Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 4th May 2010, 17:09   #1
Default iKon's AC system never serviced in 6yrs. What to do?

Hey guys, i have an iKon 1.3 petrol around 6.5 years old. Dad used to drive it till 4.5 years and last 2 years, it is with me. AFAIK, the AC has never been serviced and now, in this blasting heat, the AC is cooling good but not great.I Therefore, it isn't doing it job perfectly (considering the fact that the engine is still in top notch condition).

The car has a service due on 9th May (86000 kms done). Please help me out what should i talk to the service advisor about. Full service or Gas filling.
Also, could there be some other problems? Please help me reg. some steps i myself can take to check whether there is a major problem or minor.
thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 18:08   #2

When i was reading the other post regarding the AC servicing, i had read about advise of servicing the AC system for every 5 yrs.
However, i am still wondering what all is done in AC servicing.
1. Will the compressor be dismantled and every part be cleaned?
2. Compressor Belt's tensity being verified
3. AC gas refilled
4. AC connecting piping cleaned

If all the 4 are not being taken care & if you have the problem with just the cooling affect then why AC servicing?

Why dont you talk to the Authorized service center?
santhosh_lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 19:24   #3
Team-BHP Support

Just ask them to do a clean up of the coils which would have accumulated dust and grime over the years, then ask them to do a top up of gas. This should suffice. Dont get into complex refurbishing if its a healthy system.
Jaggu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2010, 20:20   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Adding to what Jaggu said, you may ask them to do a clean up of the AC vents and pipes. 3M has an AC vent cleaning disinfecting product in its product portfolio, they offer this service through car dealerships, you may enquire about the same. 6 Years is a long time and it is a good idea to do this if the AC doesn't feel fresh.
Sankar is online now   Reply With Quote