bangalore or delhi?
Old 10th May 2010, 08:11   #11
BHPian

I need this spare,which my mechanic call as AC thermostat cut off switch, and mitsubishi call as AC thermo sensor. My mechanic says it is costly , around Rs.1400. but he can install maruti 800's mechanical cutoff adjustment , it costs around Rs.400.

It is under glove box and the sensor is in blower, not the cut off switch. only the temperature sensor will be inside blower and the wire leads to this black switch. Where shall i get it.
Attached Images

Old 9th June 2010, 23:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

So when you swapped the thermostat with a working one then did the cooling improved?
Have you changed the thermostat now?
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 00:10   #13
BHPian

yes, it was working fine, when with other sensor, which the mechanic had. But when i asked him about it. He said it is costlier , about Rs.1300 for actual lancer part, and Rs.450 for manual adjustable thermo sensor (in which we can manually adjust cut off temperature). Then i said let me try from other source for original for low price.

Then , next day, went to an AC spares shop, and enquired about price. They said, lancers is not available. but can replace it with other modern cars sensor, only thing is, we have to connect the wires manually, (contact clips wont suit each other cars) . price is also less , around Rs.200 only. so i asked my mechanic about it. So I think he felt guilty about the price difference, and soon after, he started telling that, there may be some other problem..

So i keep fingers crossed. And i have decided to show to other mechainc
Old 10th June 2010, 01:09   #14
Senior - BHPian

You know now whats wrong and still you are asking out here what else can you check. So what are you worried about. Get a new thermostat and shut it/forget it. Enjoy the chill, Rs 1300 is not to expensive for all the sweaty days you will have due to non working AC.
Randhawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 22:29   #15
BHPian

My problem is solved today, After getting an good mechanic, After inspecting and trying all chances for 45 minutes, he checked wiring, and it was loose neutral wire, which led to problem, and its been sorted out. for Rs.100 labour.

But i am not worried about spending for spares, but it should not be trial and error. So we can exactly spot the problem .

Thanks all of you, for guidance and ideas.