Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th May 2010, 15:31   #1

Default Clutch slipping and hot AC

I've a 2005 Honda City - 67K running and been facing this problem recently - sometimes (often on hot afternoons), my clutch starts slipping (engine revs higher than normal) and whenever that happens, my AC starts blowing hot air. Switching off-on the AC doesn't help. Also, when I turn off the AC, clutch slipping goes away (engine comes back to normal revving). If I stop the car for 10-15 mins, everything comes back to normal.

I've noticed that during early mornings or evenings when climate is cooler, I do not face clutch slippage nor the hot AC problem. It peculiarly happens during afternoons.

First of all, is abnormal engine revving really a clutch slippage? If yes, why doesn't it happen all the time and only sometimes (let's say once or twice every couple of days).
What should be the problem with AC?
Is the clutch slippage and AC blowing hot air interlinked in any way?

What do I need to get fixed? Since I am not a petrol head and do not much know what's under the hood, suggestions on what should I tell the service center would help. Asking as a pre-cautionary measures so that I do not fall into any of the "must-change-this-and-that" scams and a corresponding dent on my pocket.

Thanks,
Parag

Last edited by Eddy : 6th May 2010 at 16:04. Reason: Removing formatting tags
2parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 17:45   #2
BHPian

I would suspect the following
a). the coil in the compressor, i had the same revving issue earlier, and it costs Rs.1000/- in market to get it fixed where H.A.S.S. wanted to change the entire unit.

b). Temp sensor.

gas level needs to be checked

Based on my past experience and read on forums, i would insist on showing the car to a car A.C. expert rather than company service center
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 23:26   #3
BHPian

I fully endorse ghpk, since my A.S.S asked me to change compressor which costs Rs.37k, but when shown to AC mechanic, he found the culprit as AC temperature sensor which is in blower. And I am waiting to change it for my lancer. soon.

Just go to an good reliable AC mechanic and check it. Ask him to check in presence of you. Else he may say he had changed relays, gauges ,etc etc.
rajivanoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2010, 16:18   #4

AC compressor clutch was indeed the culprit. H.A.S.S. quoted me Rs. 11K to fix it (I guess, they were talking about changing the entire unit). Anyway, I don't think H.A.S.S. guys repair anything or just the damaged part of it, they simply change the entire thing to ensure 'new-car-like' quality. I heard the guy saying if there is a problem with compressor itself, it would cost me somewhere around 40K.

I wonder though what may have caused the AC compressor clutch to malfunction? Actually, to me 60-70K KM running is actually not much. Aren't these (esp Honda) cars supposed to run miles and miles without causing these problems (with normal use, of course, not talking about itentional car abuse).
2parag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 09:17   #5
BHPian

Default Re: Clutch slipping and hot AC

Restarting the thread as facing similar issue.

I have a Honda City Gxi 2005 [41k kms]. Recently while driving on Western Express Highway at 7.30pm, i faced a long snarl of bumper to bumper traffic. Maybe post odd 30 mins in the traffic driving on 1st gear only, the AC cut off [no cooling whatsoever] and the engine started revving to 2000 rpm. That is when i engage the 1st, release the clutch and after covering a distance, release the accelerator and press the clutch again, the RPM shoots to 2000 [should fall down to the idealing i.e. 700-900]

This problem of rpm going till 2k disappeared as soon as i switch off the AC [there was no cooling anyhow]. I tried switching on the AC again, but the same happened, no cooling and rpm till 2k when clutch pressed.

Got panicked but had to go for a movie. Started the car after good 3 hours and all was working fine.

The next day i went to lonavla and my mechanic suggested that there wont be any problem as the engine must have heated up during the long traffic and AC continuous on. But to my surprise, the same happened at 1pm, the AC was cooling good but post odd 30 mins the ac cut off [no cooling] and rpm shooting to 2k. The problem again disappeared at evening.

Can someone please advise on what can be the problem and solution for the same or Mumbai colleagues suggest some good guys for fixing this up? I stay at Mulund.

Planning to visit my AC guy and Mechanic on Saturday.

Regards,
J

PS: I just bought this car 2 months back and serviced the AC a month back. Hence i request for valuable inputs from fellow bhpians so I don't end up spending unnecessarily and the root problem is not addressed
vorajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2014, 10:36   #6
BHPian

I too have a Honda city ZX VTEC and faced a similiar issue.Hence I chose to answer your concern to a certain extent.
The main culprit here is your clutch of the air conditioner.It is a electromagnetic device which couples the compressor to the engine when we switch ON the aircon.It is a 24v activated coil and is energised when the aircon is switched ON.Over the time it becomes weak and may slip.You need to visit a good aircon mechanic who can fit the same without venting out any aircon gas if he has certain amount of dexterity.The coil can be procured from a good genuine spare part dealer and should set you back by around 3500 INR.(since you are Mumbai based,Sundar Auto in worli can be a good option).The local ones cost 1500 INR including fitting,but eventually fail early.Hope it helps.
cotterpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 17:15   #7
Senior - BHPian

^^ +1 to that

I agree with @cotterpin ; had the same issue in my Corolla two years back.

