Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 6th May 2010, 20:48   #1
BHPian

Default Cielo AC Gas

Hi guys,

My Cielo's AC gas leaked a few Days back and i am not able to find the appropriate gas at any repair shop (read as 12#), help me out here and suggest some alternatives. Also can something be done to make the AC run on the 134# Gas?
Arpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 21:29   #2
BHPian

Just change the compressor oil to 134a type,flush the entire system,use nitrogen to check for leaks and then fill 134a gas just like normal gas charge.This is the most easiest way and done almost everyday here.

Hope this helps,if the ac guy says it cant he is trying to fleece you for the conversion
scorpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 10:53   #3
BHPian

hey thanks scorpian, could you please give me an idea about how much time the entire process should take and what it should cost?
Arpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 13:04   #4

Hi,
Originally cielo cars used R12 gases,are you modify the A/C system?
most of the time cielo A/C evaporator leaks is critical.You tell the technician first check the evaporator.

SkodaRam
SkodaRam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 13:24   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Just change the compressor oil to 134a type,flush the entire system,use nitrogen to check for leaks and then fill 134a gas just like normal gas charge.This is the most easiest way and done almost everyday here.

Hope this helps,if the ac guy says it cant he is trying to fleece you for the conversion
This is a very good way but sometimes it might not help as in case the compressor is weak than right cooling might not come.

If that Happens the solution is change the compressor.

I tried this for a friends old zen 2002 as that was using R 12 - Since the gas is banned by Indian Govt so we tried this way but invain resulting change in compressor.

Thanks & Regards
Anupam00
anupam00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2010, 21:28   #6
BHPian

The entire process,thats with dismantling everything,checking compressor seals,evaporator,pipes etc etc,if you do it the proper was should take you anywhere between three to four hours,the last part gas charging dosent take long.

R134a is relatively cheap,however car a.c guy would charge you anything between 1500 to 2k,back then when i used to do the same cost of 134a refrigerant was about 340 bucks a kg,car a.c hardly requires anything thats why car a.c business is one of the most profitable.

Heres a tip companies like GOdREJ and whirlpool import 134a gas in small cans which contain 500gms of gas,try to get one of this u will get in any goof refrigeration shop,why i say is coz this gas is the purest and gives the best cooling for minimum quanitiy mainly coz of its high purity

all the best
scorpian is offline   Reply With Quote