Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 23rd April 2010, 18:46   #31

I have always felt the same. My Logan DLS feels more energetic after getting full tank. Today after reading this thread I think it could be also technically true than only mind logic.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd April 2010 at 19:49. Reason: Removing [Font] tags, please avoid copy paste from external fornt editors, also Preview before Submitting posts. thanks
_Vyenky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2010, 19:44   #32

well, i definitely second that. i also feel the vehicle (whether a bike or a car) to become smoother when tanked completely full.

This question has been buzzing around my mind for the last decade or so. i spoke to a physics prof of mine. he had an interesting theory on this. water has the inherent capacity to absorb vibration by vibrating against / absorbing the vibration of the environment by creating ripples in it. this phenomenon is normally used in very high rise buildings to counter earthquake jitters and normal high wind storms.

the same principle can be applied to the vehicle. when the vehicle vibrates, the liquid absorbs the vibration thus reducing it and also reducing the clitter-clatter - resulting in a "smoother ride sensation". needless to say, when the fuel levels recede, the vibrations increase and when the fuel in almost empty, the empty fuel tank will infact help echo the engine sound back (like a bass speaker drum), actually amplifying it - giving it a "not-smooth drive".

I am a microbiologists, selling medicines. so if the answer is an ignoramus's paen, kindly excuse.

mishranishant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2010, 11:09   #33

This is a nice thread, indeed. Needless to say, I'm posting here because I've observed a difference in performance as well as a result of difference in available fuel. But am not too sure if my observations have been in line with the most repeated experience here. I've certainly observed the car running faster and lighter when the tank is near empty but smoothness of the drive does increase when the fuel load is heavier.

Akadian is offline   Reply With Quote