Once the electromagnet on the clutch begins to age , it is not able to magnetise and hold the compressor clutch disc after a while of operation.

The spike to 2000 rpm or so that you see is alternator loading up because of more power actually being drawn by the electromagnet

You will notice that the problem will not be seen when you run your ac afterthe car has been idle for a while ; the problem will kick in after,say 30 mins or so.
vigsom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 18:48   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotterpin View Post
It is a electromagnetic device which couples the compressor to the engine when we switch ON the aircon.It is a 24v activated coil and is energised when the aircon is switched ON.Over the time it becomes weak and may slip.
Are you sure its 24V? Why not straight of the 12V battery.

I'm not familiar with this particular type of car, but I have fixed a number of Acs on a number of different cars and I have encountered the odd problem with the coils, but more often the clutch plates themselves and or the bearing give out. Easy enough to fix and you will know for sure soon enough when you start taking it apart. Usually the bearing will be noticeable with some distinct noise.

Before taking anything apart I would always check the filling of the system and if your car has an OBD connection, hook it up and read those fault codes. If its a sensor malfunctioning it will show.

Take all but 3-4 minutes and you know where you are.

Always, and I mean always be very skeptical of people who want to replace the whole compressor as soon as there is something wrong with the AC. Compressors do break down, but it is nearly almost always something much simpler and cheaper that is the culprit of AC's malfunctioning.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2014, 23:49   #9
BHPian

@Jeroen sir:Perfect.Apologies on my behalf to quote 24v instaead of 12v.With deepest respect to your experience,I am a bit sure about this type of model a.k.a(Honda city gxi,zx etc).This car has a dubious record of failing compressor clutch.The compressor is of denso make and lasts for ages.The coil is the culprit and the ASS quotes for whole compressor assembly.I still feel he should get his coil checked.I myself had a failed compressor clutvh which I got replaced for a local make.It has lasted for a year(15000kms) and has failed again.Pls accept my thanks for correcting me.
cotterpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2014, 20:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

I would agree this looks like a clutch problem. Get the serpentine belt off. Dismount the compressor assembly , and have a technician separate the clutch from the compressor.
Before you replace the clutch, check the bearings and condition of the oil/grease. You can infact do a rebuild - it will be cheaper than replacing the clutch.
joybhowmik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2016, 13:50   #11

Restarting the thread again
So I own a 2007 Honda City ZX Gxi that has run close to 80k km.
I bought this car an year ago when the odo read 73k
The AC worked fine when I purchased the car but this summer season the AC stopped cooling.
I got the AC serviced but the guy told me that the compressor/condenser ( I don't know if he said one or both of them) were faulty and might need to be replaced so you must run the AC upto fan speed 2.
I tried doing the same but now the AC gives up whenever I drive for more than 5km and blows hot air.
The mechanic quotes ~15k to change both the things.
Also, after the mechanic serviced the AC, when I switch it on sometimes my car's RPM needle shoots to ~2k rpm even in neutral.
Please advise me on what to do as Delhi's summers are killing me at 45 degrees
anoopsngh95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2016, 14:05   #12
Senior - BHPian

Can you also check if you have throttle position sensor. Throttle and throttle position sensor related issues automatically puts the engine is safety mode safe enough to drive to a mechanic shed but useless to use it for excited driving.

Ride by wire means definitely a way to sense throttle activation.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2016, 15:46   #13
BHPian

I had faced a similar issue in my Honda. The RPM shoots up when you are on idle and have the AC on and settles when you drive?
vorajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2016, 17:07   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoopsngh95 View Post
Restarting the thread again

I got the AC serviced but the guy told me that the compressor/condenser ( I don't know if he said one or both of them) were faulty and might need to be replaced so you must run the AC upto fan speed 2.
I tried doing the same but now the AC gives up whenever I drive for more than 5km and blows hot air.
The mechanic quotes ~15k to change both the things.
Also, after the mechanic serviced the AC, when I switch it on sometimes my car's RPM needle shoots to ~2k rpm even in neutral.
A compressor is an expensive component and costs anywhere from 25k onward depending upon the brand and capacity. The condenser sits near the radiator while the evaporator lives inside the cabin. Each can cost at least 12k and above. So your mechanic is not going to change both the compressor and the condenser from the quote he gave.

Get another mechanic to investigate what the problem actually is. It could be the compressor clutch which is acting up. When the AC system uses excess energy, your engine ECU tries to increase the rpm to feed the requirement. A failing electromagnetic clutch would draw higher power and that is the first likely component to check.
Prowler is online now   Reply With Quote