Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 30th July 2010, 23:46   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarchist View Post

The SE says this is very rare case and the explanation given was the fuel station have to check for Density every hour before dispensing diesel which they rarely do and when the mositure in the tank comes along with the tank and condenses to water once it reaches the tank this happens. There is no way to prevent this and one has to pray that this doesnt happen.
Recently my friend faced the same problem with his Icon tdci, it gave a warning indicator on the dash and it refused to start and had to be towed to the a.s.s. They took two days to check what is wrong and they also said the fuel tank had water. Me and my friend were because he fills up only at shell. If this is true then we never know when its gonna happen to us
prguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 02:21   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prguru View Post
Recently my friend faced the same problem with his Icon tdci, it gave a warning indicator on the dash and it refused to start and had to be towed to the a.s.s. They took two days to check what is wrong and they also said the fuel tank had water. Me and my friend were because he fills up only at shell. If this is true then we never know when its gonna happen to us
Diesel, unlike Petrol, does not evaporate all that much. Hence there is a good chance that all Diesel storage tanks, including the one in our cars, has some amount of moisture due to water condensing due to atmospheric air. Want to avoid this? Keep topping 'er up to full tank!!
ph03n!x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2010, 20:16   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
If it NEVER comes on at all when you turn on the key (not crank), then you have a problem. If it comes on and goes off before you start the car, then its fine.

It may be a loose connection
Sometimes when i turn the key it comes on and then goes out automatically, on other occasions it doesnt come on at all...looks like a loose connection somewhere.
cyberwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 07:55   #19
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Water found with Diesel in my Getz CRDi - Fuel Tank

The 'Water in Fuel' Indicator in our Xylo glows intermittently (after every 30-40 kms approx.).
I have drained the water from the Fuel Filter myself many times. But still the Indicator comes on.

As I (and our Xylo too) was not getting time I had got the Diesel drained from the Fuel Tank through drain plug (of Fuel Tank) around a month ago and filled fresh diesel.

But still the problem persists.

Is it that I have get the Diesel Tank removed from car and clean it and refit back?

Also are Diesel Filters available of Various Varieties for a particular vehicle?

I had fitted a Diesel Filter bought from Partsbigboss.in
But I don't think it's culprit as the Diesel Filter prior to that (I had bought it locally) was showing water in Fuel too but not immediately. In fact the Diesel Filter bought locally did not show indication for @40000 kms for that matter.
Also the Diesel Filter bought for Elite i20 from Partsbigboss.in does not give any indication.

Please experts suggest solution on this.

Last edited by IndigoXLGrandDi : 19th June 2017 at 07:56.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 08:27   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
The 'Water in Fuel' Indicator in our Xylo glows intermittently (after every 30-40 kms approx.
I am having my doubts on the sensor. Can you get a spare sensor and replace in your car and see if things solve.

Or if you can try another cars sensor, it'll be better. If it works then get a new sensor.

EDIT:

Part Name: Water in Fuel Sensor, New
Part Number: 0305DAC00621N
Price: 1,952

Last edited by a4anurag : 19th June 2017 at 08:36.
a4anurag is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th June 2017, 13:53   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
I am having my doubts on the sensor. Can you get a spare sensor and replace in your car and see if things solve.

Or if you can try another cars sensor, it'll be better. If it works then get a new sensor.

EDIT:

Part Name: Water in Fuel Sensor, New
Part Number: 0305DAC00621N
Price: 1,952
Thanks Anurag for reply, part number and price of sensor.

As I already mentioned that
The 'Water in Fuel' Indicator in our Xylo glows after running 30-40 kms approx. after draining the water.

Suppose if I drained the water from the Fuel Filter, the Indicator comes on again after running anywhere between 30-70 kms. (depending on the distance covered in one stretch).

Sometimes the car gives trouble while cold start. I have to remove air in Fuel line by pumping the Fuel filter.

As I (and our Xylo too) was not getting time I just got all the diesel drained from the Fuel Tank through drain plug (of Fuel Tank) around a month ago and filled fresh diesel. I did not remove the Fuel Tank from car.

Regarding sourcing spare sensor from another Xylo at MMASS, it is difficult to source the same as I don't go to MMASS.

Also the distance after which the indication comes is not fixed. So if I source the sensor from someone, how many kms should I go for trial?

Suppose I got the sensor from someone, there are following two possibilities-

1. what if even that sensor showed indication?
2. That sensor did not show indication. So I buy new sensor from shop and what if the newly bought sensor showed indication.
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   Reply With Quote