Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 28th April 2010, 13:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I don't know whether it is the summer heat, but my car battery went kaput almost two months after I started parking the car in the hot sun. I used to park under shades of trees before that.
From my experience (car parked on the road for all the elements to mess up with, since 2004), external elements won't mess up with the mechanicals or electricals of the vehicle. So if the battery went kaput, it may have something to do with the battery than the sun. (On a lighter note, the sun could probably charge the battery up, not drain it down, don't you think? )
honeybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 15:03   #17
BHPian

I am not sure about the effects of heat on the car battery. Think modern day cars are built to withstand harsh weather conditions. However, some amount of care might be required for the dash board and the leather components.

After market paint jobs tend to fail under extreme heat too. To some extend, extreme heat effects the fuel efficiency too as there's more load on the air-conditioning unit to cool the cabin.
XLR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 15:52   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
No perfumes

Llumar Sunfilm on all windows

Seat Covers : Natural Leather.

Still I am wondering, why does it happen in my car only ?
Have you tried any elimination process? Does it disappear as soon as the car cools? Like when you drive briefly with the windows open?

I would suggest that you drape a thick fabric / bed spread on the leather seat covers once and see what happens.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 16:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abes View Post
In my personal experience, the batteries don't last for more than 2 years. Don't know if its due to the heat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
From my experience (car parked on the road for all the elements to mess up with, since 2004), external elements won't mess up with the mechanicals or electricals of the vehicle. So if the battery went kaput, it may have something to do with the battery than the sun. (On a lighter note, the sun could probably charge the battery up, not drain it down, don't you think? )
Yea it may not be due to the heat. That battery was 4.25 years old. In my experience, all batteries that I've used lasted at least 4 years.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 16:29   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Have you tried any elimination process? Does it disappear as soon as the car cools? Like when you drive briefly with the windows open?
I would suggest that you drape a thick fabric / bed spread on the leather seat covers once and see what happens.
Yes it does disappear in a minute or two when I open the windows. But the initial entry burn in the eyes is too irrating.

Will definitely explore the choice of bed spread. But will the leather have that effect ? Thinking a lot about the same.

Sorry about the hijack of the thread, but thought its relevant to the subject
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 16:52   #21
Senior - BHPian

No, pure leather should not have that effect. Just a hunch. May have something to do with the chemicals used to cure the leather.
Gansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2010, 16:54   #22
Team-BHP Support

Happened to stumble across this article. Might have some useful points :

LINK

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote